First Impressions on the AX8, added recording

Rick

Axe-Master
Sometimes I just overthink things. What would the AX8 be like? Would it really sound like the XL+? Would the interface be weird? Hard to get to know? All that stuff.

Joe said something in passing in one of the first AX8 videos I saw, back in October. I didn't pay it too much mind, but this is the spoiler to the story.

"It's effectively an Axe Fx and a foot pedal integration." That's it.

It sounds like the XL+ and the foot controls are even more tailor made to the unit than the MFC is to the Axe Fx. If you're into short stories, you can stop here. That really does cover it.

For those stalwart post readers, here, as they say, is the rest of the very early story. Opened the very familiar looking Fractal box (several of those still hanging around the music room) and saw the manual (LOVE printed manuals, I don't care if they get outdated... they help me learn), well packed in the foam was the wonder box we've been reading about. Hefty dude, this, obviously built for the road. Power cord and we're off.

Wired up, ran stereo to my StudioLive 32Ai and into Presonus Scepter 8s from Out 1. Mission EP-1 to Ext 1, will calibrate later. Powered on. Like I said elsewhere, it helps the sound exactly zero, but this thing has the most beautiful power on sequence. Love it. Picked up PRS 513 for testing, and jumped in with (literally) both feet. I read a lot of the manual before it arrived, which I found out was worthwhile but doesn't stay with you like reading while you have the box in front of you. Didn't matter though... if you're familiar with the Axe Fx you'll be getting around in no time. Learned stepping through banks, sticky presets/scenes, tuner, played with knobs and buttons to see what happened where, pretty predictable in a good workflow sense. REALLY like the 8 LED knobs, which I wasn't paying attention to at first. Not used to them being there. Sakes alive, folks, they work GREAT. Do not pass these up!

Sound: What can I say? It sounds like the Axe Fx. Really. I like the amps I like in the Axe Fx, don't like the ones I didn't like before, the whole tomato. I will drag the XL+ in from the trailer and do a side by side into the board to see, but it sounds totally real deal to me.

Controls: These are where the rig departs from the Axe Fx/MFC. The lights for each switch are a great improvement, you always know what's on, what scene, X/Y at a glance. Not as many switches, so you have to think through your presets a bit more. You know what I realized? This is about the number of buttons I was using per preset anyway. Haven't found a lot I can't make fit. I am coming of the very early, three hours in opinion that this is a pretty well thought out arrangement after all. I am even more convinced I need to do a lot of work on scenes. This control layout just makes them make more sense to me.

Conclusion: Love, Love, Loving it. Tomorrow will be a loooooong work day waiting to come home and really dive in. This thing kicks some serious butt.

Awesome job Fractal Audio. Totally lives up to the billing and hype.

ADDED: AX8 Edit is great too, the way to go for learning what is going on in a preset. Niceness.

Last edited:
Short version: Love, Love, Loving it. Tomorrow will be a loooooong work day waiting to come home and really dive in. This thing kicks some serious butt.

Don't forget to sleep. It does help it sound good :)

BTW, congratulations!

Cliff has been saying this since its inception
Agreed, but you know how people can say things and it doesn't really translate to the end product? This is one of those rare cases where the simple statement turned out to be the exact explanation. If you are familiar with gigging with an Axe Fx and MFC, the description of the experience will be that simple.

Yep, looks tighter than I thought. I will see when mine comes in. I bought it from Sweetwater so I can swap it for a larger one if it turns out to not be what I need. Does look tight!

Ok, really really fast recording... all first takes, all one preset. "Bass" part is just a palm mute on the neck pickup of the 513. This is a solo section of a band original... 10 minutes, bam. No processing, not even a mix, so take it for what it is. This is going to be a great idea machine. VibroKing stock preset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom