First Impressions - Tech 21 FlyRig5

Finally got to hear Scott's clip via the download. It sounds good to me!

Funny thing Scott I asked about the case because I have the same guitar, same year too, and figured if it fits in your case it will fit in mine. :pride:

I posted that video from Tech21 to show how useable the controls can be in dialing in a tone. Also I like that the controls are small and hard to inadvertently move when you use the footswitches.

If it had delay and reverb it could work for acoustic too. I have a friend who does cruise ship work, mostly acoustic, and this is the perfect size, but I'm guessing it aint gonna cut it. Curious to hear it with acoustic though.

If it had delay and reverb it could work for acoustic too. I have a friend who does cruise ship work, mostly acoustic, and this is the perfect size, but I'm guessing it aint gonna cut it. Curious to hear it with acoustic though.

um, it does have delay and reverb....

I think you can turn the delay into chorus, there was something about this in the oficial demo.

Scott where did you get one so soon?
It is out of stock everywhere i look, i want to order one ASAP so my friend can bring it to me from US.

I think you can turn the delay into chorus, there was something about this in the oficial demo.

Scott where did you get one so soon?
It is out of stock everywhere i look, i want to order one ASAP so my friend can bring it to me from US.

There were 10 available at Amazon the day I bought mine, there were 3 left at that point once I did.

"Something like a GT-8 is a fairly different unit. The GT-8 has a whole bunch of amp models (a lot of them rubbish), a whole bunch of FX, a range of ODs, somewhat flexible routing, an EXP pedal (and option for another or a 2-button switch), assigns, etc. The FlyRig is a fairly basic, stripped right back type of thing. Going by Scott's clip, it doesn't sound half bad, but you're not going to have anywhere near the options of something like a GT or a POD. But it depends on what your needs are.

That said, I never had much luck getting a decent direct sound out of my GT-8 (into a tube poweramp and cab was fine), and it is what... 10 years old or something now. Modelling has moved a fair way since then. "

I agree with you, I was only looking for something in the GT series as I'm familiar with it from my days gigging with the 3/8/10 models. But I really only want something light and travel worthy for a backup and to bring to practice so I dont have to lug my AXE/Pedalboard ....grab a guitar, the TECH and hit the road.

I agree with you, I was only looking for something in the GT series as I'm familiar with it from my days gigging with the 3/8/10 models. But I really only want something light and travel worthy for a backup and to bring to practice so I dont have to lug my AXE/Pedalboard ....grab a guitar, the TECH and hit the road.
Yeah sure, if the FlyRig covers what you want for the purpose you want it for... why not? Seems to sound quite decent, in a tiny little package, and Tech 21 stuff as far as I know tends to be very reliable. Not much to complain about there. My backup/b-rig solution is a small pedalboard rig, and it's slowly coming together. Preamp, the FX I need, tuner, etc., all wired up and powered, into a Magnum 44. Will be handy and much smaller 'n' lighter than my Axe-FX/MFC rig. Of course you could easily run a 44 with whatever all-in-one unit if you wanted to power it through a cab instead of going direct.

I thought about a newer GT or a POD HD thing or something instead, but this way I have to spent a heap of money on a bunch of different pedals, waste a bunch of time making cables and running it all neatly, and overall it'll be a lot less flexible, so... wait... what? :|

When running direct to FOH do you need to use any type of cab sim like an H&K redbox or does the tech 21 cover this? I know it has an amp sim but what about cab sim?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When running direct to FOH do you need to use any type of cab sim like an H&K redbox or does the tech 21 cover this? I know it has an amp sim but what about cab sim?

Yes it does have a cab sim, in post 12 Scott covered a question about it.

Yes it's impossible to find: I spent a week in NYC and look for it in many shops but I had no luck. European big online shops don't have a availability date so it's definitely sold out worldwide ...

The cool toys are always in short supply. It's been 20 years and people are still on the wait list for Cabbage Patch dolls...

So I decided to buy the new line 6 amplifi fx100 as a small backup rig since I couldn't get the tech 21. I know its stupid to even wonder why my axe sounds so much better, but this unit sounds so bad that I may be embarrassed to ever have to actually plug it in as a backup for a gig. I may just wait it out for the tech 21 and just dump the line 6 for a loss when the time comes.

It's been 20 years and people are still on the wait list for Cabbage Patch dolls...

Closer to 30 years...
mellow.gif

I was lucky enough to buy one of the three in stock at Sam Ash when Scott posted his review. I had, only 2 days before, called every favor I was owed by retailers to try to get one without success.
So thanks for the heads up Scott!

Anyhow, this little guy is quite something. It sounds VERY good. No it is not an Axe-mini or an Axe LE, but what it does, it does quite well. I now use it for some rehearsals so I can get used to it and dial sound in context and did one gig with it. I plan on using it when I fly. Super-portable.

I had a small problem when one of the knobs would not turn. Turned out it was pushed in a bit too hard and relieving pressure handled this. Tap tempo is very useful. Range of tones is relatively "limited" after using the Axe but plenty for most gigs.

My favorite configuration now is to place a volume pedal downstream from the unit and run it at about 65-70% volume so I have plenty of headroom. Cranking all the levels will result in internal clipping so going slightly "softer" and goosing the amp is a better way.

I ran this unit direct as well as through an amp. The Sansamp character is not so drastic as precluding amp operation. But it sounds best, IMO, going direct.

I would thoroughly recommend this unit to anyone who wants a reliable, portable and effective back up to their main rig or just want a simple, no insane frills unit that works well and is ultra simple to operate.

A+!

Thanks for reviews guys.
I tried to get one before middle of july when my friend comes from US, but i am losing hope. They are sold out everywhere.

I really want an entire duplicate setup (Axe II, PCM-70, CLR + 2 countryman DI/s and a Rane Mixer + all cabling), but this thing sounds pretty damn amazing for the price! I could definitely see it and a drive pedal and a strymon timeline getting me close enough. I just looked up the price. It was about 1/3 of what I expected. I used a T21 Sansamp PSA-1 for years, and loved the hell out of it. The only thing that finally knocked it outta the box was my first Axe-FX, an Ultra. I got on board within the first year. I still for the life of me can't remember where I first heard of saw the AXE-FX. Wish I could - it was way back, when it was still pretty much under the radar.

Hoping to get mine next week from the Bax-shop in Europe. They receive a small amount of Flyrigs. Next delivery is unknown that's why they put ' delivery in 26 weeks' on their site.

Cool site where they created a pedalboard around a flyrig.: Fly Rig 5

Back
Top Bottom