First rehearsal with amp+axefx+mfc and 4-cable-method ... mixed results...

Orvillain

Power User
So... first practice with the Axe FX + Diezel D-Moll + MFC combo tonight. Mixed results.

- Even though I have DIY humbuster cables (TRS > TS) I am getting quite a bit of hum and noise increase in 4-cable mode. This needs solving.

- First half of the practice, the whole rig felt too quiet, and I had to turn the D-Molls masters up way past where I normally have them. I realised towards the end of the evening I needed to use the boost in the I/O menu for output 1 to compensate for a level drop somewhere. Not sure where it is occuring.

- Struggled a little bit with the MFC layout that I settled on. Think I need to rethink it. I don't like having to reach back to footswitch 17 to tap the tempo, but I do like having more than 4 presets accessible at one time. So I might have to use an external switch for tap tempo.

- Preset "lag" was imperceptible in a band mix. Quick enough for me to not care, which means I can continue to avoid scenes.

- Reaching over to access reveal mode was a bit of a pain, and a few times the IA switch to change the amp channel without changing anything on the Axe FX seemed to not work. Don't know what is going on there, but once I stuck to just preset changes, it didn't happen again.

- If I can come up with 17 presets that give me *most* of the sounds I need, I think that would be better, or again... use external switches to switch the amp and have a row of switches in front or next to the MFC.

- Still debating whether to just get a poweramp and use the amp models on the Axe FX. I did try to quickly dial in a high-gain sound, but it sounded undergained and lacked low-end. I need to set my rig up at home and see if I can figure out why.

- Before I realised about the 6dB boost in the I/O menu, I switched to just using the Axe FX into the front of the amp. Sounded good, gave me the tones I needed, but the noise was still annoying and noise-gates were less effective, obviously.

- Just using the D-Moll and having the Axe FX in the FX loop of it purely for FX isn't going to work, as I *need* delays and reverbs out front.

I love this thing for recording. I'm a bit flummoxed/cautious about live use. I guess I just need to give it more time.

Back
Top Bottom