[fixed] Compressor/Gate Zipper Noise

ARF

Inspired
Hello…..

Just downloaded 12.06 and am noticing some new behavior in the Compressors/Gates.

If Attack (and/or release) times are below 6ms I get serious zipper noise during the level change stage of the compressor. Basically once the transient has passed the unit can't seem to resolve what to do with signal near threshold.

Happens with every compressor and gate on input block...especially bad on Optical Comp. Seems like it is fighting itself…..turning itself up down up down…..and creating this zipper distortion. As soon as it arrives at a steady state it is gone. Also if I turn attack and release time up to more than 10ms it decreases….or becomes tolerable....long look ahead values also help.

Works normally on percussive input but as soon as I try to sustain note/chord it starts zippering as it gets to the threshold level and then the compressor seems to fight itself and oscillate around the threshold level. Very annoying....did not notice this before 12.06 upgrade....may have been there but masked.

I understand that this is a normal potential behavior of compressors with fast attack times but usually internally compensated. If I go to my UA 175B Tube Comp (or others) with same settings/input I do not get this behavior unless I have extreme ratio/makeup gain ranges.

Yes, I have already rebooted the whole system many times. Also tried different guitars and cables.

Happens if I take an empty new patch and do just connect Input > Compressor > Output….so not corrupt patches.

Input gain staging at In Block is set to +2db which means loudest transients hit maybe +3 on meters. Compressor settings designed to step on transient (fast attack with 4:1 ratio) then 100-300ms release to unity....threshold around -30. Results in about 6db gain reduction on transient so +4db boost on output level.

Used to do a nice job of trimming transients with smooth ride to unity....now zipper city.

Any ideas?

alex

No changes....happens to any instance of that type of compressor.

....and just compressor test in empty patch gives same.

I am testing now for consistency.....thought for a minute it was intermittent....but not really.

Same on gate at input block....depending on settings it seems to dance around threshold level not knowing if it really wants to close gate....yes, no, yes, no etc....until level finally reaches a solid trigger point.

.....also checked if maybe the input block gate and compressor block were fighting each other....but no....happens when only one is engaged as well.....

Just tested the Optical type here. Works great.

Sounds like you have a hardware problem. Start with your guitar and cables first. After that contact support.

Tried looking for 12.06 to reinstall.....only found 12.03 available.

Seems like Fractal Bot only has access to 12.06....and won't let me reinstall.

Any idea where I can find 12.06?....or how to trick Fractal Bot into installing again?

Spoke too soon.....problem still there especially in Optical Comp.

Going back to 12.03 to see if there is any difference.

I have experienced this too, mainly at the tail of a long note. Sounds kinda fizzy to me though, like distortion... I wonder if it’s the same thing. My TC Nova dynamics pedal used to do it too, like it was having decision anxiety about letting go.

Hello tysonlt....yes exactly!! Can easily be naked by other FX especially distorted ones. Really obvious on clean tones. You can even see it on the Compressor meter bouncing up and down in sync with the distortion....as you say "anxiety about letting go"....threshold seems to be a range that the signal is getting trapped in. Testing now on stripped down patch with alternate AXE inputs, cables and guitars.

Did you disable the input gate on any of these tests? Intelligent type can distort the signal when attack and release values are both very low.

Back
Top Bottom