Fishman Fluence Classic open core first impessions

warlockII

Fractal Fanatic
I wired up a fishman fluence open core classic bridge pickup( need some connectors before I can install the neck pickup). I'm a little surprised at how little difference there is between voice one and two. It sounds to me like the difference is just like adding a little boost as opposed to being a different pickup. Swapping from a PAF or PAF Pro to a Super Distortion (all dimarzio) doesn't feel like just adding a boost. In the pickup situation it feels different, reacts differently and sounds significantly different.

I'm digging the single coil voice. Note I'm a life long humbucker guy so don't ask me how it stacks up to a strat.

I'm a little disappointed with the hft...the cable length simulation in my g90 wireless makes a MUCH greater difference. I'm going to recheck my solder connection in the morning.

A few videos here on the forum like @2112 pushed me off the fence and get a set. I'm intrigued to see if those of you with a set feel the same way about voice 1 and 2 or if there might be an issue with my pickups as they are used.

It’s possible, if you are also approaching them as if they are EMG quick connects, i am told they arent the same....there are preamps and what not involved. So there has to be some kind of special wire, if you got them used, the wire may be wrong or maybe damaged?

they should sound vastly different, not slightly....can you check with a. Shop where you are?

Thanks for the quick feedback! The wires are the original fluence ones. Unfortunately there aren't any local shops or people with them where I live. I followed the wiring diagram from the manual posted on fishmans website.

I wired up a fishman fluence open core classic bridge pickup( need some connectors before I can install the neck pickup). I'm a little surprised at how little difference there is between voice one and two. It sounds to me like the difference is just like adding a little boost as opposed to being a different pickup. Swapping from a PAF or PAF Pro to a Super Distortion (all dimarzio) doesn't feel like just adding a boost. In the pickup situation it feels different, reacts differently and sounds significantly different.

I'm digging the single coil voice. Note I'm a life long humbucker guy so don't ask me how it stacks up to a strat.

I'm a little disappointed with the hft...the cable length simulation in my g90 wireless makes a MUCH greater difference. I'm going to recheck my solder connection in the morning.

A few videos here on the forum like @2112 pushed me off the fence and get a set. I'm intrigued to see if those of you with a set feel the same way about voice 1 and 2 or if there might be an issue with my pickups as they are used.
I have the same experience as you. The difference between the two voices is more like a coil-tap with a smidge of EQ rather than a completely different pickup sound. The HFT is also really subtle.

I've tried the Classic (open and standard), Modern, and a Merrow set and the internal differences are all similar in that there isn't a huge change (excepting the HB->single coil sound of course).

I do very much like the sound of the Classic pickups, especially the vintage voice, and the single coil sounds great as well. My favorite feature is how the volume knob reacts without significantly changing the tonal character.

HFT is useless IMHO

Id go with the V1 Gain and split coil if applicable [DPDT switch ]??
I have my Classics on an HH guitar with a 3-way switch and single volume control. The volume is a push/pull to engage the single coil and inside the cavity is a set of 4 DIP switches wired to change the V1/V2 and HFT for each pickup. Not quite as good as on-the-fly controls but it allows me to experiment with the sounds without rewiring or drilling holes and adding extra stuff. I had considered replacing the 3-way switch with one of the 3x3 Free-Way switches but I found the voicing differences to be minor enough that setting up the DIP switches with V1 and HFT=off for both pickups is, for now at least, my preferred combo.

ok very cool. Yes, I also did something like that instead of a DPDT...
I have a master volume, a push pull tone (x2) for each Pickup, a mini switch to turn gain on or off(v1 or v2), and of course a 3 way switch
Fluence makes the amount of tones almost too much to choose from in one guitar, its incredible

I have the same experience as you. The difference between the two voices is more like a coil-tap with a smidge of EQ rather than a completely different pickup sound. The HFT is also really subtle.

I've tried the Classic (open and standard), Modern, and a Merrow set and the internal differences are all similar in that there isn't a huge change (excepting the HB->single coil sound of course).

