First Gig FM3 into Katana WOW

Any misrepresentation was unintentional. The meaning of your statement wasn’t clear.

Inanimate objects can’t be blamed for how we use them, and, though it’s more of an experience thing that teaches people to not make wild swings in their overall sound, the same problem exists with any cabinet and modeler, or a synthesizer. If the gear is flexible enough to imitate several different types of amps and cabs or other instruments, it’s possible to misuse it, and generally the band, or the sound person, or a friend will quickly point out the problem.

The same logic used about the FRFR applies to the modeler or a synthesizer, but do we want to recommend not using them, or using something to act as training wheels? I doubt it.
Thanks. You can not agree with me, and are entirely welcome to - but it's pretty straight ahead at this point.
You want people to believe getting IR right for live is no harder than anything else, or so it seems. I think this is bad advice as IR is what swamps most newbies, like the OP. Your "logic" analogies have no purpose. We aren't talking about synths to synth players; The OP was a classic amp guy.
My advice is to learn the platform but wait on trying IR for live for newbies. When you've mastered the basics of Fractal platform and how to tweak amps and FX to your liking, then go to the IR rabbit hole. Not everything all at once. That is the path of frustration. I stand by that.

I'm out. Be well.

I have a fryette power station which I’ve tried into my 2x12 cabinet and it sounds great but not enough to make me carry all this stuff.

I agree with running the FM3 into a good solid state amp, rather than an FRFR. I use a Quilter Tone Block 202, which has an FRFR cab setting. That allows me to run amp and cab modelling ON with FM3 effects, while keeping the Quilter EQ and other controls functioning. Works really well IMO. I tried FRFRs live and found them limiting and not as reliable. My 2 cents.
Ditto.

OMG9 into TB202 (FRFR mode) in a BlockDock 12HD and also into PA, great tones! Very happy with it. Been using same rig for subsequent gigs as well. Great solution.
1664834209610.jpeg

I have a fryette power station which I’ve tried into my 2x12 cabinet and it sounds great but not enough to make me carry all this stuff.
I have a PS-100, it sounds great and I used it a few times into 1x12s and 2x12s but has a noticeable hum at higher volumes, Hu is not noticeable when playing but is obvious between tunes. The TB202/BD2HD is dead quiet. And gets loud as heck if needed.

I hooked up a Behringer B212XL pa speaker with the power station power amp and tried it FRFR - I could see sitting in the room where it can sound good - like a big stereo system but out on the gig I would not like this sound at all. I’m just a total newbie with this stuff so just IMHO. I really like the fm3 into power amp guitar cabinet sound best that’s what I have been using and hearing for the past 45 years so makes sense. The fractal is awesome and I have had the quad cortex - kemper and Hx stomp- old man happy

Last edited:
IMO it's a case of the right tool for the right venue. I have done many gigs with a modeler into a FRFR and it works great when you have a full PA and other folks are monitoring through the system. But in a venue where it's just mics through the PA and what you hear on stage is what you get I think a modeler through the right amp/powered cab can be an excellent solution. I personally use my FM3 through either two DXR-10s or a Line 6 Catalyst 100. When I know the venue has a good PA setup and good monitoring I just bring the unit and run it through the system. Be happy, use what works for you. :)

Totally. Live, FRFR is about the PA as much as what you can do with it. If you play better places, and have a solid soundman at the board it can be a joy, the best of all worlds!

To me, its just that the bar to get that is higher than cab and power amp for a newbie. (I only record with IR/FRFR, the control and repeatability across sessions is something I can never live without now that I've had it.) In my early days I found low end resonance more problematic with FRFR too. I have to get my speakers off the floor to not risk flub at gig volumes. That guitar cabs are on wheels made this a non problem by default. Its all the little things you learn along the way, like that.
FRFR is totally doable and has many rewards - but its a reset to zero, not a quick change, be ready to do some work. Ask friends for tips too!

Last edited:
I just play small little bars - no micing or FOH stuff - have always used tube heads and combos and pedals. Always fighting the volume and struggling to get comfortable at the gig with my sound. Last night stayed on the deluxe reverb all night - the FM3 was able to go from super clean to classic rock (KISS Foghat Zepplin Cure Beatles CCR ) so good - The Katana sounds fantastic and with the volume control on there went 50 watts (master on 11 o'clock) and then switched to 100 as the night got going - just so easy. My effects were so good and made it so easy to play. All band members were blown away. This shits real LOL - Thanks to the creator of this stuff Thank you
So IMHO FM3 into Katana 1x12 power amp in, is a great budget option. Ive been gigging for 30 years with all types of vintage and modern gear, costing thousands of dollars - I cant imagine a FRFR giving me better results but I am curious - never can leave it alone LOL Shout out to all you guys helping me out with my questions thanks :)
I wish I would've had this SIMPLE amp solution when I had my FM3. Fm3 into Katana and done? Cool.

