first time buying a hollowbody guitar "jazz box" any suggestions ... ???

arcangel

Inspired
hey whats up guys, i wanted to throw this question out there and see whats ur guys opinion on this subject since i really don't have any experience with hollow body guitars ...
since i recently joined a jazz big band im trying to decide on what "jazz box" to get, my budget is kinda limited, but its about $1,500.00 my first choice would be like an ibanez pat metheny model but its like double my budget soooo, another guitar i have seen was the epiphone joe pass and maybe pimp it out ... so far i havent decided yet, but i am looking to get bigger hollow body than like per sei, 335 i really thins hollow bodies i just like the tone of bigger boxes than the slim ones so anybody have any opinions that would be awesome thanks ....

I'd think you might have a shot at a used Ibanez Pat Metheny for that budget? I also thought that the cheaper versions of the model were within that budget?
Check some of the Eastman and Peerless guitars they might be an option too, and a very good value for the money.

Jens

Les Paul invented the Les Paul to avoid the feedback issues hollow bodies experience. For live use I'd go as thin and as solid as the gig will allow, otherwise you will be stuffing the sound holes with foam or cloth, effectively changing the tone to kill the howl.

I have a pm120 that is really great and a used one might work for you. Also have a used guild x500, beefy big body sound and it's so thick it makes peeking at fingers and frets tough.

I really think the Ibanez is a good low end approach like the AF or similar. Those are no where near the sound or quality of th PM.

There are allot of players using 335s with the tone rolled off.

PM120 or 35 used, I'm a fan though. Great playing and sound.

Get a used one.

Les Paul invented the Les Paul to avoid the feedback issues hollow bodies experience. For live use I'd go as thin and as solid as the gig will allow, otherwise you will be stuffing the sound holes with foam or cloth, effectively changing the tone to kill the howl.
Having a lot of experience with playing old and big hollow-body guitars, I have almost never had issues with feedback also not when playing with a big band or in other loud circumstances.
Stage light and old p90 pickups is another story though....

Jens

yer not going to have feedback in a jazz band! There are bajillions of guys playing big boxes around the world without feedback. Just don't try doing Mettalica with it on stage. I had an old ES175 (with p-90) and even played it in a rock band at CBGB's. Wsh I'd kept that sucker - it sang!

At that price, I would check out Eastman, maybe an 810, they are made in China, but are quite well constructed, hand made, good workmanship and materials. Also worth looking at are the Korean made D'Angelico's. They are not quite as much a hand crafted instrument, but they are nice, and very pretty. J Hale carries both.

Look at old guide X-75 thru X-500. Great old box and prices can be good.

For a new guitar the Godin Kingpin Jazz Is made in USA and Canada from local sustainable woods and is an outstanding guitar. Choice of touring jazz pros who don't want their best guitars on the road. Saw Tony Bennett on Tv a few times last year his guitar player was playing a Kingpin.

There are a few Kingpin models based on pickups, these are really, really great guitars.

Look at old guide X-75 thru X-500. Great old box and prices can be good.

For a new guitar the Godin Kingpin Jazz Is made in USA and Canada from local sustainable woods and is an outstanding guitar. Choice of touring jazz pros who don't want their best guitars on the road. Saw Tony Bennett on Tv a few times last year his guitar player was playing a Kingpin.

There are a few Kingpin models based on pickups, these are really, really great guitars.
Didn't know about the Kingpin, or the sustainable initiative, I only knew that every Godin guitar I've played has been stellar. THANKS!

+1 for ES175. Great guitars. With some luck you should be able to get a used one in that price range.

hey whats up guys, i wanted to throw this question out there and see whats ur guys opinion on this subject since i really don't have any experience with hollow body guitars ...
since i recently joined a jazz big band im trying to decide on what "jazz box" to get, my budget is kinda limited, but its about $1,500.00 my first choice would be like an ibanez pat metheny model but its like double my budget soooo, another guitar i have seen was the epiphone joe pass and maybe pimp it out ... so far i havent decided yet, but i am looking to get bigger hollow body than like per sei, 335 i really thins hollow bodies i just like the tone of bigger boxes than the slim ones so anybody have any opinions that would be awesome thanks ....

