First gig with the Axe....

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
Ok, I waited to write my review until I finally got to take the Axe out on the town.….

I’ll slim down the “I’ve been playing tube amps for years and years” speech to just say – I probably have 30+ rack spaces of different pre-amps, processors, tube power, solid state power…and a closet full of combo amps (some tube, some modeling). My ‘go to’ rig is always my Marshall JMP-1, through a 20/20 tube power amp into a Mesa 1x12 or 2x12 (depending on the room I’m playing). Nice small rig with a real fat sound.
I play in a working cover band and also do solo acoustic gigs…I’m squeezing in about 120-130 gigs a year.

I read a ton about the Axe and I am lucky enough to live close to the Fractal office, so I dropped by to try an Ultra out before buying. Only took about 5 minutes of scrolling through patches until the Credit Card came out and I was on my way home. I’ve been test driving my Axe though every amp/speaker I own (tube power, solid state power, guitar cabs, monitors, powered monitors). And they all have plusses and minuses.
Although playing my Axe through a dual monobloc 100/100 into a Mesa 4x12 sounds like a fist in the face, I decided (for simplicity sake) to ‘try’ and go FRFR. I dialed in a QSC HPR122i monitor I have, to sound as close to a guitar cab (and my tone) as I could.
I’m not in love with the HPR122i’s…I feel they have a slight mid range nasal tone to them, but I own two…so it was an easy place to start.
Also, I have a good sized (and good quality) JBL/RCF PA (Dual 18” subs, Dual 12” tops) that I use with my cover band, so prior to taking my Axe on the road, I also set that up in my basement and ran my Axe into the PA so I could tweak a separate EQ for the output to my FOH.
So I was now happy with my basement tones…let’s see how they translate in ‘real life’.

First gig out was at a room I’ve been playing 2-3 times a month for the past 3-4 years. I’d call this my home base, so it was a comfortable place to kick off using the Axe. I put the QSC in the same spot I put my Mesa cab, propped up in the same way so it’s facing right at my ears….and turned it on. I was really hoping that in a ‘gig environment’ that the QSC FRFR would sound close to the tone that I was used to when standing on that stage, or at least that it was acceptable…but it did not sound like the tone I was used to….it sounded better! Thicker high gain tone, more low end chunk, and at the same time - tighter low end. Clean tone was really clean, and distorted tones were smooth and fat.
If anyone has ever tried the clean channel on a Marshall JMP-1, then you'd know that (even with the mods I had done on it), the clean tone still sounded like I was plugged into a toaster. But I always put up with it because I loved the distorted tone of my JMP-1. Well now I have the best of both worlds.
I’m still going to try out an Atomic and the newer QSC K or KW series (FBT stuff isn’t easy to come buy in New England) just to see what they can do…but I have just had my ‘ah ha’ moment with the Axe and FRFR. I love it.

These are my ‘suggestions’ to new owners or people thinking of buying (this is just my opinion and only intended to share what I have learned….there are obviously many ways to approach getting familiar with the Axe. This is what worked well for me):
First: READ, READ, READ….I spend a minimum of an hour a day tweaking my Axe, and I also spend an hour a day reading about the Axe (on the Forum and Wiki). This helped me from to avoid many rabbit holes. My suggestions: read Yek’s “how to’s”, read Scott and Radley’s EQ tips, read Cliff’s tips on tightening up low end, read the entire manual!!, read the Forum and search the Forum for specific information…chances are if you have a question, there is a topic on it somewhere on here.
Second: sample what others have created, it helps to get your head around what the Axe ‘can’ do. I’ve downloaded around 150 patches from the Axe Exchange and have tried them all. This helps in a lot of obvious ways. Best learning from me (even though it sounds simple) was how to get a really nice clean tone (thank you Mark Day!). Also, sample other users IR tone recipes. I bought the Redwirez Big Box collection and was a bit overwhelmed. I read a ton of threads, copied a lot of tone recipes, created them all on the IR Mixer….and started sampling until I found what I was looking for. Scott Peterson has a ton of great recipes (thanks for sharing Scott, and all others on the Forum as well).
Third: once you’ve got yourself grounded a bit, don’t be afraid to start from scratch. Trying other user’s patches is great, but starting from the ground up was the best way for me to find ‘my’ tone. Amp block, Cab block…tweak….add an EQ….tweak….and just keep going from there.