I do very much like the sound of the Classic pickups, especially the vintage voice, and the single coil sounds great as well. My favorite feature is how the volume knob reacts without significantly changing the tonal character.
Thanks, I very much agree with what you wrote. I have the Merrow and the modern set and that's exactly what I thought... Wondering what's the point, if there's going to be another voice it might as well be different instead of pretty much the same, or something that could be achieved with a boost + EQ. I wonder if it's because it's not possible for Fluence to do that, i.e., it's a limitation of the tech. Is there anyone what has a set where the 2 voices are remarkably different from each others?

Also the "third" voice (in the Merrow set at least) is actually a split, i.e., instead of being silent it's as noisy as a regular single pickup... That was disappointing.

I have the Abasi set in an 8 string guitar and the difference between the voicings is enormous. I have another guitar with the moderns and there's not much change... so it really depends on the model.

I have a set of Fishman Classics that came factory installed on a Charvel Satchel.

I am not impressed.

The Satchel has a pull toggle to flip between voices. I agree there is not a big difference in the voices.

Prefer a Dimarzio Super D, Super 2, X2N, Evo2, Evolution or Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion over Fishmans.

The Fismans are not great IMO, though I could use them if necessary. I like articulate pickups that have their EQ focused in the treble and high mids. The Fishmans in my opinion are not articulate and too warm for my taste. I hear a sizzle on note decay with the Fishmans that I don’t care for. The sizzle is not present on any of my other pickups. YMMV.

Last edited:
I have the Abasi set in an 8 string guitar and the difference between the voicings is enormous. I have another guitar with the moderns and there's not much change... so it really depends on the model.
Tempted to give the Abasis a go, I use the voice 1 modern quite a bit, but don't have much use for voice 2 since (as you said) it's very similar, mostly feels like a gain drop which I can achieve using a pedal-assigned gain change. Is the voice 1 on the Abasi model similar to the voice 1 on the modern? I'm thinking that might work better for me, I can then use voice 2 Abasi for something different.

Tempted to give the Abasis a go, I use the voice 1 modern quite a bit, but don't have much use for voice 2 since (as you said) it's very similar, mostly feels like a gain drop which I can achieve using a pedal-assigned gain change. Is the voice 1 on the Abasi model similar to the voice 1 on the modern? I'm thinking that might work better for me, I can then use voice 2 Abasi for something different.
It's similar but not the same. I would say the Abasi set is less compressed / more dynamic, a bit more emphasis on low mids, and lower output. I definitely prefer them over the Modern set, they just have more clarity.

It's similar but not the same. I would say the Abasi set is less compressed / more dynamic, a bit more emphasis on low mids, and lower output. I definitely prefer them over the Modern set, they just have more clarity.
That description sounds like I'd like them. Have you ever played the classic so you'd be able to compare them?

I have a set of Fishman Classics that came factory installed on a Charvel Satchel.

I am not impressed.

The Satchel has a pull toggle to flip between voices. I agree there is not a big difference in the voices.

Prefer a Dimarzio Super D, Super 2, X2N, Evo2, Evolution or Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion over Fishmans.

The Fismans are not great IMO, though I could use them if necessary. I like articulate pickups that have their EQ focused in the treble and high mids. The Fishmans in my opinion are not articulate and too warm for my taste. I hear a sizzle on note decay with the Fishmans that I don’t care for. The sizzle is not present on any of my other pickups. YMMV.
My experience was similar. I bought an ESP that had them, and returned it in less than a week. I've been spoiled by Tom Anderson's and Bare Knuckle pickups, so the Fishmans were pretty mediocre compared to those. In the higher gain mode they sounded muddy and inarticulate, and most of the pickups I use have more gain along with a much more articulate clarity.

While I was disappointed, I was actually kind of glad that it made me send back the guitar. I have a bad habit of buying gear I don't necessarily need. I'm sure nobody else around here does that, right!

Back
Top Bottom