First week with FM3 - What I hear on Youtube is just not true

Late to the thread here. I'm about to cancel my QC order and order an FM3. I have an Axe II that i love and I was going to buy a second just so I don't have to remove it from the band rack after each practice/gig. I tried a Helix floor and was just bummed out by it. I spent so much time eq'ing to get close to a tone I liked but there was always something in the low-mids that drove me nuts. Some amp models were good and the interface is awesome. I still can't quickly navigate my Axe Fx without the axe edit app.
I took an honest look at some of the smaller youtubers that didn't sound like Neural shills and I think I'm gonna give the FM3 another look. I was initially scared off because I thought it might lack a lot of dsp power but you guys seem to be into it so I will do some more research.
Dude, coming from the Axe-FXII, the latest Cygnus modeling on the FM3 or Axe-FX3 will blow your mind.

I saw a FM3 comparison (by Leo Gibson) to the Soldano SLO amp head. The FM3 was extremely close in tone and sounded great.

Fast forward, the same guy (Leo Gibson) compares 5 units to the Soldano head. What was the result? The FM3 sounded the furthest away from the Soldano than all of them.

So, his first video had the FM3 sounding near identical, and the 2nd video made it sound like balls compared to all of the other units, Line6, Kemper, Mooer, others. It was a joke.

First video title: FM3 sounds great...

SOLDANO SLO 100 vs FRACTAL FM3: is the real Soldano worth the extra money? by Leo Gibson​

2nd video title: FM3 sounds furthest away from the Soldano.

Kemper vs Fractal FM3 vs Helix vs Mooer GE 300 vs HeadRush: which is the best modeler of a SOLDANO?​

Leo Gibson​

I have no idea why the FM3 comes in last place in the 2nd video. !?!?!?

Late to the thread here. I'm about to cancel my QC order and order an FM3. I have an Axe II that i love and I was going to buy a second just so I don't have to remove it from the band rack after each practice/gig. I tried a Helix floor and was just bummed out by it. I spent so much time eq'ing to get close to a tone I liked but there was always something in the low-mids that drove me nuts. Some amp models were good and the interface is awesome. I still can't quickly navigate my Axe Fx without the axe edit app.
I took an honest look at some of the smaller youtubers that didn't sound like Neural shills and I think I'm gonna give the FM3 another look. I was initially scared off because I thought it might lack a lot of dsp power but you guys seem to be into it so I will do some more research.
Haha... I DID cancel my order and got the FM3. Best decision ever.

I saw a FM3 comparison (by Leo Gibson) to the Soldano SLO amp head. The FM3 was extremely close in tone and sounded great.

Fast forward, the same guy (Leo Gibson) compares 5 units to the Soldano head. What was the result? The FM3 sounded the furthest away from the Soldano than all of them.

So, his first video had the FM3 sounding near identical, and the 2nd video made it sound like balls compared to all of the other units, Line6, Kemper, Mooer, others. It was a joke.

First video title: FM3 sounds great...

SOLDANO SLO 100 vs FRACTAL FM3: is the real Soldano worth the extra money? by Leo Gibson​

2nd video title: FM3 sounds furthest away from the Soldano.

Kemper vs Fractal FM3 vs Helix vs Mooer GE 300 vs HeadRush: which is the best modeler of a SOLDANO?​

Leo Gibson​

I have no idea why the FM3 comes in last place in the 2nd video. !?!?!?
Saw his videos too.
But compared to other videos I saw he first seems to be accurate and not biased but his conclusions or sounds are not and sometimes strange.
Or in other words no base to make a decision.

I agree with this post, and must say, Leon Todd’s videos helped me immensely to make my decision. I was looking at other units, incl. Boss, Headrush and Helix. Without ever having used any Fractal, I went with the FM3.
Bit worried about spending the money untested and unseen, but glad I did.
I don’t think at all the Fractal is difficult to use, go back 20 years and use those old Zoom, Boss and Digitech units and anyone will find the Fractal stuff rather simple. With FM-Edit is is just super easy. Just by watching Leon’s videos, I knew enough to get right into it and to dial in proper tones.
It sounds pretty good to me. I can’t compare directly to Helix’s amp modelling, but the FXs of the FM3 sound somehow more mature than those in my HX FX unit.
I still like to use the HX with my tube amp in 4CM+midi, but I just didn’t have the time to setup my FM3 that way. And why would I? The FM3 feels like a real amp and has way more options to offer. I might just use the HX as midi controller for the FM3 + adding some external effects to lower DSP use when necessary.

