First Time Fractal Customer

The literature accompanying the FM3 is a game-changer. Between the manuals and the Wikis and Yek's guides there's an unreal amount of truly helpful information.
Seconding this - the level of documentation that goes along with the Fractal platform for me has been such a key element. And the @yek amp guide in particular is perhaps my favorite guitar-equipment-related publications I've ever seen. Even if you don't even have a Fractal product, the collection of details and stories about all of the amps is a treasure trove and I often just read through it out of curiosity of learning about the stories of all the different amps.

Welcome Joel!
Always great to welcome another to the Fractal fold.
Pauly

I've used Line6 products for over a dozen years. My rig is a pair of Marshall JCM900s into a pair of Marshall 1936 2x12 cabs. Before switching to the FM3 I used the PODHD Desktop into the effects return of the Marshalls using a 20ms delay between the two for stereo effect. I play in a Sabbath tribute band and the tone I had was actually pretty decent. For years I wanted a Fractal product and when the FM3 came out at the price point I wanted plus the format I liked, I jumped on it. When I first hooked it up, I was disappointed. I tried a bunch of different settings to get it to work with my rig and it wasn't sounding right; thin and fizzy. I couldn't believe this since I know that Fractal is the best, so it must be something I'm doing wrong. Fortunately, I have a friend who has owned Fractal products for years and he came over and helped me get it going. I've had a chance to read, learn, and work with the product and can now dial in tones fairly quickly.

Bottom line:
Fractal is head and shoulders better than everything else. Not only in tone and note distinction, but also feel. I like how I can dial in the tone exactly the way I want then dial in the feel I'm looking using compression, drive, saturation, etc. without effecting the tone. This is extremely important, at least to me. If it sounds great but I have to work my butt off to do pull offs or hammer ons then I don't like it. Conversely, if I can't control the sustain or feedback to get the sound I want, it's worthless too. Fractal nails all these things so well it's scary. I'm getting spoiled really quick.

Here's a clip of me using my Fractal FM3 at the annual Nicko McBrain Rock and Roll Ribs event in Ft Lauderdale Florida. I'm using it through the effects return of a PRS 20 watt tube amp but it doesn't seem to mind what it's plugged into. It always sounds nice. I will never use anything but Fractal from here on out. It sounds and feels so nice and very convenient to bring. I had to fly to this gig and I just packed it in my carry-on bag next to my clothes.

It was super nice of Nicko McBrain to let everyone play his drum set that he just finished using on the Iron Maiden tour. He's one of nicest people you could ever meet.

Fractal kills Line 6, it is like comparing an upright Baldwin piano to a Steinway or Yamaha grand piano. Not to be mean or offend Line 6 fans, but the Helix sounds like garbage to me. You might can get a decent tone out of it if you use some external IR, apply EQ and tinker with the amp parameters for about 2 hours. I think I am kinda biased because I grew up playing during a time where you were made fun of for using Line 6 gear.
You're wrong about that. I still firmly consider the Fractal devices to be the best of the modellers, but the Helix isn't far off. You don't have to use external IR's, the later cab models are actually really good. I'm sure some of the Fractal demos I've seen were using external IR's.

That's just a ridiculous thing to say - you have to use an IR, EQ and tinker for 2 hours to get a decent tone. I've been pretty vocal about wanting to get a fractal whilst I'm still using a Helix so I'm not anti fractal at all, quite the opposite, but that was just a silly comment.

You're wrong about that. I still firmly consider the Fractal devices to be the best of the modellers, but the Helix isn't far off. You don't have to use external IR's, the later cab models are actually really good. I'm sure some of the Fractal demos I've seen were using external IR's.

That's just a ridiculous thing to say - you have to use an IR, EQ and tinker for 2 hours to get a decent tone. I've been pretty vocal about wanting to get a fractal whilst I'm still using a Helix so I'm not anti fractal at all, quite the opposite, but that was just a silly comment.
You realize you're replying to a post someone made 10 months ago. And yes, as a former Line6 customer for years, I agree Line6 can and does sound very good. But the Fractal, once I spent some time with it, is considerably better. Not only with amp tone and feel, but the effects are a significantly better too. Fractal's reverb is extremely good. I didn't realize how much of a difference a really good reverb makes until I got the Fractal. I don't know if you've had a chance to spend time using a Fractal, but once you do, it would be nice to hear your thoughts too.

Here's a clip of me using my Fractal FM3 at the annual Nicko McBrain Rock and Roll Ribs event in Ft Lauderdale Florida. I'm using it through the effects return of a PRS 20 watt tube amp but it doesn't seem to mind what it's plugged into. It always sounds nice. I will never use anything but Fractal from here on out. It sounds and feels so nice and very convenient to bring. I had to fly to this gig and I just packed it in my carry-on bag next to my clothes.

