First-Time User Crash Course Experience

TheloniusJ

Experienced
Just wanted to share my experience of going from receiving my FM3 to playing a live rehearsal with it in about 4 hours (a bunch of which I was still working and I had to run one errand on the way to rehearsal, so wasn't focused on the FM3). Overall the experience was awesome, but stressful. If anyone reads this, I have a few snags I ran into which I could use some help on.

I got my FM3 at about 2pm yesterday. I have rehearsal with the funk/jazz quartet I play with at 6pm and was originally planning on doing one last rehearsal with my Elevenrack rig, especially since I was still working (or maybe I should say "working"). However, after firing it up and doing the requisite 30ish minutes poking around with the presets (which I was truly blown away by), I decided to give it a shot and play live with it. Most of what we were going to be working on that night I figured I could get through with the ODS-100 preset patch (we were actually going to be working on a Ford/Colaiuta/Haslip song called "Man In The Ring" which is classic Ford tone).

While on the waitlist, I had gone through the user manual, though not really studied it. I had also watched a handful of YouTube videos and perused the posts on this forum which proved to be helpful.

The first snag I ran into was that I couldn't get FM3 Edit to work (see below), so I had to do all my tweaks using the unit, which I knew I could do. After a bit of referencing the manual and messing a couple of things up, I managed to copy the ODS patch to a blank patch and start tweaking it. For some reason, I couldn't turn the bypass off for the wah block so actually shunted that block and turned the compressor block into a wah block (since I thought I'd be OK with out the compressor).

I mounted up one of my Boss EV-5s and Mosky switch to an old pedalboard I have and decided I'd just sit the FM3 on the board while playing since I didn't have time to properly mount it. I managed to set the EV-5 up as a modifier for the wah, and even figured out how to set it up as auto-engage (which is freaking awesome). I also set the Mosky up as a stand-in switch with one button as tap tempo and the other as tuner (I'll probably tweak that later). I set my Whammy pedal and a passive volume pedal up before the FM3, and deemed I could survive rehearsal with it. Ultimately, I'd like to off-load my Whammy stuff to the FM3, but didn't have time.

Anyway, after some tweaking after getting to rehearsal, we went at it and the FM3 was REALLY incredible. Since I trying to just stick with the four scenes in the ODS patch, I couldn't do everything I wanted, but it was super do-able. I was incredibly impressed with how useable and GREAT SOUNDING the FM3 was.
IMG_1295.JPG
My Temp Rig (we go direct using in-ears)

Here are a couple of impressions/observations from this crash course experience:
  • The FM3 is pretty much close to gig-ready right out of the box. I am confident if I had a solid day of working with it, I could have had a number of gig-ready presets going.
  • It sounds PHENOMENAL. The hype is real. I was blown away by how good that ODS-100 sounded with pretty much no extra tweaking on my part.
  • Realism, I couldn't get over while playing how responsive the model was to my volume knob. I found myself staying on the 3rd scene and then using my knob to get the amount of gain I needed. I kicked into scene two when I needed a bit of kick. The break-up was incredibly good sounding.
  • The auto-engage wah was SO nice to have. I've used a Bad Horsie in the past, but wasn't in love with the sound. I SO dig being able to set this function up with an expression pedal. I ended up using the medium lag setting and it worked way better than I expected.
  • The three-switches are really, really, REALLY clever. I didn't believe it, but I'm fairly certain you can do pretty much everything you'd need live with these. I loved having the dedicated tap-tempo, but outside of that the three switches were easy to navigate with. The MLM construct is incredibly clever.
  • I used the "Effects" view more than I expected. Part of this was that I didn't have time to set up all the scenes I wanted, so navigated over to effects to kick in chorus and rotary, or to shut off delay every once in a while.
  • I can't wait to dig into the rest of it. My brief taster of the presets really got me excited. We do some spacey acid-jazz stuff so I can't wait to build some presets out for that. I also play lead guitar in an 80s metal band, so can't wait to dive into the high-gain stuff. I will be using the presets from @2112 as my starting place. They sound SO juicy.
  • Most of the interface on the FM3 is quite good, but I will admit, some didn't seem intuitive to me. I don't think I could have done what I did if I hadn't have been "pre-studying". This forum is incredibly useful for that.
Issues/Questions/Help Needed
  • I couldn't get FM3 Edit to work. It kept giving me an error about "reading block definitions". It would load the current patch, but just stop working. I searched the forum, but only found something on the Axe-Edit that didn't seem to be applicable. Any suggestions? This is my top issue right now.
  • Levels. It seemed like my output levels were really low. I used the same inputs (XLR) that I use with my Elevenrack (which I normally set volume to 6.5). I had to basically turn the FM3 level up all the way to get close. I ended up changing the output levels to +4db which seemed to put me in a more reasonable range, but I was surprised. Any thoughts on this?
  • On the ODS-100 patch, I couldn't turn the bypass off on the wah. I could for the other blocks, but not this one. I messed around, but couldn't figure it out. Anyone understand this?
  • Whammy replacement. So poking around it seems like I can do everything I do with my Whammy using the FM3, but am concerned about CPU. Anyone else doing this? Currently I have one song where I use the ^4th^5th harmony setting for one song and also fake a baritone for a Mark Lettieri tune using the 4th down statically. I also use the detune feature for some Scofield-esque stuff, which I'm less worried about.
  • Mounting the FM3. I know this has been discussed, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to put velcro on this thing. Would love suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help. And HUGE thanks to Fractal for building such a phenomenal piece of gear. I'm a convert.

UPDATE ON FM3 EDIT

It turns out I just needed to be patient. I didn't notice it was still loading a bunch of stuff in, so I just had to wait for that to finish. User error.

Yeah, first time it reads Block definitions, etc, should sync up faster after that.

What controller do you have the WAH set to ?

Yeah, first time it reads Block definitions, etc, should sync up faster after that.

What controller do you have the WAH set to ?

Yep. Working fine now. Thanks.

I have it set to External 1. As I said, it is working fine with a new wah block. I just tried it again with the default preset (38 I think) and it is connected to the external controller, but still not coming out of bypass.

You look like you will set-up your board similar to my plans. FM3, (1) expression pedal, & (1) Mosky dual switch. I'll also have my wireless & hopefully the transmitter for my in-ears. That would give me one board to rule them all. Amp or amp-less I would take the same board. If the in-ears transmitter makes my board too big I can always keep it in my amp rack. Glad you're digging the FM3. 🤘

You look like you will set-up your board similar to my plans. FM3, (1) expression pedal, & (1) Mosky dual switch. I'll also have my wireless & hopefully the transmitter for my in-ears. That would give me one board to rule them all. Amp or amp-less I would take the same board. If the in-ears transmitter makes my board too big I can always keep it in my amp rack. Glad you're digging the FM3. 🤘

Yeah. It is unbelievably capable. I really am surprised at how much you can to with just the three onboard buttons. It would be awesome if I had just one more expression pedal (I've got the room and it would avoid me having to have the external volume pedal), but I'd rather have the stand in switches. Not 100% necessary, to be honest, but I like having it.

Anyway, I'm really digging it. Also, I got all of my Whammy functions programmed in this morning, so I can completely eliminate the Whammy. Surprisingly isn't eating up much CPU, so I'm stoked.

Back
Top Bottom