IMO, probably the best budget archtop out there right now is the Epiphone ES175 copy.
It won't sound or play as well as a real 175 but it's a *lot* less expensive.
Its pickups are OK, but you might want to replace at least the neck pickup with 57 Classic.

The single pickup Epi Zephyr Regent is also a good bet but may be a bit more prone to feedback.

Except for the number of pickups the Epi 175 and Zephyr Regent are almost the same guitar but I believe the latter has a mahogany neck, even though the online info that Epi put out for many years said it was maple.
Most real 175's have mahogany necks and I think it's an important component of their tone.

The new-ish Ibanez archtop boxes seem to be pretty cool too but I don't have any experience with them personally.

If the band is a trying to peg an idiomatically correct traditional jazz big band sound (ala Basie) then yes a hollow-body archtop guitar is probably the way to go.
Traditionally it would be a bit bigger body than that of the 175's (17" or 18" lower bout, compared to the 175's 16") and you'll probably want to be using relatively heavy roundwound strings (at least .012"-.052") to get the most acoustic volume out of it as well as the most acoustic-sounding tonality from the amplified tone.
I believe that Freddie Green's Super 400 was always mic'd.

But if the band has more of a modern thing going on (e.g. The Boss Brass or later styles) there's no shame in using a solid-body.
Check out Ed Bickert's Tele tone on those Boss Brass records.

But Ed never broke into 4-to-the-bar Freddie Green Style chording.

I play a custom made Tele-style guitar made specifically for jazz in the big band that I play in regularly.
John Macleod's Rex Hotel Orchestra

When and if I do need to approximate a FG thing I sometimes use an old Samick HJ-650, the one with the 17" body.
Not made anymore. They sell for pretty cheap on eBay.
It's only a laminate body but comes pretty close to pegging the Gibson L-5 vibe.

Good luck.

BTW
I owned a single pickup Ibanez PM-100 for a couple of years.
It's the approx 3" wide model with the double cutaway.
I had to sell it because, although it sounded *exactly* like Pat Metheny's guitar which is what I was after at the time, it fed back at volumes that were way too low for any gig I would ever be doing with it.
If it were set up with relatively heavy roundwound strings it probably would have done a good FG style thing, but it would still have a feedback problem.
The thinner PM models don't have the feedback problem, but they won't have the true archtop vibe either for FG-style chording.

wow... thanks to all u guys for ur input, having no experience in hollow body guitars, all ur input is very apreciated ... and im defenitely checking all of u guys sugestions, thanks ... and if anybody knows of forums or websites that sell cool used stuff besides ebay let me know, and thanks again ....

funny_polymath said:
Didn't know about the Kingpin, or the sustainable initiative, I only knew that every Godin guitar I've played has been stellar. THANKS!

I talked to Godin years ago and they said they allocate 45 minutes for setup of each guitar (which is 45 minutes more than Gibson). They play really well out of the box.

I don't know-Larry Carlton has been known to play a little jazz on a 335. Lee Ritenaur (spelling stinks) also swings a mean es335.I've seen both of them live more than once-jazz-just a tad.Why buy a one trick pony. 335 's are killers. my second choice would be the es175.

I would also check out Heritage guitars. I have a Heritage 555 and it is absolutely killer. One of my favorite guitars. If you like old Gibsons, then you'll like Heritage. Certainly not a big name brand, but when I was looking for a hollowbody, I tried a bazillion guitars. The 555 was the keeper. It covers a wide variety of tones, has impeccable workmanship, and great playability. I know all of that is subjective. I rarely see players chat about Heritage. My 555 came with Seth Lover pu's. The combination of mt FX-II and the 555 puts me over the rainbow. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom