FM3 First FM3 video... 800-year-old-music

Poparad

Power User
So I've really been digging the FM3 and happened to record a video this weekend. Not what I would've expected to be my first FM3 video, but it was fun to record. I'm reading Richard Taruskin's "Oxford History of Music" this summer and I stumbled across this French piece from the late 1300s that has some really bizarre harmony in it (especially in the second half). It predates our major/minor key system, but was kind of on the tail end of the medieval modal system and is really pushing the limits with chromatic notes left and right. Originally for three low male voices, I performed it on an 8-string Kiesel Zeus with a Deluxe Reverb patch on the FM3. The title is "Fumeux fume," which translates to "Smokey Smoke." The lyrics are basically the 1300's version of Afroman's "Because I Got High."

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing it

The lyrics are also intriguing. I am wondering what they were smoking in these ages

Fumeux fume par fumée Fumeuse spéculation. Qu'entre fumet sa pensée Fumeux fume par fumée. Car fumer moult lui agrée Tant qu'il ait son entention. Fumeux fume par fumée Fumeuse spéculation.

Translation:
A smoker smolders smokily
In smoky speculation.
Thus he steeps his thoughts in smoke.
A smoker smolders smokily.
For it suits him well to smoke
Until he gets his way.
A smoker smolders smokily
In smoky speculation.

I knocked out another video this weekend, this time about 75 years later with a movement from a Guillaume Du Fay mass. It's originally written for two voices with instructions for a third voice to sing the melody a 4th lower, so I set the pitch shifter block to double that part -5 half steps. I used the Bogner patch that @orion32773 posted recently, with the @York Audio cabs from his video. I used the "Lead" scene (scene 5).

Bogner patch thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ck-25-discount-and-free-bogner-preset.163347/

Back
Top Bottom