First Time Performing - Just Me and Backing Tracks - Need Rig Advice to Accompany My Axe-Fx III

Warrior

Power User
Preparing for some open mic night and small gigs where I would be playing along with backing tracks. Not sure what the easiest and most reliable way to set up would be.

Two scenarios:
1) Using house PA.
2) Using single FRFR (very small rooms)

Never done this before so not sure if I need to bring an interface with me and connect through my laptop or should/can I use my Axe-FX III as the interface and connect via USB, etc?

Is using an iPhone or iPad an option?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I’m using a Cortex MP3 player to mixer with the Axe also to mixer. Vcl mics as well.

If stage conditions allow ...I monitor from the FOH alone ...otherwise I use a self powered monitor.

I sometimes use my iPhone to play the tracks if it’s just a 1 or 2 song situation. The iPhone also is a backup source for my tracks.

I’m now incorporating an iPad as my main backing player.

Utilizing certain Apps such as ShowOne and Multitracks allows midi program changes to the Axe upon calling up a track and other editing features to the tracks. Tracks volume can be edited and stored as well as click intro features, single play or tracks play continuous.

Each track must be setup individually in these apps and is a daunting task if you have hundreds of songs.

I have over 700 songs!

Are you connecting to the mixer with the iPad via the headphone jack?

Are you connecting the Axe-FX via XLR?

Are you connecting to the mixer with the iPad via the headphone jack?

Are you connecting the Axe-FX via XLR?

Yes...the iPad headphone out jack to the mixer. I use the mini headphone jack split to RCA female with two 1/4 adapters plugs to 2 channels of the mixer board.

Yes....I connect the Axe-Fx via XLR to a channel of the mixer.

Also....you can use wireless midi with the iPad and your Axe-Fx to do program changes as you load each song!

The ShowOne and the Multitracks App work well with these.

Here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDBT01--yamaha-md-bt01-bluetooth-wireless-midi-interface

or

Amazon product ASIN B01D61QK6W
or

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wireless-MIDI-Music-digital-cable-Bluetooth_60603389367.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32855022656.html

So I am thinking about picking up a cheap Behringer mixer and using it to connect my Axe-FX III and either my laptop audio jack out, my iPad or iPhone and then going from this mixer to the mixer of whatever venue I'm at.

For really small places that I would like to just go and jam for fun, this would give me the ability to control my mix and then send that to the venue mixer. Then if I chose to, I could run the backing track via MP3 or even play the Reaper session from my laptop and automate the guitar track volume, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

So I am thinking about picking up a cheap Behringer mixer and using it to connect my Axe-FX III and either my laptop audio jack out, my iPad or iPhone and then going from this mixer to the mixer of whatever venue I'm at.

For really small places that I would like to just go and jam for fun, this would give me the ability to control my mix and then send that to the venue mixer. Then if I chose to, I could run the backing track via MP3 or even play the Reaper session from my laptop and automate the guitar track volume, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

That’s fine.

I think though that you need to be ready to compensate for inadequate monitoring or lack of monitors.

Me and a buddy got buy with my one qsc k12 and a small Behring mixer for 2 vocals and one acoustic. Worked great and was plenty loud.

Preparing for some open mic night and small gigs where I would be playing along with backing tracks. Not sure what the easiest and most reliable way to set up would be.

Two scenarios:
1) Using house PA.
2) Using single FRFR (very small rooms)

Never done this before so not sure if I need to bring an interface with me and connect through my laptop or should/can I use my Axe-FX III as the interface and connect via USB, etc?

Is using an iPhone or iPad an option?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
what are the tracks playing out of?

That’s fine.

I think though that you need to be ready to compensate for inadequate monitoring or lack of monitors.
I was planning to use my Atomic CLR to monitor my Axe-FX III but maybe a better plan would be to use it as a monitor for the backing track and my Axe-FX.

Me and a buddy got buy with my one qsc k12 and a small Behring mixer for 2 vocals and one acoustic. Worked great and was plenty loud.

Cool, thanks.

what are the tracks playing out of?
Either an iPad, iPhone or Macbook Pro.

Back
Top Bottom