First rehearsal, disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emil

Hello!

Second post in short time but I really need to see if someone has have the same experience I had today.

So I had the first rehearsal today after receiving the fm9 turbo 4-5 weeks ago. An hour in a blasting noise came from the unit and blew our ears out. It was some sort of white noise and it happened two times and after the second one I did put it back in the case and ended the rehearsal.

This was a very frustrating moment as I couldn’t figure it out.

The patch was created from scratch by me (cpu around 64%) and we did run MIDI clock from Ableton.

Does someone have near the same experience?

EDIT; Signal chain. Guitar, cable, sterero xlr to mixer. No expression pedals. Midi cable from mio xm and no PCs or CCs only midi clock.

All the best

Emil

Last edited:
Sorry to hear, and though my Axe II and FM3 have never had a problem like that I have preferred to use MIDI CC's for timing rather than a steady MIDI Clock, thinking there's less overhead needed.

I just send the Axe's four quarter note or eight note MIDI CC's mapped to Tap Tempo when needed (or whatever is needed depending on the time signature etc), and that sets the tempo in the Axes with much less CPU overhead used.

Good luck figuring that out!

If you post your preset and system setting, someone might find a cause. What was connected to the unit...computer, expression pedals, external button, etc.?

If you post your preset and system setting, someone might find a cause. What was connected to the unit...computer, expression pedals, external button, etc.?
Good point,

No expression pedal used, midi cable from a MIOXM to fm9, no external switches.

I'll have a look at the system settings in the morning

Here's the preset.

Cheers

Emil

Attachments

• THE PRESET.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Not the 9 but the FM3. I was running a loop and auditioning cabs and tweaking away, and then I got full volume horrible noise. I turned it off. There was no meaningful preset to share since I was making changes that were unsaved. I wasn’t even sure which one I was running. Hasn’t happened since. Scared the crap out of me haha.

You need to determine if it's the FM9 or a setting/trigger in Ableton. Set your system up again as at the rehearsal and try to reproduce the problem - LOW volume of course. If you are able to reproduce the problem, remove the Ableton computer and see if you can still reproduce it. My money would be on something in Ableton causing the issue, not an issue with the FM9.

Never had a problem inside ableton with midi. I have used more with the III and the QC/HX but also with the 9. I will say sometimes sync can be quirky with the III only. Be it does resolve itself. I have not had that issue with the QC/HX.

You need to determine if it's the FM9 or a setting/trigger in Ableton. Set your system up again as at the rehearsal and try to reproduce the problem - LOW volume of course. If you are able to reproduce the problem, remove the Ableton computer and see if you can still reproduce it. My money would be on something in Ableton causing the issue, not an issue with the FM9.
Arguably the FM9 shouldn't do a noise blast regardless of what bent midi messages it gets.

Now if Ableton itself was putting out the audio of that itself, that's a different story. Are you really sure the noise didn't come from there? Do you use Ableton for audio, or only midi automation?

Arguably the FM9 shouldn't do a noise blast regardless of what bent midi messages it gets.

Now if Ableton itself was putting out the audio of that itself, that's a different story. Are you really sure the noise didn't come from there? Do you use Ableton for audio, or only midi automation?
That’s my thought as well. I would be much more calm if it just freeze and I have to reboot it.

No midi CCs or PCs were sent, there wasn’t even a midi track running. I copied my previous fm3 settings right off. And that worked flawless, with the same Ableton project.

Imagine Neal Schon's FM9 doing this and killing a crowd of 40,000... ;) I hope it's not a hardware issue...
Not exactly the same, but to have it in the Royal Hall in Stockholm next week is a little nervous right now.

Not true at all... There are many parameters that can be controlled via midi and some of those can increase levels, maybe induce feedback, etc.
Unfortunately there were no CCs and PCs sent. Only clock. And it happened on places we’ve been earlier in the Ableton project

But I will try it out and hopefully manage to reproduce the problem later today, I’ll give you an update!

Unfortunately there were no CCs and PCs sent. Only clock. And it happened on places we’ve been earlier in the Ableton project
Do you have tempo sync'd delays or other effects/parameters? I'm assuming yes or you wouldn't need the clock...

Some delays can generate artifacts such is high pitched "chirping" and others if the tempo gets changed quickly. Other parameters can also be sync'd to tempo.

Midi beat clock is not always "constant"... It can be jittery.

Connect a clock to your unit and press the Tempo button on the front and watch the tempo. It almost certainly will not stay on the same value (based on my experience).

I'm not saying this is the cause but it's still possible...

Hopefully you can reproduce it so you can figure out to prevent it!

Do you have tempo sync'd delays or other effects/parameters? I'm assuming yes or you wouldn't need the clock...

Some delays can generate artifacts such is high pitched "chirping" and others if the tempo gets changed quickly. Other parameters can also be sync'd to tempo.

Midi beat clock is not always "constant"... It can be jittery.

Connect a clock to your unit and press the Tempo button on the front and watch the tempo. It almost certainly will not stay on the same value (based on my experience).

I'm not saying this is the cause but it's still possible...

Hopefully you can reproduce it so you can figure out to prevent it!
Exactly, but I also use it to control the tempo of a LFO that controls a volume block creating a ducking effect like a sidechain.

Still, with this “little” happening I really can’t understand why it would behave like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom