First time buyeršŸ¤Æ

Itā€™s a stand-alone guitar preamp! Of course itā€™s future proof! It will always work and it will always sound good.

Axe 2 user Since 2012 and still get compliments for my tone

Hi everyone. Looking for reassuring stories before I take the plunge, and whilst there seems to be nothing but positive feedback and lots of very helpful people on here I suppose I just want to delve a little deeper.
My background with a modelling type set up is basically this will be my first experience, and I want it to be a positive one.

I'm aware that there is a learning curve with these units so that's not a problem. I suppose my main question for this thread is. Is the Axe Fx iii future proof. I'm kinda feeling a bit apprehensive about spending ā‚¬2500 on something that will no doubt be improved upon. Just got me thinking that I suppose a unit like this is as good or as valuable as you want it to be, I'm sure not everyone on here felt the need to upgrade from ii to iii or whatever and find older models perfectly suit their needs.

I'm not sure what my question is here guys but I think what I'm asking is. How relivent will and axe fx iii be in let's say 3 years. Weird question I know. But something I wanted to throw out there.

Adam.
The amps and guitars I have that I bought decades ago are still gig-worthy. If it sounds good today, it will sound good for as long as it lasts.

In the scheme of things, the Axe Fx III isnā€™t a large investment, as I have single amps that cost more than the Axe Fx does. I do realize, however, that it can be a big investment relative to the person buying it. As far as value for the price, itā€™s unquestionably one of the best deals you will ever find.

There is no such thing as future-proof, as in ā€œnothing will ever come out that will exceed itā€™s maximum capabilities.ā€ But the quality of the sound will always be the quality of the sound, so it will always sound great and be useful for making music... it is future proof in that sense. I have a Fender Super Reverb amp that was made in 1964... and Fender has yet to send me a single upgrade for it. Yet, it still sounds incredible and is as useful today as it was nearly 60 years ago. Iā€™d call that ā€œmusically future proof!ā€

With an instrument as powerful as the Axe Fx III, you have to wade in like youā€™re touring the Louvre... and take in the art a piece at a time. Glossing over it to cover it all in a day will leave you intimidated and exhausted. Take your time, and enjoy the experience. Go to what you know and like first, and enjoy that. Then wander down hallways you have never tried... and be pleasantly surprised. Youā€™ll find your way.

I, like others, eventually found that my favorite amp models are of amps Iā€™ve never played. The AC20 Deluxe, the Tucana 3, Keith Urbanā€˜s old Twin... great sounds. Every guitarist ought to own an Axe Fx at least once. Although it may sound backwards, Iā€™ve actually bought the actual amplifier after falling in love with the model of it in the Axe Fx. And I can attest to the accuracy of the settings modeled.

Get one.

Last edited:
In the scheme of things, the Axe Fx III isnā€™t a large investment, as I have single amps that cost more than the Axe Fx does. I do realize, however, that it can be a big investment relative to the person buying it. As far as value for the price, itā€™s unquestionably one of the best deals you will ever find.

There is no such thing as future-proof, as in ā€œnothing will ever come out that will exceed itā€™s maximum capabilities.ā€ But the quality of the sound will always be the quality of the sound, so it will always sound great and be useful for making music... it is future proof in that sense. I have a Fender Super Reverb amp that was made in 1964... and Fender has yet to send me a single upgrade for it. Yet, it still sounds incredible and is as useful today as it was nearly 60 years ago. Iā€™d call that ā€œmusically future proof!ā€

With an instrument as powerful as the Axe Fx III, you have to wade in like youā€™re touring the Louvre... and take in the art a piece at a time. Glossing over it to cover it all in a day will leave you intimidated and exhausted. Take your time, and enjoy the experience. Go to what you know and like first, and enjoy that. Then wander down hallways you have never tried... and be pleasantly surprised. Youā€™ll find your way.

I, like others, eventually found that my favorite amp models are of amps Iā€™ve never played. The AC20 Deluxe, the Tucana 3, Keith Urbanā€˜s old Twin... great sounds. Every guitarist ought to own an Axe Fx at least once. Although it may sound backwards, Iā€™ve actually bought the actual amplifier after falling in love with the model of it in the Axe Fx. And I can attest to the accuracy of the settings modeled.