It was super nice of Nicko McBrain to let everyone play his drum set that he just finished using on the Iron Maiden tour. He's one of nicest people you could ever meet.

Joel - was the amp a HDRX 20?

I'm sorry, it was the PRS MT15 not the HDRX 20. It was a monster of an amp. Definitely the loudest 15-watt amp I've ever heard. I think it comes with 6L6 power tubes and can be easily modded for more power, although this one wasn't.

You realize you're replying to a post someone made 10 months ago. And yes, as a former Line6 customer for years, I agree Line6 can and does sound very good. But the Fractal, once I spent some time with it, is considerably better. Not only with amp tone and feel, but the effects are a significantly better too. Fractal's reverb is extremely good. I didn't realize how much of a difference a really good reverb makes until I got the Fractal. I don't know if you've had a chance to spend time using a Fractal, but once you do, it would be nice to hear your thoughts too.
I've been looking at getting an FM3 then FM9 for quite some time, and no doubt will make the leap, finances have ruled it out for now and I don't want to sell the Helix to buy the fractal and be without anything while waiting so I have to free some cash up elsewhere first. I have spent enough time looking at fractal to be convinced it's the best of all the modellers for sound quality, Helix is still the best for functionality, but ultimately like most of the guys here, I think sound quality is what matters the most.

The Fractal effects are always highly regarded in comparison videos but for me, I always go back to the basic marshall tone as a reference point, and whilst I do get some pretty good marshall tones on my Helix, I just feel like the fractal versions are a little bit more fire breathing if you know what I mean, and I think it's those subtle differences that sum up the actual comparisons between the various modellers now.

When you know there's something just a little bit better out there, it's hard not to look!

Helix is the best for functionality ? I'm confident you won't think that after you make the switch. The functionality of the FM3 is almost overwhelming. But that's when I'd like to hear your thoughts after you've spent time with it. And it will take time. Not because it's hard to work with, but because there's so much TO work with.

Helix is the best for functionality ? I'm confident you won't think that after you make the switch. The functionality of the FM3 is almost overwhelming. But that's when I'd like to hear your thoughts after you've spent time with it. And it will take time. Not because it's hard to work with, but because there's so much TO work with.
Oh definitely agree with the depth of the FM3, it's well known for the depth of parameters and options, I would be like a pig in sh*t playing with that! Helix is still the best unit for outright functionality though in regards to the fact that you have 8 or 10 foot switches there in front of you and a pedal built in, no other unit has all of that on board. FM9 is close, had they added the pedal and brought the cost down a bit, I think (personally) that would make the Helix redundant, but as it stands, Helix does still offer that over the competition.

I know FM3 has a lot of options in that you can assign multiple functions to the switches, but that requires a bit of tap dancing which doesn't look appealing coming from a Helix as you can appreciate. Adding an FC-6 is the answer but again it's more money. I think most FM3 users probably just accept all of that in turn for the sound quality, which is my viewpoint also, and why ultimately, I can see me ending up a fractal user. Plus the Helix forum sucks balls apart from one or two individuals.

Ideally I would love to try it side by side with my Helix because then you get a true comparison using your own gear and not from a youtube clip.

Oh definitely agree with the depth of the FM3, it's well known for the depth of parameters and options, I would be like a pig in sh*t playing with that! Helix is still the best unit for outright functionality though in regards to the fact that you have 8 or 10 foot switches there in front of you and a pedal built in, no other unit has all of that on board. FM9 is close, had they added the pedal and brought the cost down a bit, I think (personally) that would make the Helix redundant, but as it stands, Helix does still offer that over the competition.

I know FM3 has a lot of options in that you can assign multiple functions to the switches, but that requires a bit of tap dancing which doesn't look appealing coming from a Helix as you can appreciate. Adding an FC-6 is the answer but again it's more money. I think most FM3 users probably just accept all of that in turn for the sound quality, which is my viewpoint also, and why ultimately, I can see me ending up a fractal user. Plus the Helix forum sucks balls apart from one or two individuals.

Ideally I would love to try it side by side with my Helix because then you get a true comparison using your own gear and not from a youtube clip.

In terms of foot switches, it makes a lot more sense to compare the FM3 to the HX Stomp. The HX Stomp foot switching is very limited whereas the FM3 has the same capabilities as the AxeFX III.

The FM9 and the Helix are pretty comparable in terms of physical foot switches . The Helix does have the built in expression pedal - that’s a win for some and not for others. In terms of actual foot switch functionality - the Helix is considerably more limited.

Hmmm...do we start a new thread if we're a new user? There do seem to be many of them.

