First note clipping AXE FX II XL

Why hello friends! I am currently running Axe FX II XL with the most current ARES firmware.
I have encountered an issue. It appears on all of the presets regardless of instrument.
When I change to a preset, and hit a note, the first note clips egregiously. Then it figures it self out and I keep playing with no problems. But if I switch presets or stop playing, the first note clips egregiously again.
For recording purposes, I can just smash a dummy note before I start playing, but it's rather inconvenient for live/rehearsal use.
There are no clipping issues otherwise.
Thoughts?
(of note, I have already completely reset everything as an attempt to remedy the issue)

Last edited:
Can you post a recording?

How are you determining that there's clipping?

I've never heard of anything like the issue you're describing.

You say "all presets" - are all presets ones you created or factory presets?

Can you post a recording?

How are you determining that there's clipping?

I've never heard of anything like the issue you're describing.

You say "all presets" - are all presets ones you created or factory presets?

Yes, here is a recording.
I am determining there is clipping based on the red light on "out 1" on the panel in addition to the sound which is... well it sounds like when you send a too-hot signal into your headphones.

The clipping is actually MORE jarring in the recording, which I'm assuming is an artifact of recording direct and overloading the sound card on my Mac, but the problem exists even when just using headphones.

Here it is with a variety of self made and factory presets. Notice the first note in each group of notes clips.
The instrument is a passive precision bass.

How hot are your signals in the audio meters? What are the input gate settings?
All of the signals in the audio meters are normal except for the red output clip on the aforementioned notes.

In terms of input gate settings, here are examples of different ones from patches I used on the above recording. As you can see they vary:

ig2.png

ig1.png

How are you interfacing to your DAW?

If you connect ONLY your bass and headphones (or speakers) and no other cables do you hear this sound?

That's definitely not good.

How are you interfacing to your DAW?

If you connect ONLY your bass and headphones (or speakers) and no other cables do you hear this sound?

That's definitely not good.
Yes I hear this sound directly when plugged in with my headphones to the unit, it sounds slightly different but it is still a painfully loud clip for the first note.
I am interfacing via USB to the DAW, but when practicing without the daw im just using headphones and it persists.
Plugged directly into instrument input with my bass, and headphones.

You might try contacting Fractal support.

Even though it's not officially supported any more they may have an idea of what could be causing that.

• What happens if you use a fixed value for Input-Z? I.e. don't use Auto?
  • What's the simplest patch that still has the problem?
  • Do you have an issue with a direct thru patch? I.e. Preset only consists of In -> Out.
  • Do you still get clipping when using a "No Instrument Input Preset"? I.e. Just a non-tracking synth block directly into out? What happens if you bypass the synth block (effectively muting device) and then turning the synth block back on?

• Do you have an issue with a direct thru patch? I.e. Preset only consists of In -> Out.
  • Do you still get clipping when using a "No Instrument Input Preset"? I.e. Just a non-tracking synth block directly into out? What happens if you bypass the synth block (effectively muting device) and then turning the synth block back on?
I will test out these things to the best of my ability as soon as I get a chance and report back. The simplest I have tried is probably 65 bassman model into one of the blackface cab models.

I will test out these things to the best of my ability as soon as I get a chance and report back. The simplest I have tried is probably 65 bassman model into one of the blackface cab models.
  • No change with input z
  • the past post
-direct thru, no issue
-i wasnt able to figure out the synth thing... but i did come to a discovery. when I lower master volume trim on various presets, the problem seems to go away. not sure why. but it does. so i guess i can do that?

I had to turn down the factory presets because they all clipped out of the box for me and after every update. They were just above the red. Guitar in the front jack all set normal nothing changed. I use frfr monitors and sometimes usb to my pc to control the axe edit interface. Never understood why they presets were set so hot . Maybe people who use poweramp instead of powered speakers need it hotter I don't see why though. I figured it was this way for everyone. Had my unit at lest 8 years always been the same after any update or factory reset. I love the sounds I get just had to turn down the master volume bit. Some of the axe change presets are on to get but most re brutally loud and clip till I turn down the trim a lot. I don't get eve close to noon on the front panel out 1 and it is loud. My pickups are pretty hot My instrument in is good at around 16 percent.

Use the VU meter in the Utility menu to set your preset levels. That ensures you have plenty of headroom in your presets.

Back
Top Bottom