First post...Jazz Tone Match

200man

Power User
First of all...thank you axe-fx team for producing this product.

I bought the axe fx ii xl+...and it has greatly simplified my work flow.
Though I understand this box, with all the fun in it, could be a horrible distraction. ;)

The intent of this exercise was to have an easy way to directly record a jazz guitar...with no compromise.
Unless I'm missing something this box does it.

While I was impressed with the stock presets for jazz..I was floored at what tone matching could do in conjunction.
I will post the tone match in the future...here is what I did:
recorded my gibson l5-ces...deluxe reverb amp->jbl d130f 15" speaker->akg 414 mic->rme fireface ufx mic pre
Then I did the tone match thing...
Never had such a balanced tonal result right out the box. It sounded real good...no weird digital artifacts or peculiarities at all. Sounded like a perfectly analog result. This stopped me in my tracks.

I have toyed in the past with digitech processors, pods, palmer pdi09, etc. I found them unusable as direct recorders for different reasons but especially because of the way "pick noise" was handled.

All I can say is again....thank you folks!
...and I haven't even made it to the fun stuff. :)

This is great - can you post the preset and the tone match? I am trying to get a decent jazz guitar sound out of the Axe and having some difficulty. My guitar is an Ibanez 335 copy.

First of all...thank you axe-fx team for producing this product.

I bought the axe fx ii xl+...and it has greatly simplified my work flow.
Though I understand this box, with all the fun in it, could be a horrible distraction. ;)

The intent of this exercise was to have an easy way to directly record a jazz guitar...with no compromise.
Unless I'm missing something this box does it.

While I was impressed with the stock presets for jazz..I was floored at what tone matching could do in conjunction.
I will post the tone match in the future...here is what I did:
recorded my gibson l5-ces...deluxe reverb amp->jbl d130f 15" speaker->akg 414 mic->rme fireface ufx mic pre
Then I did the tone match thing...
Never had such a balanced tonal result right out the box. It sounded real good...no weird digital artifacts or peculiarities at all. Sounded like a perfectly analog result. This stopped me in my tracks.

I have toyed in the past with digitech processors, pods, palmer pdi09, etc. I found them unusable as direct recorders for different reasons but especially because of the way "pick noise" was handled.

All I can say is again....thank you folks!
...and I haven't even made it to the fun stuff. :)

Very nice guitar dude. Congrats!

This preset includes a twin reverb feeding both the original tone match and a cab model.
Also have a tone match of a mic at the fretboard.

I like to think of this as a work in progress so...collaboration or opinions are welcome.
There is some verb and delay at the end but not thinking about the effects much yet.

The purpose of the preset is for traditional arch top jazz...
http://www.200man.com/axefx/the_l5.zip

Next I'll try to record this preset in action...I hope there are some others like me here trying to get this axefx to do jazz.

Last edited:
There are a thousand posts in this tone match and I didn't find anything like this tone match....definitely in the minority.
Just to be clear, this is in the vein of Wes Montgomery, George Benson, Pat Martino, Jim Hall, Hank Garland, etc... old school jazz.

But it still an Axe FX II XL(+) preset not compatible with Axe FX II (mark I or II) - not your fault just my bad luck.

Well...sorry about that. :(
Anyway, one other thing...the patch is centered around a standard fender medium pick.

Back
Top Bottom