First Gig with the FM3....thoughts

TD77

Inspired
Took the FM3 out for first gig last night and initially i was unimpressed. This was due to my own lack of paying attention and error. I would prefer just showing up with my guitar etc and playing but i'm often the "sound guy" because I have a PA. Such was the case last night. Brought my bose l1 system and a mackie mixer to give me more channels. Being I had the L1 close by I and it was a small place, I decided to leave the new headrush monitor in the car and just use the bose to hear my sound. No issue with that in theory. However, i was not cutting through with everyone else. The volume seemed to be really low from the FM3 and I didnt know why. I cranked up the pa channel volume and it worked but it was overly cranked and just wasnt right. Well, my stupidity was to blame there. I never adjusted the level dial on the top of the FM3. Dial 2 was maxed out for the FRFR (which I wasnt using) and for some reason I just blanked out that I needed to turn up dial one. With that out of the way, the issue of being heard in the mix was fixed!

I only used one preset for the gig that I made myself. It got me through but I didnt have all the sounds I normally had with my amp and pedalboard....mainly because this is still new and I didn't create presets yet. For example, I usually need the ability to run two delays (one a dotted 8th) and have the mix controlled by an expression pedal for certain parts. Definitely capable on the FM3 but I was too eager to get out and try this thing and did so without necessary sounds...made it through.

What I LOVED....

1. Set UP: To say it was easy is an understatement. No lugging my amp and pedalboard. Had a backpack with the fractal, an expression pedal and all cables I needed for the gig. Wasnt happy about the FM3 bouncing around in the backpack compartment. Just found, what I think will be, a great backpack to serve holding a DIY pedalboard and also house all my cables etc. Will report on this at a later time.

2. The SOUND: I know this is said a lot by people (usually other musicians) but I heard this from non-musicians..."you guys sounded better than ever tonight." I asked one guy who comes to shows a lot, what he meant by this exactly. He said he could hear everyone the same and it just sounded like it was very balanced. I knew what he meant. The other guys in the band also said they were really impressed with the mix. Normally I would just use my amp and adjust during a quick sound check and never mic'd it. Head and shoulders difference going direct and extremely manageable.

3. Knowing I have such a powerful and incredible sounding piece of gear to work on and dial in all the sounds I need that I have been getting out of an amp and pedalboard for years. If not MORE versatile. The cleans can really be heard without feeling like I have to fight for it or boost at times.

Aside from the user error with the level, I am really happy with this thing. Navigating three switches is not bad at all. The one preset I used had four scenes. I was able to copy the first two scenes to 5 and 6 (my lead was scene four). So after a solo i didnt have to page down for an OD and clean sound...it was right there. I got excited and pulled up one of the factory presets and there was a real difference in output volume from my preset. I didnt get into trying to adjust it so I went back to my preset. A little pre-gig prep is definitely in order.

Just wanted to share this maiden voyage experience if it helps anyone else. Got the nerves out of the system of taking this thing to a gig. Looking forward to more and really getting this thing to shine to its potential.

***Realized this should be in the REVIEWS category, my bad. Not sure how to move it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom