Fishman Powerbridge / Powerchip question

JJunkie

Power User
I had them installed in my old epiphone LP standard with a single TRS output jack. My question is - is it normal for this setup that when the battery drains, I can't play through the mag pickups anymore?

I'm just hoping that there is some wiring issue that can be fixed, or do I need to go with 2 separate mono output jacks.

Probably you use the mixer output, that one goes through the preamp from the Piezo pu.

If you have passive mag pick-ups you should be able to use these anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the mag pickups go to the powerchip, and the mixer output goes to the jack.

Its just really annoying. The battery is always draining regardless of whether the guitar is in use or not. Sometimes I don't play it for a month, then pick it up and it lasts 20 minutes. Can't even play through the mag pickups.

The install was done by a luthier, and appears to be all correct (according to the Powerchip manual http://www.fishman.com/files/powerchip_user_guide.pdf)

The only part I'm not sure about is that the wires connected to the piezo ground and common ground are both soldered together. The manual says this regarding the grounds:
A common system ground is located on the opposite side
of the board, on a second pad marked “G,” adjacent to the piezo ground. Since
there is room for only one wire on this pad, we suggest that you tie all grounds to
the body of the magnetic volume pot, and run a jumper wire to the ground pad
on the circuit board.

However, The wires are definitely not tied to the volume pot and there is no jumper.

I am really looking for advice, e.g. "make sure this wire goes there" or "nope, if you want mags to work without battery, they need their own output jack.

Sounds like its wired wrong with a continuous current drain regardless of whether the guitars output jack is plugged in or not (usually this is the power kill switch that lifts the battery negative from ground)

hmm...

if it uses a combined jack only, then yes, a dead battery will "kill" the electric pickups since all the signal is running through the preamp. on my Ernie Ball guitars, there are 2 output jacks and one is an "electric only" that works without the battery.

but the guitar shouldn't be draining at all times, only when a cable is plugged in. at least that's how almost every other system i've used works (and i've tried a ton of piezo systems). i haven't used this one though.

i'm not sure about the specific wiring required for fully passive electric pickups, but i bet they'd need they're own output jack just to get the preamp tap isolated. i'd solve the battery drain issue first. i usually get 3 -5 months out of the battery on my JPs.

I have a JP guitar as well, that I use frequently. Funny that you mention you get 3-5 months out of your battery, I would be lucky to get 2 weeks before it drains and I rarely use piezo. Mono cable into the mag / stereo jack.

I have Ashton NiMH rechargeables. Could that be the problem, i.e. are they just shit, and I'm mistaking that for battery draining when not in use?

What batteries are the best for this - non-rechargeables?

Last edited:
Mono cable into the mag / stereo jack.

using that should put no drain on the battery.

i just use plain ol' 9v alkaline, non-rechargeable. lowe's had some for cheap. but i usually do duracell or energizer. all my AAs are rechargeable though ;)

Unless this is somehow different from what's installed in Parker's it's pulling juice anytime a cable is plugged regardless if you are using mags or piezo so always unplug when finished playing...

Save yourself the trouble and avoid rechargeables, what a pain in the #%!*^. Use alkaline and avoid crappy generics unless you want them to leak. I flip batteries for all my active electronic guitars about every 3 months as I like to catch it before tone starts going to crap.

Now I burn through a lot of 9Vs between guitars, wireless, IEMs, kids toys, etc. so very cost effective for me buying in bulk. I have been very happy with medicbatteries.com for my last couple orders. Duracell CopperTop/ProCell are the same, Energizer/Industrial are also same so just pick whatever is currently cheapest of your favorite brand.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom