First gig this weekend with the III. Must prepare!

JTI

Power User
Super excited for the gig this weekend. I have only one main concern that I can't test and thought maybe someone here could contribute their 2¢ worth.

My rig:
Guitar signal into input 1. Guitar synth into input 3. Everything set to go to output 1 and working fine through my CLR. Will 1/4" output 1 to my CLR and XLR output 1 to FOH work as it should? Or should I enable the Output 2 block on my presets to allow independent level control to FOH?

I might just use the XLR out from my CLR instead to send to FOH this first time to keep it simple.

Thanks a lot guys! I have a couple of powered monitors at home but no XLR cables for whatever reason :(

An AES/EBU cable is an XLR cable with a higher price tag.
Is that the only difference? :D Will it work as an XLR cable? I tried one with another piece of gear and my Alesis powered speaker a while back but it didn't work. Super noisy if I recall but no actual output of my guitar signal chain.

Is that the only difference? :D Will it work as an XLR cable? I tried one with another piece of gear and my Alesis powered speaker a while back but it didn't work. Super noisy if I recall but no actual output of my guitar signal chain.
An XLR AES/EBU cable is really not much different than an XLR microphone cable. Both use a twisted pair of conductors with an overall shield. The "digital" version is 110 ohms whereas the mic cable has no specified impedance.

In short you can almost always use an AES/EBU cable for analog audio while the converse may lead to problems (although I use regular ol' mic cables for AES all the time and have never had a problem).

set output to like 10 o'clock and dont touch it

Conventional wisdom is you’ll get the best sound out of the Axe D/A with the volume set fairly high.

I’ve been running Out 1 at full volume (with patch volumes calibrated properly this will not clip), into a passive DI box, to house. This gives good isolation from ground hum, and sends a friendly mic-level signal to the house.

In theory, you can leave out the DI box and run line level to house, but in my experience that’s asking for trouble. FOH is accustomed to a microphone on an amp, and at some point they’ll likely forget you’re sending such a hot signal (especially since the Axe *sounds* like a microphone), and everyone gets blasted :)

You can also accomplish the mic-level send by turning down the Axe output, but I think you’ll find you give up a little tone that way. Dropping the volume on the Axe a little is inaudible, but setting the output very low is a D/A compromise.

Have fun!

I’ve had good luck at 10 o’clock, worked since my ultra fine. I’ve taken the cord off a mic, handed the mic back to the guy and plugged in many times. Whatever works for you.

No doubt! And I think we're both going for the same thing here: giving the FOH a typical mic'd cabinet level.

When I compared the tone of the III with output set low vs. full scale into a nice DI box (Radial JDI in my case), I preferred the DI. But difference is subtle, and no disrespect to your method either :)

You can set Output 2 to be a copy of Output 1 in the Setup menu. Then you have independent volume control between FOH and monitors.

Just saved me a lot of time...for some reason I was thinking I had to add an Out 2 block at the end of every preset to send sig to my onstage monitor (connected to Out 2). Copying out 1 is way easier.....thank you!

And I can still control Out 2 level to my monitor. Love it.

Just saved me a lot of time...for some reason I was thinking I had to add an Out 2 block at the end of every preset to send sig to my onstage monitor (connected to Out 2). Copying out 1 is way easier.....thank you!

And I can still control Out 2 level to my monitor. Love it.
this works when you're sending a full-range signal to both stage and front of house. it has to be a bit different if you're sending to a real guitar amp on stage, as you typically don't want Cab Sims in there. then you need to adjust every preset.

keep all sims on to all outs, and you can copy all you want.

Reactions: JTI
I'm using my Axe III for the first time on sat at a gig. Slightly different setup for me as I run out 1 to FOH and then out 2 is going to my Matrix power amp and I'm using a Boogie 1x12 to monitor.

Rehearsal last night sounded really good, I had to crank out 2 about half way to be heard over my drummer and bass player it did sound good though and cut through extremely well. I have all my amp models levelled to the VU meters so it all should be loud enough.

Is that pretty normal to have the output at half way on the axe? My matrix is set about 1 o'clock on it's output as well.

I'm using my Axe III for the first time on sat at a gig. Slightly different setup for me as I run out 1 to FOH and then out 2 is going to my Matrix power amp and I'm using a Boogie 1x12 to monitor.

Rehearsal last night sounded really good, I had to crank out 2 about half way to be heard over my drummer and bass player it did sound good though and cut through extremely well. I have all my amp models levelled to the VU meters so it all should be loud enough.

Is that pretty normal to have the output at half way on the axe? My matrix is set about 1 o'clock on it's output as well.
Half way compared to what? 1/2 way seems normal.

Half way compared to what? 1/2 way seems normal.

Just in general really. Is that where most of you set your output level when you go out and gig? It's only a 1x12 I'm using I suppose so it will need a bit more vol. I'll still have out 1 going to FOH and coming through the monitors so that will help no doubt. I didn't try that at rehearsal last night but I will on the gig.

Back
Top Bottom