First Gig with AX8

LeonC

Inspired
Well, it was a night of firsts. First gig with my new cover band. My first 3-piece band. First gig with this Les Paul. First gig with the AX8. I guess that makes me a gutsy risk taker...or an utter moron, lol.:tonguewink:

But actually, it worked out great! In fact, the three of us agreed that we couldn't have expected it to go any better. Due to space limitations, we actually had to use a SMALLER PA than we use at rehearsals (and my guitar is going through an Atomic CLR for me and the PA for the audience and my bandmates). As a result, I recognized that one preset that I had built didn't work very well for the two songs on which I use it...I'll have to tweak the EQ and possibly the cab block on that preset with the band...but other than that, I had almost no issues...well, I haven't made a pedal board for the AX8 and my two expression pedals yet...and I will need to do that, but otherwise, this rig worked out great.

Yeah man everybody gets a kick out of Victor's hair LOL...I sure as hell could use some of it!

Thanks for the tip on Moke's Rebel Yell. Very cool; I'll have to check it out

Yea, first thing I noticed was that hair. My flowing locks are behind me. Hair today, gone tomorrow.

Glad it went well. Looks like you guys are having fun.

Yea, first thing I noticed was that hair. My flowing locks are behind me. Hair today, gone tomorrow.

Glad it went well. Looks like you guys are having fun.

Thanks! Yeah, it was a blast!

Seemed like a very cool gig and sounded great! Ditto on the drummers hair, homage to Tre cool! :cool:

We were really squeezed into a little cubbyhole area. My back was right up against this shelf. The entrance to the bar was just to my left and the bar tenders kept having to walk in and out right in front of me...got my mic stand banged a few times. So...too small, even for 3-piece...but fun was still had, for sure.

Luckily, they have an actual stage with an actual drum riser, monitors, lights and everything at our next gig; something to look forward too.

Thanks a bunch curious! I appreciate the words of encouragement!

I'm just clipping some snippets together from our second gig, which was a private (Christmas) party yesterday afternoon; also mucho fun! By the end of the gig, we finally got the mix right...unfortunately, it was too dark to film by then...but I'll throw the next clip up here when it's done.

@LeonC Awesome. Very impressed with the wide variety of tunes your band does and they're executed well. I love drummers that can sing. That's like finding a unicorn :) Sounds like you're going to FOH and using the wedge for a monitor. What kind of wedge is that? Cheers.

Yeah, we love Victor, the long-haired unicorn -- hahah! Thanks man.

We've got our complete set list on our website: http://www.thegreenstix.com/#songlist I love it...so much variety. From the 60s through well contemporary rock. Much of this, I've never played before, I had to learn about 30 song from scratch; it's been challenging and a LOT of fun!

Yes, good eyes, I'm going to the FOH through OUT 1 and I'm sending same signal (copy OUT1 to OUT2) to go to an Atomic CLR. And I can't say enough good things about the CLR. If it wasn't for that, good chance I would have dropped the AX8 after a few weeks. I had tried two different types of JBLs, a Powercab and was about to try the Yamaha DXRs when I decided to try the CLR. That speaker made a night and day difference with the sound/feel.

Yeah, we love Victor, the long-haired unicorn -- hahah! Thanks man.

We've got our complete set list on our website: http://www.thegreenstix.com/#songlist I love it...so much variety. From the 60s through well contemporary rock. Much of this, I've never played before, I had to learn about 30 song from scratch; it's been challenging and a LOT of fun!

Yes, good eyes, I'm going to the FOH through OUT 1 and I'm sending same signal (copy OUT1 to OUT2) to go to an Atomic CLR. And I can't say enough good things about the CLR. If it wasn't for that, good chance I would have dropped the AX8 after a few weeks. I had tried two different types of JBLs, a Powercab and was about to try the Yamaha DXRs when I decided to try the CLR. That speaker made a night and day difference with the sound/feel.

Great to hear about the Atomic. I’m seriously considering a CLR. Using a Mission 2x12 FRFR right now and sounds amazing but too damn heavy for club gigs.

My understanding is that the original CLRs were quite heavy too, though they were just 1x12s. Mine is a more recent Neo and it is easily transported. Note that the black covering is very easily chipped. I got a sizable chip on one corner somehow at that 2nd gig, even through I have a Studio Slips clamshell cover for it.

But yeah, that 63lb measurement on the Mission discouraged me from even trying one...so I get that. If you do decide to try the CLR, I doubt if you'll be disappointed in the sounds you get from it, FWIW. But I'm sure you've read plenty of other positive reports about them...

Back
Top Bottom