First preset gets deleted when switching to it from another preset

@FractalAudio Spent a little time just tinkering with this. I can make this simple preset disappear pretty consistently, but I haven't been able to make this much more complex preset disappear yet. Is there something in one of the effects blocks that is present in the complex preset that gives it "digital staying power" so it doesn't get lost?

Full disclosure: Still experiencing this with Axe Edit 1.06.10 and Firmware 13.02. iMac Catalina

Attachments

• In1-Amp-Cab-Out1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
  • RADARS 107 BPM.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
I already did a test with a preset that contains just a shunt as preset 000 and as "starting preset". It's exactly the same, hence I doubt that the problem is related to an effect block.

I already did a test with a preset that contains just a shunt as preset 000 and as "starting preset". It's exactly the same, hence I doubt that the problem is related to an effect block.

I think you might have misunderstood my post. What if there's a magic bullet line of code in a very complex preset, or one which contains a certain effects block, that prevents the loss of the preset when placed in preset slot #1 (000 for you non-offset folks). IOW - what if, for example, when the multi-tap delay block is preset, the preset NEVER EVER gets lost if placed in slot 000? Wouldn't that be interesting to research and determine what it has that none of the other effects blocks have?

@FractalAudio Spent a little time just tinkering with this. I can make this simple preset disappear pretty consistently, but I haven't been able to make this much more complex preset disappear yet.

Full disclosure: Still experiencing this with Axe Edit 1.06.10 and Firmware 13.02. iMac Catalina

My first preset was very complex and still got deleted.

So you are saying the problem with the first preset being deleted is still happening with Axe Edit 1.06.10 and Firmware 13.02. I haven't installed it yet, but I was hoping it would fix the problem. I am surprised Cliff wasn't able to fix this bug with this new firmware release. I was certain he'd be able to do it.

My first preset was very complex and still got deleted.

So you are saying the problem with the first preset being deleted is still happening with Axe Edit 1.06.10 and Firmware 13.02. I haven't installed it yet, but I was hoping it would fix the problem. I am surprised Cliff wasn't able to fix this bug with this new firmware release. I was certain he'd be able to do it.
He can't reproduce it reliably, which is a really good starting point for working on a fix.

It's easily reproduced by 7 of us from this thread alone. It happened almost immediately for me again tonight. I'm still on firmware 13.01 and 1.06.09 Axe Edit.

I just decided to backup everything then reset my system parameters, to see if it might help. I reset the system parameters. powered down, waited five seconds, powered on, then installed the backup of my system parameters. I am going to play for a while and see if it helped or not.

Update:
Well that didn't help. It's still happening after the system reset. It just took a few minutes for it to start happening again.
Preset shows "empty" on FC-12 and on Axe FXIII screen as well. It was worth a shot. Axe Edit was not on at all.

Last edited:
I can reproduce it with a hit ratio of 100% and can‘t narrow it down to a special preset setup or blocks. I think our job is done here. Let‘s hope Cliff finds the bug 🙂

Last edited:
I can reproduce it with a hit ratio of 100% and can‘t narrow it down to a special preset setup or blocks. I think our job is done here. Let‘s hope Cliff finds the bug 🙂

Agreed. I give up. I tried one more thing tonight. I had my preset offset to 1, so I tried setting it to 0. It didn't help, it just deletes preset 0 now instead of 1.

It's easily reproduced by 7 of us from this thread alone. It happened almost immediately for me again tonight. I'm still on firmware 13.01 and 1.06.09 Axe Edit.

I just decided to backup everything then reset my system parameters, to see if it might help. I reset the system parameters. powered down, waited five seconds, powered on, then installed the backup of my system parameters. I am going to play for a while and see if it helped or not.

Update:
Well that didn't help. It's still happening after the system reset. It just took a few minutes for it to start happening again.
Preset shows "empty" on FC-12 and on Axe FXIII screen as well. It was worth a shot. Axe Edit was not on at all.

Was the FC-12 connected when you rebooted after resetting the system parameters? Also, have you checked to see if the issue recurs after resetting the system parameters and not installing a backup of the system parameters afterward?

That's already been tested. No matter which combination of FC, Axe-Edit, frontpanel or booting with or without FC or system reset, it's always the same!

That's already been tested. No matter which combination of FC, Axe-Edit, frontpanel or booting with or without FC or system reset, it's always the same!

For who? Some people seem to have different results. For example, the new update is working perfectly for me.

My workflow in real life makes it more convenient for me to use presets 21-up. Just a complicated scenario tied to the way I organize my midi song PC command assignments in my midi controller. I use "song 21 and up" and send PC21 and up from the controller, and it just messes with my mind if I was sending PC1 commands. So, I just start my useable presets in the axe at preset 21.

So, for me personally, this isn't an issue. But I am just more interested in helping Cliff track it down, if I can contribute in a positive manner.

Yes, the fact that it is somewhat intermittent, makes it even more slippery.

Some people seem to have different results.

I actually believe that everybody has this bug.
The people that have different results just don't get this error because they never do a certain sequence of things.

I have two Axe-Fx III. One early model and a more recent one and I can reproduce it on both.
I also asked a buddy with an Axe-Fx III to try this and he can reproduce it too. I'm sure you can reproduce it on your Axe-Fx as well.

Select an arbitrary preset, except the one on location 000.
Now select a factory preset
Stay approx 1 minute on this preset
Jump directly to preset 000, no detour, select it directly via Axe-Edit, FC or frontpanel.

What happens? :)

It also isn't a problem for me. At some point I noticed this, saw that this behavior is already discussed here and also tried to help with some observations which could help debugging.

Yes, the fact that it is somewhat intermittent, makes it even more slippery.

I didn't notice an intermittence. The most important part is that you stay while on a preset before you switch to 000. If you don't stay long enough it will not happen.

Last edited:
Jump directly to preset 000, no detour, select it directly via Axe-Edit, FC or frontpanel.

What happens?

I selected an arbitrary preset other than 000, then selected a factory preset (ie. 003), waited approximately 10 minutes, then jumped directly to preset 000 by manually typing 000 into the preset numeric data field; however, this did not reproduce the issue.

I have two Axe-Fx III. One early model and a more recent one and I can reproduce it on both.
I also asked a buddy with an Axe-Fx III to try this and he can reproduce it too. I'm sure you can reproduce it on your Axe-Fx as well.

These are the type of steps that Cliff and the beta testers need to confirm the issue.

Once they can reproduce it at will it will be much easier to diagnose.

Doesn't do it here. Tried on two different units.

Very interesting. It works each time here. I will make a video tomorrow, maybe there is something which I missed.

Back
Top Bottom