Fishman Triple Play + AxeFX II

Gasp100

Power User
I'm about to return my Fishman Triple Play but before I do I figured I would ask a question. After the past couple of gigs I've decided to go back to the rack. And of course, II is tops for rack based stuff! I have my Midimate already, a 2 space rack (probably need more spaces eventually) and the band has been discussing starting to play with tracks. At the same time I have been testing the Fishman Triple Play which I really dig, but having to lug a laptop and worse, having the app itself crash on me numerous times in rehearsal makes me gun-shy.
I KNOW the II actually has some serious synth like capability and I'm considering buckling down (if I grab a II) and really learning the ins and outs of getting cool synth tones (strings, pads, etc...) if it's possible.
BUT - the FTP (when working) is pretty amazing in that it's wireless MIDI control and I can trigger any softsynth I own (A LOT!).
So if I bought a II and brough a laptop and the II has USB audio/MIDI capability built in do you think it's possible I could have LIVE guitar generated directly from the II AND use the FTP to trigger softsynths and have the II play them?
If I could consolidate and just bring II + small laptop (no separate audio interface) to a gig and STILL have all of the II tones PLUS have it be able to play back MIDI controlled softsynths that would be amazing.
Any ideas?

Yes, you can set FTP to use the Axe-fx USB audio as ts output. The Axe-fx will pass the audio out of output 1. You will also get the guitar processed signal coming out of output 1.

Don't return that FTP!! Buy that AFXII! You will be able to easily incorporate as Sean said, and you will be truly amazed by what you can accomplish....Dont use the standalone app, tho, use it as a plugin in your DAW and you will be much happier.

I just bought the disaster area designs ghost converter to use with the fishman triple play to see if it helps with some if the stuck notes I get. I also would not use the triple play app if it crashes. I'm just running the midi out if the ghost converter into a separate midi interface. I'll let you know how this works when I've spent more time with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I see SO MUCH potential with the FTP but for some reason it's slightly flakey (moreso on my PC laptop than my MAC). Right now I'm sitting in front of the MAC and with the FTP software it's very simple to load (host) both Scuffham SGear (guitar audio based) and a great softsynth. I can also change those patches right on the FTP device which is kind of neat. BUT, the patch changing is pretty slow depending on how much I have in a patch.
The neat thing is I was playing JUST Sgear and I was able to patch change up and down using only the FTP buttons... but, it started flaking out a bit and sending me back to patch 000 lol...
I have wireless guitar now (L6 GR50) and If I believe in it I have wireless MIDI as well. So conceivably the rig could be:
Amazing guitar tones via wirelss (II plus L6 GR50 - I wish I believed SGear was IT and that I could trust a computer for all of my guitar needs but I can't)
FTP on the same guitar routing into the II and carrying the synth tones when needed. That could be huge...
I guess you guys are saying I need to use a different / better VSTi host vs. trying to get FTP software to work reliably?
I use Reaper as my DAW, I'm wondering if I could actually just configure that somehow?
I'm going to hold on to the FTP, it has promise and I really just need to take the time to get is working the way I need, reliably live. But knowing that the II plugged to a small laptop could do it all is wild.

I just bought the disaster area designs ghost converter to use with the fishman triple play to see if it helps with some if the stuck notes I get. I also would not use the triple play app if it crashes. I'm just running the midi out if the ghost converter into a separate midi interface. I'll let you know how this works when I've spent more time with it.

I had problems with stuck notes as well when using a small usb3 hub.
If I use two different usb ports on my laptop, one for the AXE and one for the FTP, the problem seems to disappear.
Remember to shut down axe edit as well.
Im running OSX 10.9.4 on a late 2013 macbook pro.

Last edited:
Just to add I've been using mainstage as my performance app. Works great,no issue with my actual midi controller keyboard.

The Synth block in the Axe-Fx is a very simple monophonic synth. It doesn't compare to the polyphonic capabilities of something like the FTP and it can't control outboard MIDI synths.

Keep your Fishman Triple Play I LOVE my XL But it does not do what you can do with a triple play. 2 different animals, but work wonderful together. If you are having that many crashes you need to find out why. I don't have any crashes. My DAW is dedicated to music and music only, nothing un necessary installed.

I really just need time to get my head around the whole rig and build it correctly. I'm all in now... just purchased another II :)
My band (and acoustic shows) have picked up a lot of steam over the last few months but it's clear after video taping every show that I'm not filling enough sonic territory. I have extensive experience with the II (LOL) and that incorporated with the FTP, all wireless because the FTP sends the MIDI and the Line 6 GR50 sends the audio to the II, then the output 1 of the two able to handle both the softsynths and amazing guitar tones into my FRFR (and FOH) will be killer.
I still REALLY LIKE the Rocktron MidiMate. Now I can get the 7 pin cable and have one cable from the back of my rack to the floor. I'll be able to build patches that incorporate II and FTP tones which should be SICK.
I use my MAC extensively in my home studio, the reason I'm planning on using a Windows 8.1 laptop for live work is that it's small/very light, powerful and has SSD hard drive. I will work out the crashes / bugs with the software - I have many options including Cantabile or other VST / VSTi hosts on the PC. I have Mainstage and other options on the MAC as well.

Back
Top Bottom