First Practice with the Axe

Ted Sunrise

I got the XL+ about 4 months ago. After watching countless videos on creating your own unique tones while still on the waiting list, I received the unit and was ready to dive into it. Now all this time later and still not a single preset created.

All of the digital guitar gear purchases I made prior to the Axe sounded horrible straight out of the box. But the Axe is special and in having all the great presets I find myself more immersed in my playing and just enjoying the tone. It also sparked an interest to learn more songs and even try some that were too initimidating to attempt before.

My music project was taking a break over the summer (kids, etc) and today some of the band was able to get together. There were many compliments about the tone during and after practice despite some of my sloppy playing.

Only one thing scared me during practice when my MFC-101 locked up in the middle of a Tool cover using a Diezel preset. We were playing "Ænema" and I had the drive pedal engaged. During a few parts I was experimenting with a flanger vs phaser and accidentally switched both on with the drive still engaged, also a delay. On the MFC the switch #'s engaged were 7, 8, 9 & 14. I think the factory preset was #070.

Keep in mind my XL+ is still 100% unaltered from Fractal and has never been hooked to a computer. I've literally just enjoyed the hell out of the presets and haven't tweaked anything yet. The only choice was to play out the rest of the song with everything engaged and rebooted after, problem didn't come back.

I realize having too many effects can eat up cpu but I wouldn't expect that to lead to total loss of control with the MFC. In retrospect I should have checked to see if the preamp control knobs and buttons worked before rebooting but I tried every button on the MFC with no luck except the tuner which still functioned normally.

Still 100% happy with the purchase but just a little nervous this will happen in a show scenario. Probably not on the latest firmware either so I need to look into that and start reading the manual again. Can't wait to explore the tone creating possibilties for original music but just wanted to give a shout out to the Fractal Team for creating the best sounding piece of equipment out of the box I have ever purchased.

I don't think the mfc issue was because of cpu. the preset is already loaded with the blocks and the cpu is there if you engage them or not, except for the fact that some blocks can use varying amounts of cpu when changing x-y states. how are you connecting your mfc? what kinda power condition is there were you practice? phantom power to the mfc threw the communication cable can some times be a problem if the power source is iffy, or you are using a poor quality cable, or extremely long cables.

Only one thing scared me during practice when my MFC-101 locked up in the middle of a Tool cover using a Diezel preset. We were playing "Ænema" and I had the drive pedal engaged. During a few parts I was experimenting with a flanger vs phaser and accidentally switched both on with the drive still engaged, also a delay. On the MFC the switch #'s engaged were 7, 8, 9 & 14. I think the factory preset was #070.

Most of the default factory presets don't really use all of the scenes, and if you were to select a scene that has not been configured then chances are that all of the blocks (or effects) will be enabled. Is it possible you might have accidentally gone into scene mode and engaged a scene that has everything enabled by default?

Also @paranoid raises a good point, FASLink is by far the most reliable connection for an MFC to the AFX, how are you connecting yours?

I don't think the mfc issue was because of cpu. the preset is already loaded with the blocks and the cpu is there if you engage them or not, except for the fact that some blocks can use varying amounts of cpu when changing x-y states. how are you connecting your mfc? what kinda power condition is there were you practice? phantom power to the mfc threw the communication cable can some times be a problem if the power source is iffy, or you are using a poor quality cable, or extremely long cables.
Thank you for replying and sorry it's taken so long to respond. I'm connected to the MFC via FASLink but no good power conditioner yet, just surge protection. Trying to save for a rack case, power conditioner and Fractal expression pedals at the moment.
I was plugged into my surge protector (Monster), just the Axe going to it and surge protector into the wall. No other pedals, etc. The powered speaker was plugged into a separate outlet. We're really happy with the acoustics of the room but my friend just bought the house and I don't know enough about the integrity of the power supply yet.
At the time of the "freeze up" I was using the factory preset, single amp setting. I have accidentally switched into a scene thats not configured before and the MFC lit up all green. In this case only some pedals were engaged while others remained inactive (red). I had not created any scenes and had not accidentally hit "Reveal" because at the time I wasn't using scenes or triggering anything close to it.
Short cables are being used but I think you're probably right about the power conditioner. I will invest in one soon. I own a Voodoo Lab Power 2 Plus but I think a thread on this forum indicated the outlet provided doesn't offer any conditioning.

Most of the default factory presets don't really use all of the scenes, and if you were to select a scene that has not been configured then chances are that all of the blocks (or effects) will be enabled. Is it possible you might have accidentally gone into scene mode and engaged a scene that has everything enabled by default?

Also @paranoid raises a good point, FASLink is by far the most reliable connection for an MFC to the AFX, how are you connecting yours?
Thank you, I am connected via FASLink and didn't accidentally trigger a scene. But I am clumsy so anything is possible I guess. :confused:

I can happily report no repeat issue on second practice held 2 nights ago. This time I was able to play through two powered speakers so I got to experience the Axe's capability at another level.:eek:
Also dove into the manual a bit more and started setting up a few presets with scenes. Being able to X/Y two amps and having scene control during practice forever changed me and as much as I enjoy the presets, I may never look back. :D

Back
Top Bottom