First gig with Mesa TC50 amp in 4CM with Axe-Fx II

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Perfect. Sounded amazing and felt great too. Really cut through the mix nicely. Oddly enough the guys think my stage volume is much improved. Think not using the amp modeling is my perfect solution. Amp is truly amazing and if amp ever dies mid-gig, I have patches saved for FRFR route.

Just using the effects portion of Axe Fx was great.....really great pairing.

Awesome! Glad that the new TC50 is working out and you were able to sell the matrix quickly. I finally got my empty xitone wedges and loaded them with V30s. Used my mesa 2:90 and got to do some setting up this past weekend. Im trying to do the wrong thing but I'm hell bent on making it work. So far I'm on the right path.

yea i recently picked up a runt 20 and am considering going back to 4cm. Though I have an XL and AX8 deciding which one to run will be another choice. Decisions Decisions.

yea i recently picked up a runt 20 and am considering going back to 4cm. Though I have an XL and AX8 deciding which one to run will be another choice. Decisions Decisions.

The MFC101 gives me more options live without having to think as much with the AX8. Plus running all that signal way out and back, multiple times isn't something I want to do on setup or signal wise. Heard the Runt was amazing.....consider a Mesa TC50 too as it is truly an amazing amplifier!

Yea i wouldn't mind keeping the XL for the comfort of knowing I have everything at my disposal still. I'm gonna take my time. It will be full circle for me haha. Started out with 4cm with the ultra. Switched to the II in 2012 and have had numerous power amps. Couldn't resist a good deal on the runt recently and well it's quite pleasing. I will also grab a small loop switcher like the mini effects gizmo to take the axe out of the chain too.

Perfect. Sounded amazing and felt great too. Really cut through the mix nicely. Oddly enough the guys think my stage volume is much improved. Think not using the amp modeling is my perfect solution. Amp is truly amazing and if amp ever dies mid-gig, I have patches saved for FRFR route.

How do you swich channels over the TC? With the foot swich or via midi?

Thanks.
Did you config the TC50 midi presets or over the AX8 to control the channels according to the preset selected?
I'm asking as I'm running the same setup, I got my TC50 a week ago and the idea is 4CM with the AX8 as well.
When I tried to config the TC and save presets, it didn’t work as it should and it looks like the amp always correspond to the AX8 with the last channel memorized so for example if the last channel I set into preset was #3 and then selecting the AX8 preset that should call up channel 1, I get channel 3.
Eventually I used the MIDI tab over AX8 edit to choose the cc# of each channel for every AX8 preset etc. and it works good.
Now I have to finalize the volume on each presets and I'm ready.

Thanks.
Did you config the TC50 midi presets or over the AX8 to control the channels according to the preset selected?
I'm asking as I'm running the same setup, I got my TC50 a week ago and the idea is 4CM with the AX8 as well.
When I tried to config the TC and save presets, it didn’t work as it should and it looks like the amp always correspond to the AX8 with the last channel memorized so for example if the last channel I set into preset was #3 and then selecting the AX8 preset that should call up channel 1, I get channel 3.
Eventually I used the MIDI tab over AX8 edit to choose the cc# of each channel for every AX8 preset etc. and it works good.

I use my Mesa TC50 with the Axe Fx II. I actually didn't have to do a thing except turn Axe Fx II midi to "Omni". Not sure about the AX8, but I'd think it would be similar.

Thanks.

BTW, you still making and selling the extension modules?

use my Mesa TC50 with the Axe Fx II. I actually didn't have to do a thing except turn Axe Fx II midi to "Omni". Not sure about the AX8, but I'd think it would be similar.

Sounds strange, how do you have the desired channel switching setup / select without programming?
For instance, you hit preset 3 on the Axe which you except it to be a clean preset, did it triggered ch1 on the amp?
You need to do some programming to match the amp channels to the Axe preset, for instance - you don’t want a huge reverb + lush chorus + compressor on a tight heavy crunch, isn’t it?

I did some programming for the cc# over the AX8 so I will always have the correct amp channel needed with the preset I select.

BTW, you still making and selling the extension modules?
I’m currently not making the EXT4MFC but they are available if there is enough request.

Thanks.

Sounds strange, how do you have the desired channel switching setup / select without programming?
For instance, you hit preset 3 on the Axe which you except it to be a clean preset, did it triggered ch1 on the amp?
You need to do some programming to match the amp channels to the Axe preset, for instance - you don’t want a huge reverb + lush chorus + compressor on a tight heavy crunch, isn’t it?

I did some programming for the cc# over the AX8 so I will always have the correct amp channel needed with the preset I select.

I’m currently not making the EXT4MFC but they are available if there is enough request.

Thanks.

Set the Axe Fx patch with what you want. Save. Then select the Mesa amp channel, effects loop on, and then if you want solo boost and reverb on or off on the amp....then flick the midi save switch on the back of Mesa. Done. Saved to the preset for both Axe Fx and the Mesa amp.

What was producing your stage volume before?

The TC-50 looks to be pretty sweet. I have a Mark 5:25, but am considering selling it and getting the TC-50.

Stage volume was probably just having too much total EQ frequency in the patch on Axe Fx. With the amp it seems to just naturally "sit in the mix" better. Has frequencies you want without fiddling endlessly. Just my opinion and experience.

Set the Axe Fx patch with what you want. Save. Then select the Mesa amp channel, effects loop on, and then if you want solo boost and reverb on or off on the amp....then flick the midi save switch on the back of Mesa. Done. Saved to the preset for both Axe Fx and the Mesa amp.
Sorry to bring up this old post, but I'm trying to figure out the same thing on my JP2C. it works exactly as you wrote, but do you know if there is a way to change amp channels using scenes instead of presets? thanks

Sorry to bring up this old post, but I'm trying to figure out the same thing on my JP2C. it works exactly as you wrote, but do you know if there is a way to change amp channels using scenes instead of presets? thanks

This, I do not know....above my pay grade! Anyone?

Im sure it can be done.
I programed something similar over my RJM22 (not using MFC) to send the specific cc for channel select etc. with the preset I want over the XL.
The XL "throu midi" is conected o the amp midi so comands go from the RJM thru the XL into the amp.

Looking at the manual you use CC#s 20-25 to control the Clean,Low gain, High gain, FX loop, Reverb and Solo.
It's on page 23 of the TC50 manual.
The JP-2C has more CC#s (20-30). They are on page 29 of the JP-2C manual.

Last edited:

Hi, I’m trying to replicate this setup and am having a hard time getting my Axe Fx II to switch the Mesa’s channels. I noticed that the midi save switch does not light up when I flick it. Are you running a midi cable from MIDI out of the Axe FX to MIDI in on the TC-50? Thanks.

Hi, I’m trying to replicate this setup and am having a hard time getting my Axe Fx II to switch the Mesa’s channels. I noticed that the midi save switch does not light up when I flick it. Are you running a midi cable from MIDI out of the Axe FX to MIDI in on the TC-50? Thanks.
Not using this rig anymore, so cannot check to verify. But that sounds correct in your hook up method. If only using Axe Fx and that amp then just set the midi channel in Axe Fx to "omni".

Back
Top Bottom