First day with my Axe FX II + GT800FX + Mesa Stilleto 4x12 cab...

So finally I hooked up my Axe Fx II into my roadcase next to my GT800FX power amp into my Mesa Stiletto traditional slant 4x12 cab and I must say at first it didn't sound right because I hadn't checked my Global settings and turned off the 2 first sims in the menu. I forget but one of 'em was the cab sim. This made a huge difference and everything opened up perfectly.

I spent 4 hours jamming on every single preset this beast had to offer and I am truly amazed at it's sound quality! My mind was blown and I was in jam heaven.

There were only 2 things I experienced that was a bit disappointing or frustrating right off the bat...

1) The first was that when going through the preset list, my output volume would be fine for most of the presets, but then I'd come across a few that just was so goddamn loud I thought I was going to blow the speakers out of the box!

Why can't all the presets be generally equalized so my ears won't bleed when I come across a super loud preset? Do I have to manually change all those myself or will FAS fix those eventually?

2) The other issue I had was with the Value knob. When turning it clockwise or counterclockwise, the wheel is so sensitive that at times it would totally skip a preset and jump 2 up from my last position. Then I'd turn the knob back and it would skip again, so I'd spend a few more seconds trying to find the next preset I was just at. I would expect the Value knob, because of the "clicky" feel it has, should move up or down one preset per "click."

The workaround obviously is using the Bank buttons only, but it's not as comfortable as turning the knob, and I feel the knob should work just as well as the buttons. I examined the Value knob a bit more closely and I found that even with the slightest pressure turning it clockwise it would go up 1 preset even before I "clicked" it in that direction. If it's going to be THAT sensitive, why bother putting the "click" grooves in there and just make it a tighter tensioned smooth wheel?

All in all, it was a brain melting experience and I'm totally justified spending $4000 on a new complete rig, but these were a couple of issues that dampened my overall great experience. Thanks, FAS, for this amazing product!

The levels are all over the place because you turned off the power amp sims. Turn them back on. Only the cab sims should be off.

Ah, great! No wonder! There should be a quick start guide for noobs for popular or frequent setups. I hope I didn't damage the cab...

Thanks for the reply!

congratulations! I'm also have mesa 4x12 (but recto) and waiting for afx2 + matrix. i hope this will be incredible things ! :)

Right on! You won't be disappointed!

Right now, I'm running mono (Left channel out) and running the Matrix parallel A+B into Mesa 8 ohm IN.

Since MESA cab's run stereo (split 4 ohm IN), I purchased 2 Mogami 3 ft XLR's to connect the L + R Channel outs to the Matrix running in Stereo, then some 3 ft SP1000's into the stereo in's on the MESA. I don't want to connect two cabs just yet haha.

The levels are all over the place because you turned off the power amp sims. Turn them back on. Only the cab sims should be off.
At first I turned both off, but when I turned the power amp sims back on it sounded much better and this was with a Randall RT2/50 tube power amp.

Back
Top Bottom