Get one.
Thanks Mate. Everything you said is spot on. I'm officially the owner of and axe iii. I'm loving it. I'm taking my time. It's an amazing piece of equipment.

Thanks Mate. Everything you said is spot on. I'm officially the owner of and axe iii. I'm loving it. I'm taking my time. It's an amazing piece of equipment.
Awesome! Iā€™m genuinely glad for you. I had many mind-blown, jaw drop moments in my first Axe Fx days. It still wows me, and Iā€™m ten years in! Congrats šŸ˜Š

Congrats and welcome to the club. Let the fun begin. I was very apprehensive as well but as soon as I did my first recording, dialing in a tone that was better than what I could achieve with my tube amps previously (due to a crappy room and much too much time spent placing mics to no avail), I was hooked. Sold almost all of my old gear soon after and no regrets yet. That was almost two years ago...

Congrats and welcome to the club. Let the fun begin. I was very apprehensive as well but as soon as I did my first recording, dialing in a tone that was better than what I could achieve with my tube amps previously (due to a crappy room and much too much time spent placing mics to no avail), I was hooked. Sold almost all of my old gear soon after and no regrets yet. That was almost two years ago...
This is good to hear, and this forum is brilliant for us new folk. Mine arrives this week. A friend told me I was an idiot for buying such an expensive piece of gear to use at home, so today I tried and tested everything I own to see if that would satisfy my hunger: Katana 50, garbage. Waza Air headphones, better. Mesa Mark V25, epic, filthy, but too much when thereā€™s a sleeping dog next door. So Iā€™m still happy with my decision.......

This is good to hear, and this forum is brilliant for us new folk. Mine arrives this week. A friend told me I was an idiot for buying such an expensive piece of gear to use at home, so today I tried and tested everything I own to see if that would satisfy my hunger: Katana 50, garbage. Waza Air headphones, better. Mesa Mark V25, epic, filthy, but too much when thereā€™s a sleeping dog next door. So Iā€™m still happy with my decision......
You are so right about that: with this forum (and the wiki, Cooper's masterclass, the extensive manuals, videos, etc) there are so many resources for us to learn from. I found 99% of my questions were already answered. Experiment, search, experiment some more and you will crush the learning curve. You also hit on another huge benefit - playing at low volume when needed. 3 AM, can't sleep and want to play? Before I had to settle for my unplugged electric. Now I can plug in, sound great, and still not piss off the neighbors.

This is good to hear, and this forum is brilliant for us new folk. Mine arrives this week. A friend told me I was an idiot for buying such an expensive piece of gear to use at home, so today I tried and tested everything I own to see if that would satisfy my hunger: Katana 50, garbage. Waza Air headphones, better. Mesa Mark V25, epic, filthy, but too much when thereā€™s a sleeping dog next door. So Iā€™m still happy with my decision.......
I just sold my mark v 25 to fund my axe3.
Great amp in fairness.

I just sold my mark v 25 to fund my axe3.
Great amp in fairness.
Haha no way man, how you finding the new toy? Iā€™m not expecting it to be like an amp, Iā€™ll never sell the Mesa. The Waza air headphones I mostly use are basically giving me a model and IR sim into my ears, so Iā€™m hoping the Axe wonā€™t feel too foreign......

Haha no way man, how you finding the new toy? Iā€™m not expecting it to be like an amp, Iā€™ll never sell the Mesa. The Waza air headphones I mostly use are basically giving me a model and IR sim into my ears, so Iā€™m hoping the Axe wonā€™t feel too foreign......
I'd be lying if I where to say it's been playing sailing, but I expected this as its my first modeller. But I'm getting there! The amount of options and possibilities I personally find overwhelming but I've a few sounds I like and have a few go too's.
I'm gonna experiment with some of the sounds I like and how to expand with some scenes from the original sound.

The mesa is a great amp, but since I'm a home recording guy these days I seen not much point holding on to it.

I question whether your "friend" really has your best interests at heart. ;)

Back
Top Bottom