First Gig with AX8

I could never get used to the protection bar on my FX8 so I sold it. Sounded pretty good though.

I'll chop it off before I sell, but I might have to keep it to just presets in the first 4 and Instant Access for the back, so if I miss the chorus it's not a deal breaker

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in for gigging live with this.

New Instant Access and Preset config on the small screen can be difficult to see and need some getting used to. Sukh where are the kicktags for the AX8 :)

Dave

Lol! I'm staring at them right now, in bits, waiting to be assembled - hopefully this weekend. If only I had an AX8 to put them on!

Lol! I'm staring at them right now, in bits, waiting to be assembled - hopefully this weekend. If only I had an AX8 to put them on!

I'd think you'd be one of the first to get one of these being a fractal VIP. Let me know when the waitlist opens for kicktags for the AX8.

I'd think you'd be one of the first to get one of these being a fractal VIP. Let me know when the waitlist opens for kicktags for the AX8.

Haha! No man, certainly no VIP here... I'm just a fan who happens to make a few labels in my spare time. I have to take my own bins out and everything :)

Now that this thread bubbled up to the top. I just wanted to update my experience with the AX8. I had another gig. This time I used 1-5 for presets and 6-8 for instant access. This kept me from dealing with the protection bar. I had an acoustic preset, the Shure GLDX-16 and tweaked my preset volumes. I also had a chance to play it quite a lot and become used to the small screen for switch indication.

This gig once again was one single walk to the stage and easy set up. The Shure GLDX was perfect for my application and worth the extra money. With my presets away from the bar set to where I wanted them, I felt very free on stage. We had a great mix and the AX8 sounded great through my Atomic Neo. I was really excited that my presets sounded exactly the same as the AXE FX II ones I had and that the strategic cutting of presets to accommodate less CPU made functionality loss barely noticeable.

Just like any piece of equipment, it takes some practice getting used to playing live, but after my last gig (having a sound like my old AXE FX II set up with less equipment to carry) I'm definitely very pleased with my purchase.

I'll put my pictures of my setup in the other thread.

Dave

Now that this thread bubbled up to the top. I just wanted to update my experience with the AX8. I had another gig. This time I used 1-5 for presets and 6-8 for instant access. This kept me from dealing with the protection bar. I had an acoustic preset, the Shure GLDX-16 and tweaked my preset volumes. I also had a chance to play it quite a lot and become used to the small screen for switch indication.

This gig once again was one single walk to the stage and easy set up. The Shure GLDX was perfect for my application and worth the extra money. With my presets away from the bar set to where I wanted them, I felt very free on stage. We had a great mix and the AX8 sounded great through my Atomic Neo. I was really excited that my presets sounded exactly the same as the AXE FX II ones I had and that the strategic cutting of presets to accommodate less CPU made functionality loss barely noticeable.

Just like any piece of equipment, it takes some practice getting used to playing live, but after my last gig (having a sound like my old AXE FX II set up with less equipment to carry) I'm definitely very pleased with my purchase.

I'll put my pictures of my setup in the other thread.

Dave
Let's try this again, since my last post was quite incorrect :D

So, with 1-5 as presets.. I assume then 6-8 can be any FX block on/off WITHIN
chosen preset correct?
And, could I then have say at preset one have any of 6-8 also have a X/Y state,
or is that function only for the actual preset assigned to 1?

And, could you have it so that when on preset 1, when I press any of 6-8 I could also send a Midi
PC to change functions on my amp (boost, pregain etc) at the same time as adding various FX?

chosen preset correct?

And, could you have it so that when on preset 1, when I press any of 6-8 I could also send a Midi
PC to change functions on my amp (boost, pregain etc) at the same time as adding various FX?

This is all correct.

PC messages are sent when scenes are changed. And when you change presets, you are changing to Scene 1 of that preset. So the PC message you put in the Scene 1 slot will be sent.
-
Austin

chosen preset correct?

I can answer the first part, yes you could use the on/off for blocks specific to that preset for 6-8. I like to keep some of the same fx I use in each preset at the same button (i.e. 8 would be chorus on every preset). I'm pretty sure X/Y you can get just by holding down one of those 6-8 buttons a little longer.

As for Midi, I can't comment on that. Hopefully somebody else can

but I guess, you cannot send a midi PC with an FX on/off IA button (6-8)?
I you assign one of the two midi blocks to the footswitch, you could then use the footswitch to send two different PC messages depending on the footswitch state.

I you assign one of the two midi blocks to the footswitch, you could then use the footswitch to send two different PC messages depending on the footswitch state.

No midi blocks on the AX8. And unlike the FX8, ccene changes can only send PC messages, not CC as well. Maybe in the next AX8 firmware?
-
Austin

Thanks for all the replies!
I understand it as follows..
I can NOT use more than ONE midi block per preset,
so if I'm preset 1, I can NOT use the switches 6-8
to BOTH toggle FX on/off, AND send new midi PC
to the amp to activate Boost, Pregain etc.

With the FX8 however, I could, correct?
Also, I could do this with a regular AXE FXII
and external midi-switcher correct?

The AX8 is THE best gig-ready gear, ever, IMO. For those who complain that two amp blocks can't be run on it in tandem as one can with the rackmount AxeFX II series, there's a simpe solution if that's important at a gig, as in a wet/dry application. Run a second AX8. Trust me when I say that, not only is that overkill, it's superfluous because the oldschool reason to run two amp separates wet & dry is to blend in fx without sapping amp tone OR to blend two different amp tones. With the AX8 all amp tone blending and fx blending gets performed purely without ambient noise or EMI in software and cleanly DAC'ed as a pristine output to any combination of the mixing board, IEM's, FRFR cabs and/or floor monitors, hell, even guitar cabs...or a tube amp, if so desired. The bottom line is that, as good as any rackmount AxeFX is, there's no substitute for carrying an AX8 and cables in a laptop-bag and your guitar to a gig and taking two minutes to setup/takedown, sounding as good, unique and clean as you ever have, and saving both, your back muscles for tonight's hayromp and the spare seat in your car for her instead of all the stage-gear you used to schlep.

The AX8 is THE best gig-ready gear, ever, IMO. For those who complain that two amp blocks can't be run on it in tandem as one can with the rackmount AxeFX II series, there's a simpe solution if that's important at a gig, as in a wet/dry application. Run a second AX8. Trust me when I say that, not only is that overkill, it's superfluous because the oldschool reason to run two amp separates wet & dry is to blend in fx without sapping amp tone OR to blend two different amp tones. With the AX8 all amp tone blending and fx blending gets performed purely without ambient noise or EMI in software and cleanly DAC'ed as a pristine output to any combination of the mixing board, IEM's, FRFR cabs and/or floor monitors, hell, even guitar cabs...or a tube amp, if so desired. The bottom line is that, as good as any rackmount AxeFX is, there's no substitute for carrying an AX8 and cables in a laptop-bag and your guitar to a gig and taking two minutes to setup/takedown, sounding as good, unique and clean as you ever have, and saving both, your back muscles for tonight's hayromp and the spare seat in your car for her instead of all the stage-gear you used to schlep.

Amen! Totally agree. This thing is amazing. I get all my tones and all the effects I could ever need. Set up is ridiculously simple. The only downside is that since my set up/break down is so fast the drummer wants me to help him with the kit.

Back
Top Bottom