AFIII Presets First commercial U2 pack for AF3

Third-party preset or preset pack for the Axe-Fx III

edo

Power User
Vendor
I was waiting for the "vendor" badge before posting this. Now that I got it, I'm happy to announce that the first commercial U2 pack for AF3 by edosounds is out. You can hear the demo samples of The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 pack (obviously based on U2's most recent tour) in the clip below. And of course it's available for AF2 and AX8 too!

I'm not affiliated with Edo, but I am a customer of his. I'm also very particular when it comes to tone in general - but U2 tones specifically.

I'm very pleased with the work he's done. I recommend his patches highly.

You will have to make some tweaks based on your specific guitars, amps, room, headphones, or FRFR... Having said that, they will be minimal... He not only gets you into the ball park, he gets you pretty damn close to home plate.

99 Euros? Wow.

Worth every penny or I guess that would be Euro!

I use them on my Axe-Fx II into my AC4C1 and AC30 or with my headphones and they all sound spot on...with no tweaks. I also used @AlGrenadine's fantastic FracTool to convert them so I can use them on my AX8, into my two amps. and once again, they sound spot on. It's actually uncanny how accurate @edo's AC30 tweaks are when I compare them to my real amps. Of course, that also has to do with the fantastic modelling of the amps. in the Fractal gear as well. Not only all that, but Edo also provides free updates with major firmware updates and has answered many, many questions over the years, not only about the presets and gear, but how to play certain parts of a song.

I can't tell you how much time I've saved by not having to tweak presets or setup multiple scenes with all the different effects Edge uses. Some people enjoy doing that, but for me, I took my first guitar lesson 14 years ago (I'll be 56 this year) to explicitly learn how to play the songs I've absolutely loved listening to since I first heard U2 in 1983. Before Edo's presets, I only knew how to play 5 or 6 songs and would spend hours tweaking and re-tweaking. Since I started using Edo's presets, I pickup a guitar, start a backing track in Bandhelper and just play. I can now play about 40+ U2 songs and I've never had so much fun. If someone were to tell my in 1992, standing in front of an 11 story tall ZooTV stage, that some day I would know how to play Until The End of The World and that it would sound damn close to the real thing, I would have told them they were nuts!

It wouldn't be right of me not to mention Michael for setting up U2GT and all his great tutorials, @nbelcik for all the fantastic tabs he's been posting and everyone else who has helped me along this wonderful journey on this forum and over at U2GT. Thank you! :) 🍻

Okay, that was longer than I had planned! lol

Having owned these now for a couple weeks, I can tell you that they are very well-constructed. Edo has spent a lot of time researching the Edge's sound, and trying to make these presets authentic.
He also took the time to answer several questions I had about the packs, which is greatly appreciated.
I adjusted the amp Drive to taste, and have made very few other changes. His takes on delays and drives are pretty spot on.
I will be using these professionally.

Yes, I'm sorry but I am also somewhat bummed out about the price point.. in CAN$ this amounts to >$150.. For comparison, Austin Buddy sells his Naked Amps pack at US$99, but it contains an ENORMOUS amount of sounds in it!

In any case.. just my 2 cents.. and I don't mean to down play the amount of work/time I'm sure went into making those presets or their quality.

Yes, I'm sorry but I am also somewhat bummed out about the price point.. in CAN$ this amounts to >$150.. For comparison, Austin Buddy sells his Naked Amps pack at US$99, but it contains an ENORMOUS amount of sounds in it!

In any case.. just my 2 cents.. and I don't mean to down play the amount of work/time I'm sure went into making those presets or their quality.

I can understand (and I'm not going to contradict) your point, but what lots of people don't take into account is that most U2 songs use an average of 4 presets (some use up to 7), most of the time each preset has nothing or very little in common with the other presets within the same song. So when you pay €99 for 20 songs, that's actually around 70-80 presets, which is slightly above 1€ per preset.
I should also mention that I offer 24/7 support and free updates on every major fw release, and besides (a lot of) time, I also invest in equipment (eg vintage pedals / racks) for A/B comparisons in order to make sure that the model sounds as close as possible to the real piece of gear used in the original tone.
Also, without disrespect for Austin Buddy and all other great preset programmers out there, making a great tone is somewhat easier and faster than making a tone based on an existing reference, because not only it has to sound good, but it has to sound alike!