Maybe I sell most of my gear and buy an Axe-3…

I agree with this post, and must say, Leon Todd’s videos helped me immensely to make my decision. I was looking at other units, incl. Boss, Headrush and Helix. Without ever having used any Fractal, I went with the FM3.
I don’t think at all the Fractal is difficult to use, go back 20 years and use those old Zoom, Boss and Digitech units and anyone will find the Fractal stuff rather simple. With FM-Edit is is just super easy. Just by watching Leon’s videos, I knew enough to get right into it and to dial in proper tones.
It sounds pretty good to me. I can’t compare directly to Helix’s amp modelling, but the FXs of the FM3 sound somehow more mature than those in my HX FX unit.
I still like to use the HX with my tube amp in 4CM+midi, but I just didn’t have the time to setup my FM3 that way. And why would I? The FM3 feels like a real amp and has way more options to offer. I might just use the HX as midi controller for the FM3 + adding some external effects to lower DSP use when necessary.

I like his videos, too. But, I bought the FM3 mostly becaue of Leon Todd’s videos and the huge list of pro users. Leon seemed so enthusiastic about it. So, I cancelled my QC preorder and that was that. Lol

I got my QC at the same time as my FM3. For me, the QC is just too much of a lottery with all the searching for the right captures. Using a stomp helps with the effects and the amps do sound great but the UI actually is what makes it hard to use. It's just too much of a pain thinking models or captures and the different way you use those. I'll reconsider when we get a desktop editor. I came from a Helix (which I still have) and that's still a great unit but since the day I plugged in the FM3, I havent really used either the Helix or QC. In rehearsals, the FM3 has sounded great and the adjustability is amazing. Best bit of kit I've ever bought. As much as I'd love an FX3, the FM3 does everything I need and is so easy to transport.

20210617_142330.jpeg

I got my QC at the same time as my FM3. For me, the QC is just too much of a lottery with all the searching for the right captures. Using a stomp helps with the effects and the amps do sound great but the UI actually is what makes it hard to use. It's just too much of a pain thinking models or captures and the different way you use those. I'll reconsider when we get a desktop editor. I came from a Helix (which I still have) and that's still a great unit but since the day I plugged in the FM3, I havent really used either the Helix or QC. In rehearsals, the FM3 has sounded great and the adjustability is amazing. Best bit of kit I've ever bought. As much as I'd love an FX3, the FM3 does everything I need and is so easy to transport.

View attachment 84912
Do you use the HX FX with the FM3?

Do you use the HX FX with the FM3?
I have an HX FX and a Stomp. I use the stomp just because it's smaller although I have considered using the HX FX as a main controller as it has scribble strips. I find the Scenes page on the QC a bit harder to use accurately.

Hi all - I had them all incl Kemper, Helix, plugins and also the AX8. On Youtube I see a lot of "influencers" saying that Helix is on the same level in terms of tone quality. Also people comment that Fractal products are not easy to use. All this is not true at least from my perspective (I play blues, rock, jazz): the FM3 sounds in fact really so much better in terms of clarity, string separation, reverbs etc.. Also is feels more responsive than most other modelers. The editors makes it very easy to dial in what you want. I had the Kemper Head and Stage for many years. Although it sounds very good there was a always a level of unhappiness as you depend on the right profile and its quality. With the FM3 I can dial in the sound I have in my head (and much more) and pair this with absolutely stunning effects. Also the ability to record directly and re-amping works like a charme. Originally I wanted to buy also the Quad Cortex but I drop this for now. Could not be happier
I fully agree. I had the same experience when I got my FM3. The machine is as complex as you want it to be. You can dive in the minute details of what tube you want to use with a specific amp, or just use the authentic settings. The tone is wonderful and, strangely enough, most of the many presets (and scenes within those presets!) are very usable. I still use serveral of them without having modified them.

The new Cygnus presets are fantastic, the best set they've done. Some are awash in effects, which is not my thing, but it's a quick fix to hear the raw tone.
I have just had time to explore a few of the new presets but I am already very impressed. I am particularly fond of the Mark IV mid gain lead scene.