But I will 'conserve CPU power' ;) and post a short addition to this thread, reserving the privilege of posting a longer one later. Most of this is familiar, unoriginal stuff but I just spent 3 solid hours on this new-to-me FM3 so some thoughts are fresh in my mind:

The sound is what we're concerned with first and foremost, no? I will save the Tube Amp Odyssey for the other posting but suffice it to say I have been using Orange, Fender, Vox, Bad Cat, 65Amps, Allen. No slouches in the lot, really. Nothing I regret using or buying. But the cumulative expenditure probably could have paid for some or all of a nice vehicle. I don't claim to have 'golden ears' but I certainly have refined them via various brands and models.

My 'experimentation session' was run through Yamaha studio monitors including a sub. The ultimate FRFR you might say. For comparison/contrast I also hooked up a Mackie mini-wedge that I use for monitoring at acoustic gigs and occasionally at electric ones.

The FM3 sounded fantastic, convincing, lifelike, through both.

Burnt-fingers experience with modelers #1: one of my fears was that the FM3 (or a preset) that sounds good, musical, etc. at guitar volume and tone at 10 would tend to thin out, disappear, weaken with either control rolled off. Conversely, a preset that sounds good at 5 on each would simply get louder at 10 ie it would not respond the way an actual amp would. This has been my experience with numerous other modelers, plugins etc.

I'm happy to report that the problem did not arise. In fact, the FM3 responded to guitar volume/tone the way an amp would. I won't drown you in adjectives about dynamics, touch response etc. but you probably get the idea.

Burnt-fingers experience with modelers #2: an amp model MIGHT sound just-OK - the tendency is/was immediately to start piling effects on it. Comp, boost, EQ etc. Think of a cheap sandwich with toppings and condiments added to make it seem more palatable. But the base tone quickly disappears under that mess.

(In candor, I must say that (too) many of the YouTube demos, instructionals etc. involve high-gain presets larded up with effects. Many of us roots-oriented players are interested in Fractal but struggle to find demos that feature some unadorned amp tones so those videos aren't always helpful. In addition, YouTube has been infamous for reducing audio quality to conserve bandwidth so 'good demo' or 'bad demo' is a relative term if the sound isn't up to par.)

You get the oooh-aaah layman's reaction of hearing delays, reverbs, distortion or whatever but it doesn't really hold up when actually playing a full song with or without a band.

Burnt-fingers experience with modelers #3: I was there at the start. Or close to it. In 1998 I was choosing between a Fender Prosonic and a...Johnson Millennium 150. The salesman was the usual unethical type. He wanted to unload the digital stuff and promised me it would make my bed and cook my breakfast. I even bought the bloody J12 foot controller the size of a diving board with that damned proprietary cable.

J-Edit (application) was rudimentary stuff and a lottery to connect due to the unreliable interfaces of the time. The front panel wasn't too bad with soft buttons and intuitive routing. And yes, it was loud. And heavy with that transformer.

The Johnson sounded like...a digital amp with digital effects piled on top. You could almost hear the gaps between the 1s and 0s.

I failed to learn from that experience and even had a dalliance with a Johnson J-Station. When you consider that the J-Station and the FM3 have similar footprints and both have sloping fronts, you may understand my flashbacks to a more unmusical, technically frustrating time.

Burnt-fingers experience with modelers #4: Pod X3 Live. Believe it or not, there used to be a tribal hostility between Johnson owners and Line6 owners. Us Johnson muso types viewed the 'Line Sux' people as geeks, hobbyists, Saturday morning shredders. But when the Pod X3 Live came out I thought 'Well, it's all contained in pedal form and the third generation technology MUST be improved by now, right? Maybe this is my key to easy gigging.

So I put some decent patches together (I thought) and kept the effects to a minimum. Took it to a rehearsal with the full band - drums, bass, second guitar, vocals etc. And it...vanished. Not the X3 Live. It was still there physically. But the sound vanished no matter how high its level in the PA. Phase/frequency cancellation? Other issue? Whatever it was, after 2 songs the band rebelled angrily and said get the tube amp back out. So I did.

That was at least 8 years ago and I've been 'tubing' ever since, to say nothing of buying a parade of boutique pedals that would make your eyes water.

Which brings us, finally, to the FM3. If you read all the above then you can understand my hesitation, skepticism, even fear. I was prepared to dislike it, to doubt it, to imagine I heard scads of digital artifacts, lack of dynamics, lack of punch etc.

Fortunately, that did not happen. I was gratified to hear the hype at long last match the output, the functionality, the engineering, the flexibility.

It was kid in a candy store time as I cooked up about half a dozen presets. I would leave them and return to them expecting to be disappointed after the new-toy feeling wore off but I was not.

As I write this I am awaiting shipment of a powered cabinet but with a rehearsal coming up Tuesday it may be time for The Great Unveiling, to say nothing of The Great Gig Test beyond that.

Edit: each time I sit down with the FM3 now I keep expecting it to sound fake and lifeless. Fortunately not the case but that's PTSD for you....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom