FIXED: Clipping when moving from Q8.02 to A1.03

parisonj

Just updated my Axe FXII XL from Quantum 8.02 to Ares 1.03, and as soon as soft resetting the Amp block, the output from that block is much louder than previously - enough to permanently light output clipping.

Most of the patches I'm working with are using the HiPower Jumped model, where I had an output level of -2dB before, I've had to dial it down to -18dB or so to get back to where I was.

Has anyone else had the issue, with this amp model or any other, maybe this was a change from 8 to 9, or 9 to 10, rather than to Ares specifically? Don't necessarily have a problem doing it, other than several hundred to change, more curious as to why a model's output would change that significantly...

Most of my patches do have an FX Loop prior to the amp, could that be the culprit?

My system settings appear to be identical before and after the update.

Your suggestions please! Thanks

Hi,
The value isn't what bothers me so much (other than a lot of patch updating). Other amp models i've used have been down in that area.
The bit i'm more concerned about is "why such a profound change?". Unless of course the answer is that the hiwatt models were always too hot and this brings them into a similar line to others. have i missed something in the release notes - couldn't see anything that would result in this.

i wouldn't worry about it. there have been a lot of changes recently, so it's possible that it's perfectly normal. a big change in the negative feedback value, or some other parameter related to the poweramp can quite easily hike the volume.

And you did keep track of the parameters that are rest to default after a soft reset? Like master volume?

yep, tend to screenshot the various pages before as a sanity check. the switches (cut, bright, boost, etc.) always seem to need resetting for a start.

Just updated my Axe FXII XL from Quantum 8.02 to Ares 1.03, and as soon as soft resetting the Amp block, the output from that block is much louder than previously - enough to permanently light output clipping.

Most of the patches I'm working with are using the HiPower Jumped model, where I had an output level of -2dB before, I've had to dial it down to -18dB or so to get back to where I was.

Has anyone else had the issue, with this amp model or any other, maybe this was a change from 8 to 9, or 9 to 10, rather than to Ares specifically? Don't necessarily have a problem doing it, other than several hundred to change, more curious as to why a model's output would change that significantly...

Most of my patches do have an FX Loop prior to the amp, could that be the culprit?

My system settings appear to be identical before and after the update.

Your suggestions please! Thanks
Check that you didn't turn off Power Amp Modeling in the Global menu.

All global settings as they should be, and as they were before the update.

It's no biggy, just more curious than anything else, i don't recall any other amp "reset" from a fw update having a massive volume leap. Tonal improvements, yes, as you would expect, but not this. It's not even a gain structure change in the amp model - correct me if I'm wrong but is the output level in the amp block just a short cut to what is essentially the patch level. Unlike MV which is obviously part of the amp itself.

The FX loop being before in the path has made me wonder whether Ares has changed something about that, such as a -10dBv to +4dBU model or something. The output 2 leds report the same value so it's not the send level going hot into the loop - but it could be the return?

Release notes don't mention that anything like this has happened, but then again the wholesale switch from Quantum to Ares for amps has presumably re-architected how circuits are modelled in DSP. But surely many people would have noticed?

Attached a quantum 8.02 backup file of a patch in case someone wants to try importing into an Ares 1.03 Axe FX II XL. Import, do a soft reset, and turn "cut" back on - see if the amp model has lept up in volume. You might need to turn the loop off since you will likely not have the same rig as me, but it should serve the needs of the experiment...

Attachments

• A022_Any Colour You Like.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Update: Missed the wood through the trees, totally missed that my patches all have a pretty low MV and the soft reset cranked it back.
Thanks for the replies, but this one definitely user error...

Back
Top Bottom