First year new iPhone is meh......

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I have an Iphone X. This is first year where I don't care what they are introducing. I don't need something faster, bigger screen, or thinner. I hear IOS 12 is going to be just a tweak to IOS 11. Man I'm bored with the look of IOS. The phone menu and text menu work fine, just boring to stare at. IOS is where I wish they would really spend some time.

I still have the 6 and look forward to upgrading to the X when it comes down in price.

I have an 8 plus & really like it. I chose it over the X which I could have gotten at the same time for the same price. Don't really care what comes out this year....

I'm more interested to see what the new iPad pro brings? and hopefully fracpad for the III to run on it :)

Phone technology has matured to a point where a single year/generation is not enough of a leap forward to justify yearly upgrades - especially at the prices these devices go for.

It reminds me of what happened in the PC market 15-20 years ago.

I’m looking to upgrade from a 6 plus this year. I should definitely see an improvement in performance. And I plan to have the device for at least 3, if not four years again. This handset is falling apart month by month.

Phone technology has matured to a point where a single year/generation is not enough of a leap forward to justify yearly upgrades - especially at the prices these devices go for.

It reminds me of what happened in the PC market 15-20 years ago.

I’m looking to upgrade from a 6 plus this year. I should definitely see an improvement in performance. And I plan to have the device for at least 3, if not four years again. This handset is falling apart month by month.
I do not see how you get 3 years with these batteries? After 1 year they don't hold charge very well IMO

I had the same battery for 3.5 years (battery cell life was down to 71%) - I got it replaced a few months back due to performance of the handset! So slow! I had dropped the phone and smashed the screen for the second time, so I took the opportunity to swap out the battery.

But the chassis has now reached the end of its life, the charger port is flaky, and the headphone port is on its last legs.

I’m thinking about replacing my plus with the 6.5 inch model when it launches.

I think the battery in the larger models is better (bigger), so it holds more charge. Even though it also has a larger screen to power.

Also hoping that the newer chips inside are a lot more battery friendly too.

I went with the 8 instead of the X , due to the smaller size. It’s a touch narrower than a pixel or Samsung. Feels right.
The battery life seems to be the deciding factor on upgrading , for me these days. As stated above , we’ve reached a point where there’s not much for “leaps and bounds” when it comes to new phones.

I upgraded from 7 to X and it felt like a pretty big leap. Face ID and edge to edge glass definitely make a huge difference that I didn't quite understand until I start to try and use my 6s that I still have for work.

That said, if the next phone is incremental like history suggests (5/5s 6/6s etc etc) then I won't care about it at all. If they come out with an X that's got the case size of a regular 6/7/8 then I might have to go for it. I like the size of the X, but it's still big enough to get too bulky with a substantial case.

Definitely agree though, it's super easy now to go for years without upgrading your phone.

I cracked my screen a few weeks ago hiking (oops!) and am eligible for an upgrade from my 7 anyway... I'd probably go w/ the 8 but waiting for the next announcement in a couple of weeks to see if there's anything compelling. The X could be good, but I kinda like having the home button, and the phone is a bit too large. And as was said, unless it's leaps and bounds better, I don't know that I care about having the latest and greatest. Better screen resolution? That's great but I probably can't even see the difference, and I don't watch movies on it. A better camera could be worthy, certainly better battery life is always welcome. Other than that it's really at the point of diminishing returns. An 8 will probably be more than enough for me.

I went with a 8+ because I liked the dual camera feature (portrait mode works amazing well, and this is coming from someone who spent 15 years earning a living as a photographer) but didn't like the X screen dimensions. I don't really get the size of the X because content just doesn't fill the screen as its too tall/thin. I like some aspects of the X like the type of display, improved tele lens camera etc.

I think an X plus would be a home run for me. Basically all the good stuff of the X, but with the more usable size of the 8+. I will admit I don't find it perfect in my pocket, but when it comes to actual use, that big screen is so much easier to watch stuff, edit photos on etc

I can't stand the size of the + series. Can't easily hold it in one hand and type. The X is right on the limit for me and I still have to keep the keyboard in one hand mode so my thumb can reach the left of the keyboard. Dual camera is definitely a huge upgrade that I would sorely miss now if I lost it.

As far as content not filling the screen I just don't really find that to be true. Occasionally with a video or app maybe but for 90% of my use its full on edge to edge. Ymmv.

I upgraded from 7 to X and it felt like a pretty big leap. Face ID and edge to edge glass definitely make a huge difference that I didn't quite understand until I start to try and use my 6s that I still have for work.

That said, if the next phone is incremental like history suggests (5/5s 6/6s etc etc) then I won't care about it at all. If they come out with an X that's got the case size of a regular 6/7/8 then I might have to go for it. I like the size of the X, but it's still big enough to get too bulky with a substantial case.

Definitely agree though, it's super easy now to go for years without upgrading your phone.

You brought up the case. Good point. Something that’s overlooked with all of these phones. The NEED for a case. Pardon my language , but - WTF ? You pick out a phone , that’s the right size and the right color , then spend another $40 to buy a case , to cover the color , AND make the phone bigger than you wanted. So there’s just too much money being made to eliminate the need for this accessory ? BS.

Since I have a 2.5 yo iPhone SE, they all look pretty cool to me. But wife and daughter looking at new iPhones this fall, so think I’ll hang in there a bit longer with my SE. It’s functionally working fine and battery still very good.

Back
Top Bottom