First ML Cab Pack for 2016: "The Little Guy"

You ever try a genz benz g-flex 2x12? It is what I use with my 5150 II for live playing and it really sounds huge.
I haven't heard of that actually. I always thought Genz Benz created bass gear. Or is this meant for bass but sounds awesome with guitars as well? :)

I haven't heard of that actually. I always thought Genz Benz created bass gear. Or is this meant for bass but sounds awesome with guitars as well? :)
They made a line of amps and cabs for George Lynch. It is all discontinued now but if you search around google for Genz-Benz G-flex 2x12 reviews there are people that swear by them, including me. The cab has ports on the bottom to make them sound huge and boy do they sound huge. They are sort of a cab that does not play well with every amp out there which is basically due to the stock speakers having a pretty distinct sound that doesn't work well with everything, but with that 5150 II and a 808 in front it sounds like a hammer to the chest.

Edit, This is one piece of equipment that I would never change in my tube rig. I have been thinking of getting the 50 watt 5153 but I definitely do NOT need to upgrade my cabinet. It just sounds beast.

That's interesting. There is a truth to discontinued pieces of gear being awesome. It has happened so many times in the past. :) If I ever find one I'm going to shoot IR's off of it.

You ever try a genz benz g-flex 2x12? It is what I use with my 5150 II for live playing and it really sounds huge.
I've never played one but I've heard that they are really good.
They are ported yeah? I've heard the sound dispersal is really wide and even.

You guys might have seen this in the Recordings thread, but here is the Citrus 2x12 using single mic R121 IRs.

I wasn't sure how a 2x12 would work for my stuff but it's become one of my go to IRs.

I'll get a US 2x12 clip up soon.

I've never played one but I've heard that they are really good.
They are ported yeah? I've heard the sound dispersal is really wide and even.
Yes, both the 4x12 and the 2x12 are ported which is where the beef comes from so I don't know how shooting IRs on one would work. The speakers are also "flexed" away from a each other just a bit which spreads everything out. I can't post links so I can't post a picture to show, but even when my other guitarist was playing through a 4x12 I was just as loud if not louder than he was while remaining tight and no bass flubbs.

I just picked up one of these Mesa Boogie 2x12 recto cabinets:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RectCab212H

Is what you have up here comparable? Wondering because my cab is rated for 120 watts. If not, have you released an IR of this cabinet in the past? It has the stock speakers.
This is an older Mesa cab. Back when Celestion was English they made the 70w V30s custom for Mesa. Those are a bit more sought after but I hear the newer V30s they use are really good as well. Just a bit different sounding. :)

This is an older Mesa cab. Back when Celestion was English they made the 70w V30s custom for Mesa. Those are a bit more sought after but I hear the newer V30s they use are really good as well. Just a bit different sounding. :)

So are the newer 120 watt rated recto 2x12 cabs using chinese v30's then?

So are the newer 120 watt rated recto 2x12 cabs using chinese v30's then?

Mesa is still receiving specially made for them V30's, but the wattage rating has changed since back in the day. There is a lot of information on this confusing subject out there, but Mesa speakers still today seem to be different compared to the Chinese manufactured ones.

Mesa is still receiving specially made for them V30's, but the wattage rating has changed since back in the day. There is a lot of information on this confusing subject out there, but Mesa speakers still today seem to be different compared to the Chinese manufactured ones.

Cool, good to know. Yeah, I tried doing a search, but my google-fu was not strong enough to find an answer to this question.

Cool, good to know. Yeah, I tried doing a search, but my google-fu was not strong enough to find an answer to this question.

It's so utterly confusing that you might be happier to just not delve too deeply into it. There is a bit of a difference between English and Chinese V30's, but there is a slight difference in one speaker to the next regardless. Not to mention they all sound really great regardless if they're from the China plant, made specially for Mesa, specially made for Orange, or specially made for Marshall.

It's so utterly confusing that you might be happier to just not delve too deeply into it.
^^^This.

There's no shortage of Internet pundits who are eager to tell you what you're supposed to like.

If you find that the deeper you dig, the more confused you get, then most of what you're reading and hearing is B.S.

Back
Top Bottom