Fractal has dropped the ball not making a SIMPLE CAB for their Products.

I think?
Why would they need to if almost any FRFR or guitar cabinet will work with the proper setup? I suppose a "Fractal Cab" may be cool, but I don't think it is a necessity in this market. Their modelers offer something that no one else has done. I would be extremely impressed if they could do the same with a cab - I think it would be a much more difficult task though given how varied peoples' taste are when it comes to live or studio sound.

My live rig is FM3 into a CLR...I also have a Katana 100 which I have used at rehearsals with the FM3.
A high quality FRFR (CLR) sounds better than a Katana. It's that simple.
The Katana sounds OK, but everytime I use it I'm reminded of how much better the CLR sounds.View attachment 109261
What all do you have plugged in? It looks like 2 expression pedals and a couple of dual switches. I didn't think the Fm3 could handle all that

Define “decent”.

It makes no sense to me to buy a cheap modeling combo amp, with a cheap speaker and cabinet, then buy a much better modeler and plug it into the power amp return running the modeler through that same cheap speaker and cabinet and ignoring that the main reason to have the amp (the Katana’s modeler, its “preamp”) is not being used.

A better solution would be to find a small powered PA cabinet, maybe with a 10”, FRFR or not, that costs about the same amount. The money spent will go directly to the parts that are necessary and nothing is wasted, and the parts are designed to work together to do what the modeler does, create sound accurately.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c134--10...6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyIkMzAwIHRvICQ1MDAiXX19
Define Decent?
OK, Define "Cheap"?
Cheap or when not trying to belittle a product some might say "inexpensive", does NOT MEAN BAD. Sorry, that is just BS.
My Timex watch I guess is "inexpensive or cheap compared to a Rolex. But 20 minutes after 10 is 20 minutes after 10 on my timex, same as it is on the rolex.

I have the Katana 50 mkII. My FM3 and FM9 both sound fine going thru the modeler input of the Katana.
Does it sound as good as my DXR10's, no, but is the difference drastic, as in Cheap, uh no.

Jack Pearson, great guitar player, very under rated, uses loves and plays many squire Strats-UN MODDEDS..... So? Guess he gets a cheap terrible sound according to you.

I'm often a bit discouraged here seeing the words "sounds good", "sounds fine"... as the only criteria seemly needed wrt evaluating an Fr solution's quality. Imo, it's not that subjective as I think a key measurable (and non-optional) baseline factor of any FR is that it translates widely varied tones without added eq. Its status between bad and great largely depends 1st on that key factor. Though I'm happy to hear others' are happy hearing good things, I don't really know what an unqualified "sounds great to me" opinion possibly adds in terms of concrete info on whether or not a given Fr solution is good or bad wrt to the Fr function part of it. Given the quality of Axfx amp models, if the "translation" aspect of a given Fr solution is not at least "very good", then some of the Axfx investment seems wasted unless one only uses a limited scope of amp types that happen to work with that Fr solution.

Last edited:
Jack Pearson, great guitar player, very under rated, uses loves and plays many squire Strats-UN MODDEDS..... So? Guess he gets a cheap terrible sound according to you.
Pearson uses a hand-picked Squire, often found after playing through a large number of them when he’s out looking, so he didn’t just grab the first one off the wall, he found a very unique, special, one; it was inexpensive compared to others in Fender’s line up, but considering the time and effort he put into finding that rare one it’s no longer “cheap” and he consistently acknowledges that the ones he plays are not the average. He also owns and plays other guitars beside the Squires, such as some G&Ls, a Gibson SG and a 339, among others, but people point out the Squires because it’s unique to him. But a rare guitar is a lot different than a commodity amp. Pearson’s amp is also not in the class as the Katana, it’s a VVT-JP and is a custom-built boutique amp made to his specs and the small one goes for $2599. That’s not a cheap amp but it’s a part of his signature sound.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that if he were running a digital system, he wouldn’t be running it into the back end of a Katana unless he had no other choice.

Back
Top Bottom