First rehearsal with Axe FX III and the FC-12 (with video)

Brian Wahl

I've been a Helix user for over 3 years now - I actually pre-ordered it a day or two after they announced it. I've loved that thing from day 1, and I'm sure I will use it quite a bit moving forward.

But I've been working on moving over the the Axe FX III for a while now - basically building out presets and testing it at home while I waited for the FC. I got the FC-12 in earlier this week, and I rolled it out for the first time at rehearsal yesterday.

I play for a large church, so the music we do is 'modern praise and worship', which is basically U2 meets Coldplay with more reverb, ha.

Sound guy at rehearsal yesterday looked legitimately shocked (in a good way) with how good Axe FX sounded. We're doing the song 'What A Beautiful Name' this weekend, so I figured I'd do a demo of it for YouTube. Here's the video:

Integration with the FC-12 is great. I essentially got it set up the same way I use the Helix, which is exactly what I was looking for.

That Gretsch also doesn't suck :)

I have played this many times in our worship band on my FXII. You have raised the bar - well done!

Thanks so much! I've played this one a bunch using my Helix patch, so I'm excited to do it this weekend on the Axe FX :). That ambient lead part at the end is sort of a new addition to how I play this song. On the album you hear Nigel doing that part with trills (and a lot of reverb). I'm terrible at trills, so I just decided to compensate with even more reverb, haha.

I've been a Helix user for over 3 years now - I actually pre-ordered it a day or two after they announced it. I've loved that thing from day 1, and I'm sure I will use it quite a bit moving forward.

But I've been working on moving over the the Axe FX III for a while now - basically building out presets and testing it at home while I waited for the FC. I got the FC-12 in earlier this week, and I rolled it out for the first time at rehearsal yesterday.

I play for a large church, so the music we do is 'modern praise and worship', which is basically U2 meets Coldplay with more reverb, ha.

Sound guy at rehearsal yesterday looked legitimately shocked (in a good way) with how good Axe FX sounded. We're doing the song 'What A Beautiful Name' this weekend, so I figured I'd do a demo of it for YouTube. Here's the video:

Integration with the FC-12 is great. I essentially got it set up the same way I use the Helix, which is exactly what I was looking for.

That Gretsch also doesn't suck :)

What is that black and white guitar on the wall behind you ?

Last edited:
What is that black and white guitar on the wall behind you ?

That's a Jennings Voyager - one of my all time favorite guitars. Jennings does really, really good work.

Here's a better shot of it...

0395dEt.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding. Sounds amazing man.
You put some hard work into those sounds. I’m in the same boat. Have been kind of neglecting my Axe III and spending most of my time with my AX8 until I got my FC-12 last week.
Now, it’s time to get busy programming! Got my first rehearsal with it next Sunday!

Back
Top Bottom