So my review of the Axe, I love it. The tone, the effects, the routing capability, the endless tweaking possibilities….what more could you ask for? (other than more hours in the day to tweak). I’m going to reiterate the tone…because that’s what it’s all about for me. I’ve tried all the Line 6 gear, the Vetta’s, the softwares….yada yada…they have great features (routing, effect combinations, amp types)…but they don’t have the sound quality of the Axe. Not even close! (IMHO)
The only other amp I feel I will ever have to buy….is a second Axe.

Cliff, thank you for doing it right.

Hi BBN,

Some very solid advice, a lot of what you went through i have been through, just love those RedWire IR's!!!! Thanks for sharing your experiences!!!!

Nice post BBN. I think my next investment would be the QSC HPR122i. thanks for your assurance regarding this monitor.

BTW, what style of music do you play? Do you have any youtube videos where we can hear your tone and subsequently the AXEFX's tone?

JWDubois said:
Senseix, how did you manage to get banned at GT Central? ;)

JWW

I asked the owner to ban the account in a pm. What made me ask him to do that? I will keep private out of respect for the owner of that forum.

emperor_black said:
Nice post BBN. I think my next investment would be the QSC HPR122i. thanks for your assurance regarding this monitor.

BTW, what style of music do you play? Do you have any youtube videos where we can hear your tone and subsequently the AXEFX's tone?

The tone I go for is a warm modern high gain (Zakk/Dimebag/Nuno blend). To get myself rolling with the Axe, I first used the Brit-Pre Amp because I'm so used to my JMP-1. But I've been creating patches using FAS Modern and Energyball and loving those tones. When I decided to dial in my QSC for gigging, I set up two of them right next to my Recto 4x12 cab. I ran the Axe into the two QSC's and using an A/B pedal, I ran my JMP-1 into my Dual Monobloc 100/100 into the Recto cab. My goal was to try and get the QSC's to sound like my recto cab. I know I'm supposed to go for the 'sound of a mic'd guitar' through the QSC's and that they're not going to really sound like a Recto cab....but I wanted to see how close I could get.
I used Redwirez IR's (some tone recipes I got off the message board - if you want the details, send me a PM).
So I A/B'd back and forth and Eq'd the Axe until it sounded really close to the Recto rig. I was surprised how close it would get. The QSC's can really pound, especially with a pair.
I haven't recorded anything yet, but I plan on throwing a mic in front of my QSC's and the Recto rig, just so I can record and listen back to the differences. I will post something when I get that accomplished.

I will say, although I am very very happy with the tone I got through the QSC HRP, I'm still not in love with that speaker (yet). I want to try the K series (and soon to hit the market KW series) to see if some of the nasal sound is taken out of those boxes. I also want to try the Verve...just need to find one. Just pointing out that even though these QSC's sound great, their may be something even a little better (I just don't know because I haven't tried the other speakers yet). I also own a pair of RCF ART200a's, which sounded decent, but don't even have close to the low end punch of the QSC's. And I own a bunch of older Carvin powered 15" monitors (can remember the model)....they sounded absolutely terrible. They're fine for a cheap vocal monitor, but do not do the Axe justice at all.

My next step is to try the QSC K Series and an Atomic Powered Wedge. I'll report back when I'm able to throw my Axe through those.

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the reply. Right now, I'm very happy using combinations of the stock IR's. If I decide to go the RW route, I'll hit you back for suggestions. :mrgreen:

thanks
Sam

Back
Top Bottom