First Song with AFX -- Iffy on the Rhythm Tones...

ikayasha

Hey guys! I got my Axe FX II a couple of months ago and I'm absolutely in love with it. Easily the best guitar product I've purchased.

So a few weeks ago I finished my first song using solely Axe FX tones. I'm fairly happy with the result (especially the clean tones), but I'm not so sure how I feel about the heavier rhythm tones. I wanted to get some thoughts and see what others recommend for getting beefier rhythm tones on AFX. Any tips that have been really good for you guys as you craft your distorted rhythms?

Link:

Cheers! :)

A lot of the tone comes from the cab. I really love using the Cali 4x12 with an engl or marshall amp in the chain. But the only way you'll find something you'll really like is trial and error with finding tones. Get axe-edit too. It's a lot simpler than dialing it in on the interface. Great first clip man!

Sounds great! Love those clean tones especially!

What amp model(s) are you using for the rhythm tones? I'm guessing the recto? They do sound a little flubby but not bad by any stretch. I'm pretty new to this, but that's been my experience with the recto models so far, I've been able tighten them up a bit with the 808 in front and then some creative cab tweaking. I've had better luck getting tight rhythms with the USA Lead (Mesa Mark IV).

Hopefully someone with more experience comes in to help, because I'm having the hardest time getting good heavy rhythm tones compared to all the other tones I need.

Thanks for the great feedback, guys!

A lot of the tone comes from the cab. I really love using the Cali 4x12 with an engl or marshall amp in the chain. But the only way you'll find something you'll really like is trial and error with finding tones. Get axe-edit too. It's a lot simpler than dialing it in on the interface. Great first clip man!

Yeah I like that Cali tone. It's very fun and smooth. Yeah, in the end, it's always about experimentation. I just need to sit down and sift through tones and find more that I love!

Sounds great! Love those clean tones especially!

What amp model(s) are you using for the rhythm tones? I'm guessing the recto? They do sound a little flubby but not bad by any stretch. I'm pretty new to this, but that's been my experience with the recto models so far, I've been able tighten them up a bit with the 808 in front and then some creative cab tweaking. I've had better luck getting tight rhythms with the USA Lead (Mesa Mark IV).

Hopefully someone with more experience comes in to help, because I'm having the hardest time getting good heavy rhythm tones compared to all the other tones I need.

Thanks, man! Yeah, one of the rhythms was running a recto haha. I'm glad they don't sound too bad in your mind. I'm not totally unhappy with them, but they seem to be missing some "oomph" for lack of a better term haha.

Beautiful cleans!!!
Thanks man! Probably the thing that has impressed me most about the Axe FX is simply the amazing reverbs and delays that give your cleans amazing voice.

Back
Top Bottom