First Impressions - Tech 21 FlyRig5

It is not a huge problem, i just wanted to know if it is just my unit. I like the pedal in general - just what i need for backup and rehearsals where there is no amp.

I got one of these as a backup also and played through it at a practice last week and had quite a bit of fun with it. It's well-thought out as a gigging unit. You dial in a nice clean with the Sansamp section and a nice crunch with the Plexi section. Making the Hot button boost both the Sansamp and Plexi tone is clever - that gives you the 4 combinations you need for a gig: Clean, Clean/Boost, Crunch, Crunch/Boost (Solo). Add in using your guitar's volume and pickup selectors and you can cover a lot of ground. I thought it reacted very well to all guitar settings I used. Having the buttons to switch sounds while playing is all you need - it's definitely workable for a gig in a pinch. The delay is nice - you can go from a slapback to a long delay and even dial in a chorus-type effect. Reverb is on-board too. You can't believe how small and light it is - the power supply is even light. Run it direct to the board or an amp.

Throw it in your guitar case as a backup - it's a no-brainer.

I just got my Tech21 Flyrig 5 a few days ago and have been testing it out in a lot of different configurations.

First impressions are very good.

It works well straight into my Mesa combo, in the FX loop of the combo, and sounds good direct into a mixer and through my studio monitors. Works well with both LP and Strat.

Gear used in test:

Mesa MkIII combo

Gibson G0 Les Paul with SD Antiquities

Fender Strat Plus with Gold Lace sensor pups

Direct to Mackie Mixer (flat) and back through two 15inch dual concentric Tannoy monitors.

DIRECT IN TO THE MkIII:

I rolled off all of the treble on the amp without the FR5 engaged and set the rest of the amp controls for a warm clean sound. I dialed in a very slight amount of reverb on the boogie.

I then engaged the Sansamp; Set tone controls to taste and gain to a light crunch rhythm sound. Then I balanced out the engaged and disengaged levels using the Sansamp level control. I added a very small amount of reverb on the Sansamp.

This gave me a good clean amp sound, and a good crunch rhythm sound or blues lead with just a little distortion and reverb. Setting the gain a little higher on the Sansamp allowed me to use my guitar volume controls on both LP and Strat to get both a crunch chord sound and a slightly more distorted lead tone to taste.

So yes….It does clean up well and is responsive to input volume. Quite a good and useful distortion tone, not brittle and responds well.

The Plexi Section.

I didn’t like this section as much….but this is just a tonal taste thing, not a criticism. Works well, good distortion and useful controls. Marshal Plexi players will really like this and for that kind of tone it does a very good job. Lots of bottom end for that Marshall sound. This is the part I don’t like. I like the Plexi distortion but would like to control the bottom end a bit more. Bass and Mid tone controls really would have hit this thing right out of the ball park. Even a Bass control would have been enough.

With the Strat the bottom end is not as pronounced so it may suit Strat players a little more.

The Hot/Boost section

This section is really useful and if setup with the Sansamp distortion gives you another distortion mode.

DIRECT TO MIXER

I set the Sansamp to clean for this test and obtained my distortions from the Plexi and hot sections. Worked very well as designed. You need to keep the Sansamp section engaged all the time when going direct. Nice useful clean sound and the emulation circuit certainly makes the distortion smooth and not buzzy or brittle. Just disengage the Sansamp section and you’ll see how well it works.

With just a tweak on the mixer to roll off a little tops; (and I rolled off the bottom a little because my monitors are very bass heavy in a small room)……. and the sound was really useful. Definitely as advertised.

OTHER PEDEALS

I tried a Zendrive, a Timmy, and a TS-9 Keeley baked mod in front of the FR5 and it handled them all well. Season to taste

SUMMARY

Works well as advertised. Good reverb and delay section. The Sansamp section is very versatile and sounds good direct. Nice range of OD sounds available from the Sansamp.
The Plexi section is useful, whether you like Marshall sounds or not, and will vary a little depending on pups. Would be improved a lot with the addition of a bass control.

My preference is for my Keeley TS-9 in front and a volume pedal at the end of the chain but the FR5 is still quite a useful tool without them. I bought it to resurrect my MkIII for small blues type gigs and I believe this will give great control and minimum junk on the floor. It’s going to be very useful for jams on its own and the perfect backup for my AxrFx rig.

The addition of just one extra dirt pedal really expands the utility of the FR5. I've yet to try it at a jam or gig but I've no reason to believe that it won't do a great job with a few tweaks to allow for Fletcher-Munson.

It's a keeper.

Does anyone know if there are any dip switches inside that could be set to change the EQ in the Plexi section?

I just picked up one of these myself. Not only is it a great small, keep-in-your-guitar-case-backup-rig for the Axe Fx, but it really could be a useful substitute for simple gigs or rehearsals. I tried a few other items to have a small backup including a Zoom G3 and an AMT Legend B1 pedal but the Tech21 Fly Rig obliterates these in terms of tone for my ears.

The Fly Rig is a real winner.

Got mine yesterday.
I had read all the reviews about how small the unit is... but you really don't realize until you are holding it.
It is almost comical how tiny it is!! :eek:
But it does pack a punch!
The Plexi side is a BEAST!!
The reverb is pretty darn good!
I am not completely decided on the Delay yet...

Nowadays, almost 6 years from the last post, you can get the flyrig for a low price used. I have been messing around with the unit for the last few months. I have a small Fender champion 600 and the flyrig makes it sound amazing at home. The amp on its own can sound quite harsh with drive pedals but the flyrig takes drive pedals really well and makes the amp more balanced and responsive. I tried to get a similar result by using an EQ instead of the flyrig, but the results weren't even close.

One thing I noticed is some hiss as soon as you turn on the sans amp section. It gets louder when you turn up the reverb but it doesn't get louder when you turn up the sans amp volume. So I usually set the sans amp volume to 3 o clock in order to be well above the hiss with my volume. I wish it had an FX loop so you could run a noise gate in front of the reverb and delay.

Apart from that it also works really well with the mooer radar IR loader and headphones. In my opinion the IR loader adds more life to the sound. Again, it's cab sim into IR loader, but I really like the tone.

Back
Top Bottom