First gig with the Axe, and it sounded terrible

This is something which happens to a lot of new users of modelers (to me too).
A lot of things happening.

1. You're now listening to an emulated mic'd tone, not 'amp in the room'.
2. You're now listening to a full range tone.
3. You've dialed in your tone at home volume. The Fletcher Munson 'rule' says that at higher volume highs and lows will be emphasized, competing with cymbals and bass, making the guitar disappear in the mix.

You know what's beautiful? It can be dealt with.
I got an Axe FXIII last week..really didnt have a lot of time to mess with it..I'm using it with a Carvin SS Stereo power amp and 2 Marshall 1960B cabinets in stereo...I'm still on the fence with the Axe FXIII, I'm coming from a Kemper that was using the same setup...I guess I have a lot more reading to do IDK...It took me a long while to get the kemper to sound good so i'm gonna give this the benefit of the doubt that its not the unit, its me that is the reason I'm not blown away by it at the moment...I guess I need to mic it and dial it in through headphones and not by sitting in front of the cabinets.

I got an Axe FXIII last week..really didnt have a lot of time to mess with it..I'm using it with a Carvin SS Stereo power amp and 2 Marshall 1960B cabinets in stereo...I'm still on the fence with the Axe FXIII, I'm coming from a Kemper that was using the same setup...I guess I have a lot more reading to do IDK...It took me a long while to get the kemper to sound good so i'm gonna give this the benefit of the doubt that its not the unit, its me that is the reason I'm not blown away by it at the moment...I guess I need to mic it and dial it in through headphones and not by sitting in front of the cabinets.

Sounds simple - but easy one new users miss when using real cabs - turn off global cab modeling....

It takes time to dial things in for live situations. I've been using Fractal
gear for 8 years (Ultra, II, III) and I'm still tweaking. A patch that sounds
awesome at home, even at louder volumes, can turn to shit in a live mix.
The time you spend getting the nuances just right, perfect delay or crunch
just right goes right out the window in some rooms.
I don't do the FRFR cab onstage. Just Out1 to FOH & Out2 to a Matrix
amp to reg Guitar cabs onstage. On many gigs, I'm happy with the onstage
sound, but hate the FOH feed. I've tried lots of cabs, but most sound too
fizzy or dark from Out1. Some nights are magic, others not so much.
Don't get discouraged, it is an awesome unit. Just takes some work to
get it where you want it.

I posted this yesterday

Not only you replied to a 6 year old thread (2013), you also replied to it in the wrong sub forum, Axe FX II, not Axe FX III which you now own. Double fail! :p

As a rule of thumb, any thread you find using forum search should only be read, never EVER replied too, Mr. Thread Necromancer.

I felt the same the first time when i used the axe during live performance. But that's normal. You have to do a terrible gig to know how the machine work and modify after to get the good tone.

Not only you replied to a 6 year old thread (2013), you also replied to it in the wrong sub forum, Axe FX II, not Axe FX III which you now own. Double fail! :p

As a rule of thumb, any thread you find using forum search should only be read, never EVER replied too, Mr. Thread Necromancer.
IDGAF to be honest

Back
Top Bottom