The capture feature is useful to anyone because you have access to the shared captures from other people. You can just fire up the NeuralDSP mobile app and download them to your Quad Cortex, like sharing a preset or IR. This lets you augment the capabilities of your devices if it doesn't have a model of something you love built in. Obviously captures will be more limited in how you can shape the sound compared to having a full model built into the device.
so what is main difference between presets and downloadable captures in QC? Preset is made on same QC and you can change every parameter as you have every block available as well, but downloaded capture is something you can not change at all or just change in terms of EQ? Does capture comes downloaded with its own impulse ( that can not be edited)?

I have Line 6 Pod Go and thinking about to upgrade to FM3 or QC. I like very much most of FM3 metal tones I hear on youtube, but want to find out more about profiling capability of QC, if it is smth I will miss one day in case of getting FM3…

so what is main difference between presets and downloadable captures in QC? Preset is made on same QC and you can change every parameter as you have every block available as well, but downloaded capture is something you can not change at all or just change in terms of EQ? Does capture comes downloaded with its own impulse ( that can not be edited)?

I have Line 6 Pod Go and thinking about to upgrade to FM3 or QC. I like very much most of FM3 metal tones I hear on youtube, but want to find out more about profiling capability of QC, if it is smth I will miss one day in case of getting FM3…
I'm not very well versed on capturing (see above), but I've been doing some looking into it. The way I see it (and someone please correct me), you are capturing the sound characteristics for a given pedal, amp, etc. You can't capture the internal workings, so say you capture a Tube Screamer, you can't go and make all the adjustments you could on an actual pedal. You can shape some stuff like EQ.

That's why I personally see it being most useful to someone who has the actual gear. You can capture your setup and travel compactly. Not as useful for a third party. I'd much rather have a great modeler and be able to make all of the adjustments.

Be very careful before committing to QC if that's the way you're leaning. I do believe they have the best capture ability on the market, but it appears the modeling is lacking. Just my 2 cents.

I'd much rather have a great modeler and be able to make all of the adjustments.

Be very careful before committing to QC if that's the way you're leaning. I do believe they have the best capture ability on the market, but it appears the modeling is lacking. Just my 2 cents.
At the moment I fully agree with you! FM3 seems to be great to build any sound you can imagine and I do not own any rig at home and not planning to due lack of place and neighborhood )

A preset is limited to what the unit can do, a capture can add things to the unit. For example if I make a preset on the FM3, I am limited by the drive pedal and amp models that Fractal offers (which to be fair is more than anyone would need). By comparison in its current form the stock lists of overdrives and amp models on the QC is quite limited, but that's where captures can come to the rescue by adding a more pedals and amps.

Captures can be made direct or with a miced cabinet baked in. In its current form the technology does not work well for fuzz pedals and cannot do time based effects at all but overdrive/boost/distortion/preamp pedals and amps can be done.

The options to change the sound of a capture are gain, volume, treble, middle and bass. The T/M/B controls don't match the captured gear and are a generic set instead, more like post-EQ. That's still enough to change the tone in a meaningful way if you want to do some small tweaks. Often multiple different captures of the same amp are provided, for example on the QC I made probably a dozen different captures of my Bogner.

Quad Cortex is basically something you buy with expectation that future improvement will fill in all the features it is currently missing. I sold mine because it wasn't quite there yet but I loved many aspects of it. Captures were great and the hardware form factor, UI, onboard control and switching are superior to the FM3 but the FM3 is by comparison a much more feature complete device.

What would the AX3 do for you that you find the FM3 is missing?

A preset is limited to what the unit can do, a capture can add things to the unit. For example if I make a preset on the FM3, I am limited by the drive pedal and amp models that Fractal offers (which to be fair is more than anyone would need). By comparison in its current form the stock lists of overdrives and amp models on the QC is quite limited, but that's where captures can come to the rescue by adding a more pedals and amps.

@laxu, I'm only replying to your post to try and keep some continuity w/i this thread since there are a few things being discussed (no issues with anything you've offered).

Here's an interesting review by Leon Todd. He seems to give a very fair review and confirms what you may have to dig for in other reviews (he is refreshingly more straight forward than most). Basically, if you want a modeler, the QC isn't there yet. If you want a great capture platform, then it's great. They got some other things right too (such as the UI, form factor, build quality). You can fast forward to about the 35 min mark if you want to get to the point.

I think I’m done with profiling. Across the board. I like being able to tailor my tone to my needs. Captures are all over the map in quality and consistency. Moving from one profile to another feels so disjointed…

However the QC modeling is quite good. So is the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom