First rehearsal with the FM9

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
Figured I’d share a happy FM9 experience!

After the Floyd tribute band thing failed miserably, I found a cover band nearby to hop into. They do a bunch of funk/R&B/rock and it certainly gives me the chance to break out of the semi-prog-metal thing I do at home on my own. I spent the last couple weeks learning the songs and dialing in my FM9 for them. I’m in an apartment and can’t really crank up without pissing people off, so I brought my laptop with me in case I had to tweak anything due to the volume difference. The only thing I tweaked was the delay mix on one scene! It sounded GREAT! I’m using a PRS SE Semi-Hollow and the versatility of that guitar with the FM9 is ridiculous!!

Using a lot of clean-ish tones, there’s some RHCP, Marvin Gaye, EW&F, Chris Stapleton, Kings of Leon, etc. The three amps being used the most were Plexi’s, DC-30 and for the really clean stuff, the Toucana. I haven’t played guitar in a band in 15 years, outside of a 2-month fill-in period a while back, so I definitely had a bit of nerves going on, but man, being that satisfied with my tones took a lot of those nerves away.

The cherry on top was the text I got from the bass player while I was on the phone with a friend after the rehearsal;

W2oXZ9H_d.webp

I’m running the FM9 into a 2x12 with WGS Retro 30’s (slightly warmer sounding V30, less harsh on the mids) and powering it with a Duncan PS-170. I’m still in disbelief how well those tones translated from apartment-volume to band-volume. Unbelievable!

Wait to they hear you funk up some of the songs with your singin ability and spice it all up a notch LOL.

To read such feedback from a band mate that's awesome man. Good luck with this band brother 🤘

The cherry on top was the text I got from the bass player while I was on the phone with a friend after the rehearsal;

W2oXZ9H_d.webp
Okay, I have no idea what text you received. All I see in your post is an image showing “W2oXZ9H_d.webp”. I’m glad it was a good one, though.

Okay, I have no idea what text you received. All I see in your post is an image showing “W2oXZ9H_d.webp”. I’m glad it was a good one, though.
“W2oXZ9H_d.webp” is bass player shorthand for "Wow to ostensibly exonerate zat (french) 9uitar hammering underscores dat (russian) period we excitedly bestly played." - translated to English it reads Wow! To apparently absolve those guitar players your playing hands down helped us to sound the best we ever have!"

Right on brotha Drew! Best feeling ever to gel with a group of guys and know the band will nail it!
We just added a keyboardist and can finally venture into new territory. I have done 2 rehearsal with the FM9 and was beyond stoked on both too

Thanks everyone!! Eventually I’ll get some videos up and maybe do a little demo of the tones I’ve got dialed in for this. I’ve been playing high gain chugga chugga metal for years now, to the point I was nervous if I could even dial in these types of tones but after last night, I’ve got no concerns!

Awesome to see you riding high, Brother! What great feedback to get so soon. :)

I can’t even begin to describe the things that have occurred in the last month. It’s like the last two years never even happened!

Wait to they hear you funk up some of the songs with your singin ability and spice it all up a notch LOL.

To read such feedback from a band mate that's awesome man. Good luck with this band brother 🤘
Hahahahaha, I haven’t told them I sing and I haven’t even sent them my original music. I’ll spring it on them eventually. Since they want me to contribute the rock portion of the set, I imagine I’ll end up singing a few because the male singer’s voice is ultra clean and so much more R&B suited than it is a gritty rock voice. I don’t see the screaming stuff making it’s way into this band though. :D
Dude, that is SO COOL! I'm sure that made your week! Glad for ya!

There’s some outside music stuff going on that’s got me on cloud 9 right now, so this was really the cherry on top of it all. I felt like I was at around 100% fucking GREAT on Monday, but after last night….this is just crazy. Life is good, very, very good!

Right on brotha Drew! Best feeling ever to gel with a group of guys and know the band will nail it!
We just added a keyboardist and can finally venture into new territory. I have done 2 rehearsal with the FM9 and was beyond stoked on both too

That’s awesome, man! I certainly wouldn’t mind adding a keyboard player to this band at all. And the FM9, man….once I set up the layout links I’m going to be that much more in love with it. The switching abilities are just as ridiculous as the tones coming out of it.

Great report! I’m going to add an FM9 once the waitlist is served. Glad to hear another smooth transition.

Oh man, it’s a blast! I haven’t even really tweaked mine yet and it’s just so logical. I’ll be adding some Layout Links so when I hit the presets, they scenes automatically display. Just one more step (literally) to remove!

Figured I’d share a happy FM9 experience!

After the Floyd tribute band thing failed miserably, I found a cover band nearby to hop into. They do a bunch of funk/R&B/rock and it certainly gives me the chance to break out of the semi-prog-metal thing I do at home on my own. I spent the last couple weeks learning the songs and dialing in my FM9 for them. I’m in an apartment and can’t really crank up without pissing people off, so I brought my laptop with me in case I had to tweak anything due to the volume difference. The only thing I tweaked was the delay mix on one scene! It sounded GREAT! I’m using a PRS SE Semi-Hollow and the versatility of that guitar with the FM9 is ridiculous!!

Using a lot of clean-ish tones, there’s some RHCP, Marvin Gaye, EW&F, Chris Stapleton, Kings of Leon, etc. The three amps being used the most were Plexi’s, DC-30 and for the really clean stuff, the Toucana. I haven’t played guitar in a band in 15 years, outside of a 2-month fill-in period a while back, so I definitely had a bit of nerves going on, but man, being that satisfied with my tones took a lot of those nerves away.

W2oXZ9H_d.webp

I’m running the FM9 into a 2x12 with WGS Retro 30’s (slightly warmer sounding V30, less harsh on the mids) and powering it with a Duncan PS-170. I’m still in disbelief how well those tones translated from apartment-volume to band-volume. Unbelievable!

Awesome post :) ...... success or no success .... money or no money ... thats what its all about .... genuine Band "nirvana vibe" ... mega congrats :)

Ben

Awesome post :) ...... success or no success .... money or no money ... thats what its all about .... genuine Band "nirvana vibe" ... mega congrats :)

Ben

For sure! I’m not relying on this band to provide me with anything but fun. I make decent money with my day job, I just really missed playing guitar in a band and have zero desire to do it in an original band at this point. Within 90 seconds of walking into that house I could tell that everyone in the band was a happy, chill person. And at the end the singer let his dogs out of the bedroom and they got to see me melt into a puddle because I love dogs.

For sure! I’m not relying on this band to provide me with anything but fun. I make decent money with my day job, I just really missed playing guitar in a band and have zero desire to do it in an original band at this point. Within 90 seconds of walking into that house I could tell that everyone in the band was a happy, chill person. And at the end the singer let his dogs out of the bedroom and they got to see me melt into a puddle because I love dogs.
Yep X10! I've tried to find somewhat like-minded musicians who just wanted to get together for the fun of playing the music, but all I seem to come across are the ones who want to do only certain songs, "because that's what people want to hear." I say, yeah, but what about doing stuff that's fun FOR US, first? If I'm not having fun, I don't really care about taking it to a gigging level.

That’s awesome. Hard to find a good group of players that are chill and on the same page.

Yep X10! I've tried to find somewhat like-minded musicians who just wanted to get together for the fun of playing the music, but all I seem to come across are the ones who want to do only certain songs, "because that's what people want to hear." I say, yeah, but what about doing stuff that's fun FOR US, first? If I'm not having fun, I don't really care about taking it to a gigging level.

The cool thing is, in the last 6 months I’ve really fallen in love with playing guitar again. I haven’t felt like this since I was in my teens. I don’t even care what I’m playing right now, as long as I’m playing. That said, I’m anxious to inject a little more rock into the band and they asked me last night to put together a list of songs that I think would be good to add to the set. I’m almost scared to play them some of my original music because it’ll probably give them nightmares. :D
That’s awesome. Hard to find a good group of players that are chill and on the same page.

Aside from my high school bands, every band I’ve been in since I was 20, the drummer has been a dick. 5 bands in a row over 15 years. It’s one of the biggest reasons I quit playing in bands 6 years ago. I was talking to the bass player for about 2 weeks before we got together and I could tell he was a good guy. He’s a bit out there, but in a fun way that cracks me up. If they were having a contest of who could smile the most last night, I wouldn’t be surprised. They feel so innocent I’m almost scared I’m going to taint them. :D

My fave cover bands to play in have been cover bands that played songs I would never choose to play myself.
I'd never start an indie-rock band, or a reggae outfit, or back up a blues harp player. But damn if all of those
were not super fun gigs that broadened my ability and were fun as hell. :)

It also made my home rocking a lot more fun since it was a change of pace. I would come home from some
gigs and put on some of my original music and breathe a sigh of relief. It sounded so fresh to my ears after
playing some the blues for 4 hours. :)

I think the slow burn approach you are taking is best. I didn't share some of my most passionate
musical pursuits with some of the band members I have had. Most in fact. I just took the situation
for what it was and enjoyed it for the difference it brought to my life.

I trust you'll have a blast going forward. :)

I think the slow burn approach you are taking is best. I didn't share some of my most passionate
musical pursuits with some of the band members I have had. Most in fact. I just took the situation
for what it was and enjoyed it for the difference it brought to my life.

I trust you'll have a blast going forward. :)

I played some for the bass player last night, “How does someone who seems to positive and happy write such dark music?”

”That’s why I’m positive and happy.”

:D

But yeah, getting out of my comfort zone of drop tunings and chugging, it’s a refreshing change. And now I get to play with all these killer tones I normally wouldn’t! I’m having some fun with it, too. Like the solo/bridge in “Soul To Squeeze”, I’m using the Octave Distortion or whatever it’s called in the Drive block and the FAS Vibe, but the Octave Drive is mixed only 60% and the higher octaves only kicks in at the end of the notes, which is pretty cool. For the bridge section I switch to a Jumped Plexi and have both the FAS Vibe and the Roto block turned on with a shitload of delay. Fruscianti plays that section differently every time live and the bass carries most of it, so I’m mixing up what Fruscianti’s done live with what’s on the album and then ending doubling the bass part with chords. It sounds fuckin’ wild, like the amp is ready to blow up with all these delays trailing over.

Back
Top Bottom