First tube amp in 8 years - Engl Savage 120 w/ custom vert 2x12

crg123

Experienced
Just picked up an Engl savage 120 mark i for a steal of a price. I've had the axe ii since 2011 (when it was released) and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm not getting rid of the axe by any means but just wanted to try something different after all this time.

I've got it running with a custom vertical 2x12 cab I picked up for a great deal made by TRM out of new Hampshire. Its an interesting design with with the two speakers in two different chambers. The bottom chamber is a celestion v30 60 watt with an open back and the top chamber is a celestion G12k 100 watt with a closed back but with side ports (I haven't seen this on a modern 2x12 before). The whole cabinet is made of solid pine (not that heavy) and the speakers are connected to seperate jack's with the option (hole routed) to connect them in series like a standard 2x12.

The grill cloth that came on it is a wild looking but hideous chrome paisley installed by the previous owner, so I'm swapping it out with some marshall blues breaker style grill cloth. The casters have been swapped with ball bearing legs by the previous owners as well.

The amp itself is an absolute beast. Its always been one of my favorite metal amps in the axe and the actual amp sounds just as fantastic. The one thing that shocked me is how great it sounds at low master volumes. I read this has some thing to do with the power section being relatively neutral sounding and most of the amp tone coming from the preamp.

I'm going to start off running the amp with the 4 cable method with the axe and experiment using the amp head for the power amp section only so I can run the axe modeling through the cabinet.

Anyway very excited and figured I'd share.

Pictures of the amp head and the (soon to be replaced) hideous but wild looking cab grill cloth attached.

Attachments

• 20191014_145253.jpg
    20191014_145253.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 40
  • 20191014_213639.jpg
    20191014_213639.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
And after! So much better. First time doing grill cloth replacement. The wife helped a bunch to make it happen. I look it looks damn good. Went with the Marshall Bluesbreaker cloth.
75302630_2590723117662277_1826466105690947584_n.jpg

Damn I totally would have kept that grill, that looked awesome haha.

the savage was my first ‘high class’ tube amp and remains my favorite. Loved that head, traded it of course because I’m an idiot, but damn it was awesome

Damn I totally would have kept that grill, that looked awesome haha.

the savage was my first ‘high class’ tube amp and remains my favorite. Loved that head, traded it of course because I’m an idiot, but damn it was awesome
It looked way cooler in photos for some reason. In person it was super cheap and gaudy looking haha. It was like looking a shiny glittery print and the fabric was sagging.

Back
Top Bottom