First day "tweaking"

LukeTheMore

Hi everybody !

I need your help to understand the way to use the preamp / cabinet simulation ...

If I go to the "GLOBAL" menu I have:

POWER AMP (on / off / on-no thump)
this is the emulation of a "power amp" (manual, page 94) ... but every "AMP" have is own "power amp simulation" or it is a "generic amp emulation" ? If I play thru a PC with nearfield monitor, I should put it "on" ? If I play thru a poweramp --> guitar cabinet, I should put if "off" ?

CABINET (active / bypassed)
this active / not active the "CAB" block into my presets ... right ? Same question: If should let it "active" if I want to hear the emulation of 2X12, 4X12, 1X15 cabs ... even if I use a poweramp --> guitar cabinet ? The manual suggest to turn it on "active" only when you play thru a "full range" speakers ...

DEFAULT TONESTK (active / passive)
what does it means ??? I read the manual but it's not so clear ...

SPILL OVER (off / delay / reverb / both)
this is the spillover between patches ... right ? If I leave it on "both" when I change preset I'll hear the effect of the old preset even if I changed my sound ... right ?

Sorry for these stupid questions, but I got nice sounds on my PC with active monitors ... not "so nice" sounds on my 2X12 cab ... :(

I'm trying to understand the right settings ...

Thanks ! ;)

Last edited:
Hi, not stupid questions at all. Sometimes it takes a few reads thru the manual while being on the Axe to understand everything.

Power Amp - this is whether or not the Axe-Fx is modeling the power amp section of the particular amp. Each amp has it's own sim, it's not a generic emulation. I always leave it on. Some people prefer to turn it off if they're using their own external power amp that tends to color the sound alot. If it's a neutral sounding power amp then definitely leave it on. I think the consensus is to leave it on all the time.

Cab sim - if you're using the Axe-Fx with a guitar cabinet, turn it off, otherwise, always on. When I play thru my guitar cab I just don't include a cabinet block in the routing.

Default tonestack - if it's on it models the tonestack of that particular amp. When it's off it becomes a (iirc) a semi-parametric EQ that has a fixed amount of gain above and below the midpoint. I'm sure somebody can explain it much better.

Spillover - eh, I'm not sure, haven't really messed with that.

What's the setup with your 2x12 cab, and what kind of speakers are in it? Definitely have the cab sims off, or don't include a cab block. I play a Marshall 4x12 with my Flexi using the 4-cable method and it sounds amazing.

Thanks for you reply !

I spent all the day turning on / off these "parameters": at least, if I play with into the power amp (Rocktron Velocity) the the 2X12 cab (2X Celestion G12H), I turned off even "power amp", even "cabinet" option ... it's sounding "better"

Now I'm fighting with the parameters of the AMP block ... it's not a joke ... it's a WORK !!! :geek

I run a line with cab sims to output1 which goes to a little mixer and headphones or recording medium etc. I put the cab block at the end of the patch with a shunt right before it going to the fx out which goes to output2, then to power amp, cabs. Doing it this way effectively let's me leave cab sims on but they don't go out to the real cabs. I've found that I have to use a comparable cab sim to the real deal when setting up patches or it sounds like crap either through the cabs or the phones depending on which one I used to set up the patch.

If I use the 4x12 v30 cab Sim with a PEQ after it that takes out some extreme low end and some of the top and pushes the mid and upper mid, it sounds about the same through my real cabs(v30 loaded Marshall, Avatar and a Mesa) or through the headphones. YMMV.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ohh and with regards to cab block, starting off leave all the advanced stuff alone. Set the EQ to noon and adjust slightly away from that to get the sound you want. Just about all of my patches have bass at 1130, mid at noon, and high at 1230 with brt on. I set the master to like 3.5 or something below 4 and gain to taste. Leave everything else the way it is. If I need more control over the EQ I use a peq after the amp block.

Good luck an enjoy!

Hi Max ...

it's a great idea to put the "Cab" just on one channel ... I'll try the same settings ... :p

I'll experiment even with the EQ block !

The global menu is just a clever way to adjust your patches/setup.

Tonestack: when you call a new amp, you can choose axefx to load passive tonestack or active.

Amp & Cab. Let's suppose you go direct to PA: you store your patches with amp & cabs active. You go to a jam, but there's only one head & 4x12. You don't need to edit each preset to disable amp and bypass cab. Switch off global param, and you have a change to have an useable sound. Swtich them on when you are back at home. Your patches are untouched.

Spillover determs how the delay trails from one patch to another. You can choose to clear all delay, or let it trail into new patch.

Shoudn't spillover be a parameter on the delay block instead of being a global parameter? What if you want your delay to spillover on one patch, but not on another? Do you have to just manually go turn spillover back off?

Quoting Yek.
"It is enabled globally in Global > Config. Plus: the preset you’re switching to MUST contain a Delay and/or Reverb block. You can put them in the last row on their own for example, without an input, as long as they are connected to the output. "

You should read Yeks How To's, they're an awesome way to start.

Also there's the bypass mode when using delay in parallel rows. Mute in mutes everything except spillover of delay trails and reverb.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom