First week with FM3 - What I hear on Youtube is just not true

I think I’m done with profiling. Across the board. I like being able to tailor my tone to my needs. Captures are all over the map in quality and consistency. Moving from one profile to another feels so disjointed…

However the QC modeling is quite good. So is the FM3.
Yeah, that's kind of what I suspect. It just seems to be better suited for someone who has the actual gear, that way you can make all the tweaks and also maintain some consistency. It's kind of hard to argue against modeling having greater flexibility and consistency.

I may catch some hate for this next comment (it's just my impression--could be wrong). I also suspect capturing is attractive to a "tone chaser". We all hear tones we'd like to emulate, but it just seems very doubtful that someone else's capture would 100% work with a different rig.

I wish profiling had existed in 1999, when I was in amp whore mode. Not all of that money would’ve been lost. Plus if you’re profiling all your own stuff, the inconsistency wouldn’t be as much of an issue

After owning the FM3 for 2 months now, I just love it. I take up less space than my Axe II did and sounds better and stays connected to Axe-edit. I actually made money selling my selling my AxeII w/ mfc101! Craziness. I've never had a profiler but this FM3 is so damn good I can't justify the price of a QC. I'm off to upgrade to Cygnus.

After owning the FM3 for 2 months now, I just love it. I take up less space than my Axe II did and sounds better and stays connected to Axe-edit. I actually made money selling my selling my AxeII w/ mfc101! Craziness. I've never had a profiler but this FM3 is so damn good I can't justify the price of a QC. I'm off to upgrade to Cygnus.
I made some money selling my Ax-II MkII and MFC to buy the FM3, which was a year ago. Sold the FM3 in literally a few hours on Reverb last week and my Ax3 is coming today! I'm glad I kept the FC-6! ; )

I'm a long time user of the Kemper (6 years), and still love it. However it does lock you into finding the correct profiles, and the Kemper has its own way of handling harmonics in overdrive that prevents getting some more distorted tones sounding just right IME. But still I love the thing.

I did get the chance to acquire a FM3, mainly due to the deep amp parameters and my background in tube amp design/repair for decades. I just couldn't resist parameters like Power Tube mismatch and B+ Time Constant any longer (very familiar with these in real tube amps). But like the Kemper, the FM3 appears to be at first blush the kind of modeler you can simply plug into and dial up a great tone quick. I had my first practice with it last night, and it went extremely well and sounded killer. The fight between it and the Kemper is definitely ongoing.

BTW I owned a HX Stomp and used Helix Native for a few years and abandoned both, as they had a thinness and harshness that was very difficult to dial out. The Kemper sounded great with no LPF in the PAs where the HX Stomp was unusable. So far the FM3 is also sounding great.

Got a big surprise today reading on this forum that the FM3 works as an audio interface with iOS. I did not expect this and am just thrilled that it does, as I do much of my recording on an iPad Pro. No more sorry in the box tones!!

I'm a long time user of the Kemper (6 years), and still love it. However it does lock you into finding the correct profiles, and the Kemper has its own way of handling harmonics in overdrive that prevents getting some more distorted tones sounding just right IME. But still I love the thing.

I did get the chance to acquire a FM3, mainly due to the deep amp parameters and my background in tube amp design/repair for decades. I just couldn't resist parameters like Power Tube mismatch and B+ Time Constant any longer (very familiar with these in real tube amps). But like the Kemper, the FM3 appears to be at first blush the kind of modeler you can simply plug into and dial up a great tone quick. I had my first practice with it last night, and it went extremely well and sounded killer. The fight between it and the Kemper is definitely ongoing.

BTW I owned a HX Stomp and used Helix Native for a few years and abandoned both, as they had a thinness and harshness that was very difficult to dial out. The Kemper sounded great with no LPF in the PAs where the HX Stomp was unusable. So far the FM3 is also sounding great.

Got a big surprise today reading on this forum that the FM3 works as an audio interface with iOS. I did not expect this and am just thrilled that it does, as I do much of my recording on an iPad Pro. No more sorry in the box tones!!
Congrats! I've never owned or played a Kemper, but I'm just guessing the FM3 will win in the end due to the flexibility and options available. Enjoy getting to know it. I suggest watching some Leon Todd and Cooper Carter vids.

As a former L6 user I second your opinion there.

Back
Top Bottom