First Day With AFX3 Tomorrow...

CudBucket

Inspired
I owned a Standard and an Ultra years ago. But tomorrow I will receive my Axe FX III. I'll be using it through my JBL 305 monitors but I have amps, power amps and cabs too. What's the first thing I should do? Firmware update? Run through the presets? Read the manual? Any tips? In other words, I have been "away" from modelers, etc. for years now and have no idea what to expect.

Thanks!
Dave

Congrats. I would update to either 10.02 or the 11 beta to start. Just start going through presets and get a feel for it. Factory presets are way better that the Ultra or even the 2 for that matter. You are in for a treat.

You pretty much nailed it!

1. Software (Firmware update, download Axe-Edit, USB Driver if using PC...)
2. Connect guitar and monitoring
3. Play with factory presets
4. When you get done with that (about 76 hours later), set up a blank preset with your favorite amp and cab, and maybe basic room reverb, and tweak the amp and cab settings to your heart’s content, to get a better idea of what everything does.
5. Add FX
6. Rinse and repeat

What all the guys said above.
And - Once you've had a ball for a few days with the included presets, get yourself Austinbuddy's presets - Will save a lot of screwing around!
Welcome! :)
Pauly

You pretty much nailed it!

1. Software (Firmware update, download Axe-Edit, USB Driver if using PC...)
2. Connect guitar and monitoring
3. Play with factory presets
4. When you get done with that (about 76 hours later), set up a blank preset with your favorite amp and cab, and maybe basic room reverb, and tweak the amp and cab settings to your heart’s content, to get a better idea of what everything does.
5. Add FX
6. Rinse and repeat
Step 2a: do a full backup with Fractalbot.

Lol. Sorry gents. Yes. it's here. I just gave it a spin with headphones but I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to use it. I'd like to go into my iMac and out to my JBL monitors. I have a Saffire interface connected via FireWire. I guess I have to go from the SPDIF out of the AF3 into the SPDIF in of the Saffire correct? I want to leave my monitors being fed by the Saffire since it's a family computer and don't want the kids having to turn on the AF3 so they can watch YT vids.

Thanks!
Dave

Lol. Sorry gents. Yes. it's here. I just gave it a spin with headphones but I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to use it. I'd like to go into my iMac and out to my JBL monitors. I have a Saffire interface connected via FireWire. I guess I have to go from the SPDIF out of the AF3 into the SPDIF in of the Saffire correct? I want to leave my monitors being fed by the Saffire since it's a family computer and don't want the kids having to turn on the AF3 so they can watch YT vids.

Thanks!
Dave

Yeah just use the SPDIF out into the Saffire and you'll be good.

Just ordered one and some right angle adapters from Amazon. I have a bunch but they're either too short or too rigid. I'm afraid the strain on the jacks on the AF3 or Saffire could damage it. I could do XLR but the XLR jacks are on the front of my Saffire and don't want that.

Back
Top Bottom