First Fly Date w/AxFXII

rnjscooter

Power User
First, I wanna say I have been an Axe FXII owner now for 3 years, and LVE it. I do local gigs constantly and have had nothing but the best experience.

So now I've gotten on w/ a national act and did my first fly date, with more coming. My first show, perfect, everything is great, but I need some help on a few things.

First and foremost, guaranteed I will always be showing up to a backline of Marshall cabs, so I can't run cab sims, something I've never done anyway. I use a Matrix GT1000FX, and mic'd in stereo, and the house ran floor monitors. The mix was good, but it was obvious to me that I may need to buy an in ear system, running just my AxeFXII so I can REALLY hear what I am playing, cuz if I can't, I suck, plain and simple. I know there have been some threads but I can't locate, of folks who run output 1 with cab block bypassed for running into a backline, and output 2 with the cab block inline sent to my in ears and/or the front of house, so the tone is correct. or maybe its output 1 cabs inline and output 2 cab bypassed, I don't remember. I saw someone do it in axe edit where the cab was after something that allowed the output to not see the cab in the mix.

Make sense?

Thats enough for now, I will ask my other Qs later. Thanks!

This is how I do it:
Output 1, is with cab sim, goes to PA.
Output 2, without cab sim, goes to GT1000FX and a cab.

Best of both worlds.

Section 3.4.7 Direct to FOH plus Real Amps on Stage of the manual. Pictures and everything. ;)

ok, so it shows it, but because of of the drugs I did in the 80's I don't get it, hmmmm

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.33.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.33.05 AM.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 28
This is what I have done and it works well with whoever is running monitors or the stage.
Axe II main outs to Shure P4m.
P4m split out to FOH.
Monitor line in to P4m.
P4m outs to my personal Shure psm's.
That way no matter what, I have control of my guitar in my ears. I have to rely on the monitor tech for the rest of the feed but i always know I am going to hear my guitar.

and it works great for programming. I can then tell the FOH tech to set it flat, adjust the gain, and make small adjustments for the room.

Sweet, thx for that delap, still trying to understand the diagram on how to split the chain so the Axe knows what to send where to send what?

Just put the cab block last in the chain and then the fx loop block parallel to it. (Make sure the fx loop block does not connect to output). This way both signals get everything except out 2 doesn't get cab sims.

Sweet, thx for that delap, still trying to understand the diagram on how to split the chain so the Axe knows what to send where to send what?
the FX loop block ALWAYS routes to OUTPUT 2, and the diagram you posted is too complex for your needs IMO, you want something like thisScreen Shot 2017-09-18 at 8.54.25 AM.png

Ok, so I've been reading, and if I recall, I experimented w this before. If you loop just before the cab block, and put your affects post cab, you lose your effects in your in ears. If you put your effects pre loop, then the loop and the cab last, I seem to remember it dramatically changed the tone of the cab. I remember not liking it. Am I making sense on this?

bradlake, that was WAY interesting. I've never thought about duping all my post amp effects. I also never thought about the SAG, hmmm. my next fly date is in 3 weeks. Guess I better get on this!

Ok, so I've been reading, and if I recall, I experimented w this before. If you loop just before the cab block, and put your affects post cab, you lose your effects in your in ears. If you put your effects pre loop, then the loop and the cab last, I seem to remember it dramatically changed the tone of the cab. I remember not liking it. Am I making sense on this?

Cab last makes no difference to my ears. That's how I do it.

Ok Q2 coming. Still in my never ending quest to shed weight, I am thinking of selling my Mission SP-1L. I used it for volume and wah. They have an AERO that is half the weight now, so they say. My mentor had really light spring loaded pedals, but he died in January so I really can't ask him now what they were.

So, this is going to sound strange, but has anyone used a spring loaded SP-1? For instance having it alway in wah mode as soon as its touched, but stepping on the switch puts it in volume pedal mode? Maybe I should just do no switch and use my volume knob for swells LOL

Ok Q2 coming. Still in my never ending quest to shed weight, I am thinking of selling my Mission SP-1L. I used it for volume and wah. They have an AERO that is half the weight now, so they say. My mentor had really light spring loaded pedals, but he died in January so I really can't ask him now what they were.

So, this is going to sound strange, but has anyone used a spring loaded SP-1? For instance having it alway in wah mode as soon as its touched, but stepping on the switch puts it in volume pedal mode? Maybe I should just do no switch and use my volume knob for swells LOL

http://shop.fractalaudio.com/EV_2_Compact_Expression_Volume_Pedal_p/fas-032.htm

Back
Top Bottom