First Gig with AX8

Might be unique to my sound guy, but I send him a 12 o'clock signal, just as I did with the AXE FX II, and he said this one was much hotter, so I'm keeping at 9 o'clock for him (not a big deal)

The max. output level is the same as the Axe-Fx II's: 20 dBu.
Unless you've changed the default setting in I/O > Levels.

Of course the actual output level depends on the position of the hardware Output knob, the Global EQ's gain setting, and preset parameters values, such Amp Level, settings in the Output block etc.

Do you keep a replacement rechargeable battery on hand just in case? Is the battery proprietary?
The GLX-D battery is proprietary; I keep a spare in my gig bag, but I've never had to use it. Still, I will keep the backup, because things do go wrong (such as forgetting to recharge my primary). I'm so impressed with the Shure wireless; both transmitter and receiver are solid, small enough to place anywhere, great tuner/mute function, outstanding sound with no RF issues. I've used Samson, Beyer, multiple Line6 in the past, and the GLX-D is the best for me.

The GLX-D battery is proprietary; I keep a spare in my gig bag, but I've never had to use it. Still, I will keep the backup, because things do go wrong (such as forgetting to recharge my primary). I'm so impressed with the Shure wireless; both transmitter and receiver are solid, small enough to place anywhere, great tuner/mute function, outstanding sound with no RF issues. I've used Samson, Beyer, multiple Line6 in the past, and the GLX-D is the best for me.
Yeah they really hit it out of the park for sure. I have been very pleased with the GLXD16 unit. I also have the QLXD14 as well for my Ax-fx XL rig. That also is a killer Wireless at almost double the cost. I thought that having the rechargeable would be an issue. but hindsight, there is no complaint about a 16 hour battery charge. I just mounted my charger on the pedal board so I can charge it between sets, or have a spare charging when I do a 17 hour straight through Gig...JK.

IMG_4117.JPG

Why what is the issue with processing power? I been reading things about processing power (or lack thereof) in the AX8, could you elaborate?

It's not as powerful as the AFX2.

AX8 has two dual-core 450 MHz ADSP-21469s and two microcontrollers. One is dedicated to amp modeling, the other to effects and housekeeping.

Axe-Fx 2 has two 600 MHz TigerSHARC processors

"The Axe-Fx II can run multiple instances of amps, cabs and most effects. The AX-8 cannot. The processors used in the AX-8 are not nearly as powerful as the processors used in the Axe-Fx II. They are also significantly less expensive."

So what happens when a preset is hitting max processing power?

When you do reach the max, the last block you put in disappears and leaves a break between blocks. So you need to make sacrifices in order to keep it under 100%. You need to chose what you are willing to cut back on. There was a thread in the forum describing the resource intensive blocks out there

So what happens when a preset is hitting max processing power?
Page 35 in the manual.

PRESET CPU LIMITS

Each block you place in a preset contributes to the total CPU load. You can check the current load at any time by pressing SETUP, opening the UTILITY menu (#3), and switching to the STATUS page. A thermometer-like meter on the right side of the screen shows CPU % usage (and provides a speci c numeric readout above). Load is also displayed in the upper right corner of AX8-Edit.

As the load increases, certain functions can become slower, but priority is given to the audio quality whenever possible. There are safeguards to prevent you from pushing the AX8 too far. First, you are stopped from inserting any block which might cause an overload by the message “INSUFFICIENT CPU”. The AX8 assumes that a block will be used to its limits when making this determination.

If you are prevented from inserting an e ect, you can make changes to reduce the current CPU load and try again. You might remove an e ect that is less important. Adjusting certain parameters can also help. Here are a few of the common block parameters whose settings have a measurable e ect on CPU usage:

ƒ Amp: OUTPUT COMP (Set to "0.00" for the least CPU usage).
ƒ Cab: MODE, stereo uses more CPU.
ƒ Reverb: QUALITY and ECHO DENSITY (Lower = less CPU). Spring type uses the least CPU. ƒ Compressor: Set TYPE to one of the "PEDAL" options to use less CPU.
ƒ Phaser: STAGES (Lower = less CPU).
ƒ Filter: ORDER and Q (Lower = less CPU).
ƒ Multi-Delay: TYPE (Di erent types have di erent requirements).
ƒ Modi ers also a ect CPU usage.

AUTOMATIC BLOCK DISABLING

As a second safeguard, the AX8 may disable one or more blocks if load gets too high due to changes after a block has been inserted. Changing Reverb to HIGH QUALITY, for example, increases CPU utilization. If the preset can’t handle this, you will see an error message.

When this happens, you’ll need to take steps to get
back below the limit. The most likely solution will be
to change back whatever setting you had just made, but it is also possible to remove or edit other blocks to address the issue. Disabled blocks blink on the Footswitch Page and grid, and show DISABLED (upper left) in the Edit Menu. Be warned that "living on the edge" is not recommended. The AX8 uses slightly more CPU when it is processing audio, so give yourself a margin to prevent unwanted block bypass at inopportune moments. A recommended safe target is about 80%.

CPU & USB

The AX8 dedicates a small percentage of CPU resources to USB processing. Large presets may run ne while USB is disconnected, but a USB connection may push them over the limit. In this case, try to reduce CPU load or avoid using these presets while USB is connected.

Do you keep a replacement rechargeable battery on hand just in case? Is the battery proprietary?

The Shure rechargeable battery is a unqiue battery made especially for the unit. It charges by removing the battery from the transmitter and plugging it straight into a charging slot built into the receiver.

I spent about 2 and a half years with the Line6 Relay G50....after two failed transmitters and other random issues, I switched to the Shure at the end of 2014. I've had a year (100+ gigs) of spotless, carefree wireless performance with this unit. Highly recommended.

I have a spare. I basically use the batteries until dead and just swap. Although I probably didn't even need to get a spare. To me a cable is a great backup and spare battery :)

Having a spare battery means thinking about swapping the battery to charge it or buying a charger which is another $30-40 - no matter what I've gotta have a cord backup so I haven't felt the need for a spare.

Back
Top Bottom