First Impressions of the Atomic Amps CLR

I got my CLR on Thursday. I haven't had a band practice yet since I got it, so I have yet to hear it in a band context. So far I'm very happy with it. I agree 100% with Scott when he says that what you put in, you get out. My Axe Fx sounds like, well, my Axe Fx.

This is the best way I can explain my experience with it thus far. With all of the other powered monitors I've used, they were just a needed solution I used for playing live. Meaning, I would play through them when I was playing with the band, either at practice or at a gig. But when I was playing by myself just for fun, I would either play through the studio monitors or the headphones. Those were more enjoyable to me.

Ever since I got the CLR, I've been turning it on whenever I've been playing the guitar, instead of grabbing the headphones, or using any other powered speaker I have. It's fun to play through. That's the easiest way to say it. It's really fun to play through. All of the other powered monitors that I play through take some time for my ears to adjust to. There is always just a little something that catches my ear in a weird way at first, and then goes away after playing for a few minutes. The CLR doesn't do that to me. I kinda forget what it is I'm playing through. I just get lost in the sound of the Axe Fx.

Ha! There's some ad copy for you "With the CLR, I kinda forget what it is I'm playing through. I just get lost in the sound of my Axe Fx." :)

Just received two of the CLR wedges Friday and after several hours of use am very happy with them.
I was as of late using Mackie Srm 450's but these have a certain clarity to me that is more listenable.
I will have to adjust several patches that had sounded great before but now need tailored. However many
sound a lot more natural, raw, organic, and alive. The only possible drawback or concern I might
mention is the heat I feel coming off of the heat sinks on the power amp on the speaker. I haven't tested
them as Scott has so cant attest yet to how they hold up from being driven hard and getting hot . I can say
that the Mackies' would run fine for awhile and then when they get hot would shut down and have to cool,
so I always had fans unless running them at low volume. I would think running the CLRs' outdoors during the summer
months in high humidity would be a real test as this is when I had most probs. Hopefully though this wont be
an issue and they can hold up over the test of time. The sound is incredible though and haven't heard anything better.

Hey guys what you recommend this CLr as studio monitor setup as well?
Especially compared to beheingers 3031a?

Does the RCF have an internal fan? How about the Matrix Q12A's? Just wondering how typical relying on an external heat sink is with amps at this power level.

I don't believe the RCF has a fan, I know the Matrix does but only comes on when needed. The newer power amp design are pretty efficient now and most don't require a fan at all as most of the energy is sent to the speakers.

Hey guys what you recommend this CLr as studio monitor setup as well?
Especially compared to beheingers 3031a?

The CLR is a different class entirely, IMHO. The CLR might be a great studio monitor setup; but you'd need a bigger room to really open them up.

Scott:
Would you know or would you expect an identical sound from the wedge and the cab?
Does the cabinet shape have much of an effect on the sound?

Hi Scott,

As always, a very thorough overview. I appreciate that you took the time to discuss this product. I too have purchased the CLR, and although I have not gigged with it yet, I am very impressed on it's translation of the AXE FX II.

Scott:
Would you know or would you expect an identical sound from the wedge and the cab?
Yes, you can expect identical sound from the wedge and the cab. Both measure the same on professional test equipment and have proven to sound the same in listening tests.

"This is not a review." :)

It's more an initial observation post than anything else. The biggest failing of initial reviews like this are that I have not gigged it in enough varying environments and conditions to offer any sort of perspective on reliability and performance under varying circumstances. Those things take time (and bass players, we are working a new guy into the band and canceled shows until we are ready to roll... which frankly is aggravating... but another topic altogether).

Scott:
Yes, you can expect identical sound from the wedge and the cab. Both measure the same on professional test equipment and have proven to sound the same in listening tests.

Thanks for the information Scott. I got on the list early, but had to put it on the backburner. Don't mind using my RCF at all though! I'll keep watching the reviews and comps. Sure sounds like a good solution.

I like what I'm hearing so far! I could really streamline my gear. I am thinking of potentially replacing both my atomic wedges (previous gen),atomic 50/50 and my KRK monitors with a pair of active CLR's. What really appeals to me is not having two sources (KRK monitors, and atomic wedges) sound so different from eachother. simple, streamlined and sexy (goin for alliteration there:)

Scott,

Need some advice based on your trials and the fact that you own a Matrix power amp. Would you go with 2 CLR Passive cabs used in conjunction with the Matrix or just go with 2 active CLR cabs and dump the Matrix? Love what I am hearing from the CLRs, just don't know if the Atomic power amps are the same quality of the Matrix. The Matrix just sounds so great thru my 412 cab, it's hard to part with it.

Thanks
John.

Scott,

Need some advice based on your trials and the fact that you own a Matrix power amp. Would you go with 2 CLR Passive cabs used in conjunction with the Matrix or just go with 2 active CLR cabs and dump the Matrix? Love what I am hearing from the CLRs, just don't know if the Atomic power amps are the same quality of the Matrix. The Matrix just sounds so great thru my 412 cab, it's hard to part with it.

Thanks
John.

John, I don't own the Matrix - it was a review sample. But, if you love your power amp, I'd seriously consider the passives. The power amp on the active CLR has features you must also not overlook - 3 modes, Sub Woofer mode, and it is bi-amped internally. If you dig the Matrix though; you have the option to then use it with the 412 you already own and the CLR passives. It's just what makes more sense to you that matters.

Thanks Scott- I appreciate that you took the time to give your impressions early on like this. You seem to always cover all the angles when chatting on a piece of kit. I've been waiting for these for quite some time, so it's really good to see the initial kudos on them from numerous folks. Look forward to hearing more on them...

Back
Top Bottom