First Time Updating MFC-101 FW Results in Error 17

Lykwid

Hey everyone - A few years back, I had bought the MFC-101(mk3) to basically convince myself that I was committed to getting the Axe FX, and this year during the Black Friday sale, I finally splurged and picked up the 3.

So obviously my goal is to get the MFC-101 working as a generic MIDI controller for the AxeFX 3, and the first thing I figured I'd do is make sure the MFC's firmware was up to date. I had purchased a USB to MIDI(in and out) cable [Since I'm new and can't link - search "Asmusae USB to MIDI" and you should find the one I grabbed] and followed the instructions provided to the best of my knowledge and haven't had any success.

So here's where I'm at:
  • I have Fractal-Bot v2.11.1
  • I've connected the USB to my PC, and the Out MIDI from that cable, to the MIDI IN on the MFC
  • I've downloaded the 3.08 (and 3.09 for kicks) Firmware
  • In Fractal-Bot, I'm choosing: MFC-101 MK3 & USB_MIDIOut as the Output Port
  • Selected the 3.08\3.09 Firmware under Set (although I don't get the authentic verification checkmark)
  • Started the MFC-101 in "FW Update Mode" and have the FC powered by the adapter
  • Also ensured that the MFC was using the MIDI Port
  • I hit "Begin" and confirm the instructions as mentioned above
  • The MFC-101 immediately displays Error 17, while the Fractal-Bot continues as if everything is good

Thing's I've Tried:

• Completely Removing\Re-Installing Fractal-Bot
  • Re-Downloading the 3.08\3.09 Firmwares
  • Attempted to use the AxeFX 3 as the MIDI device (I know it's not supposed to work, but I tried anyway)
  • Made sure the cable wasn't labeled backwards and Tried the In vs. Out combinations
  • Made sure MIDI was plugged in AFTER the MFC was powered on
  • Restored MFC back to Factory Settings
  • Digging through Forums\Videos for 2 days
  • Downloaded MIDI-OX and gave that a shot - not sure if I was doing that right either though since the interface is not quite as intuitive

So at this point, I'm either assuming that I bought a shitty cable, or that I need to find another MIDI Interface for my PC to push the Firmware (I've read other's have had success via this method - but I'd perfer not to buy a new device just to push Firmware for an FC that I'll likely replace when my FC12 invite kicks in).

I'm hoping that someone can either confirm my suspicions, or maybe suggest something stupid that I've missed or haven't tried. Either way, any and all ideas would be more than appreciated.

Some more potentially helpful details about my setup:
Windows 10 \ 32 GB DDR4 \ 2 x GTX 1080 SLI \ i7 6900K CPU
Also purchased MFC-Edit if that tool is helpful in anyway

Thanks again & excited to really get my feet wet with this exciting as f*** rig!
-Brad

Back
Top Bottom