For example, yesterday I started working on Slash's tone for my first non U2 pack.. within 3 minutes I was in the ballpark, it already sounded like Slash. But then I spent the following 8 hours going through all different kinds of IR's to find the ones that took the preset from the ballpark to "that's it", if you know what I mean!

I’ll be purchasing these as soon as I’m in front of my Mac. I have a couple of Edo’s packs for the II, and they were spot on... I mean ridiculously spot on for me tone wise.
I think €99 is right.
And if someone were to build a preset pack for Guns n Roses or Zz Top that hit the spot tone wise like these do on a per song basis... I would be purchasing them too.

I can understand (and I'm not going to contradict) your point, but what lots of people don't take into account is that most U2 songs use an average of 4 presets (some use up to 7), most of the time each preset has nothing or very little in common with the other presets within the same song. So when you pay €99 for 20 songs, that's actually around 70-80 presets, which is slightly above 1€ per preset.
I should also mention that I offer 24/7 support and free updates on every major fw release, and besides (a lot of) time, I also invest in equipment (eg vintage pedals / racks) for A/B comparisons in order to make sure that the model sounds as close as possible to the real piece of gear used in the original tone.
Also, without disrespect for Austin Buddy and all other great preset programmers out there, making a great tone is somewhat easier and faster than making a tone based on an existing reference, because not only it has to sound good, but it has to sound alike!

For example, yesterday I started working on Slash's tone for my first non U2 pack.. within 3 minutes I was in the ballpark, it already sounded like Slash. But then I spent the following 8 hours going through all different kinds of IR's to find the ones that took the preset from the ballpark to "that's it", if you know what I mean!

Thx for taking the time to respond edo.
Cheers,
Joce

Simply spectacular! I will purchase these tones of perfection. Thank you for these wonderful creations.

Sounds amazing Edo!!

Can I ask what pickups are in your black Strat please? I suspect that is the signature model? I am nervous about buying your presets knowing that my Strat has a very different setup - and I still might not even come close to your sounds.

Can I ask what pickups are in your black Strat please?

Assuming it’s the Edge Strat (can’t see the headstock);

Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio FS-1
Middle Pickup: Custom Stagger Fat 50s
Neck Pickup: Custom Stagger Fat 50s

I am nervous about buying your presets knowing that my Strat has a very different setup

What pickups do you have in your Strat?

I have an American Strat with CS-69 pickups and it sounds great with Edo’s presets. I also have the Signature Edge Strat. The only real difference I’ve noticed, is that the FS-1 is just a little hotter than the CS-69, but not much. The CS-69’s are very chimey and sound great with the classics.

Thanks for the info @Troopy14!

Assuming it’s the Edge Strat (can’t see the headstock);

Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio FS-1
Middle Pickup: Custom Stagger Fat 50s
Neck Pickup: Custom Stagger Fat 50s

Cool, thanks!

What pickups do you have in your Strat?

I have an American Strat with CS-69 pickups and it sounds great with Edo’s presets. I also have the Signature Edge Strat. The only real difference I’ve noticed, is that the FS-1 is just a little hotter than the CS-69, but not much. The CS-69’s are very chimey and sound great with the classics.

Mine has Bareknuckle Irish Tours, but I'm not getting near the same amount of quack or chime as Edo (I am using the blue pick correctly). I always end up boosting the treble to get more chime, but then it starts sounding too trebly and less quacky. So I suspect it could be my pups, however upgrading those is a process in my house (i.e. to be approved by my wife). I also have a set of SSL5 (Duncans) which I took off the strat because they also didn't have much chime to them - so maybe I need a new guitar...!

(i.e. to be approved by my wife)

LOL...not in a making fun way, but in a feel your pain way! Although things have become better. The key was to let her buy as many shoes, boots, purses, clothes as she wanted. Also, quietly sneak any new gear into the house, undetected. Then, don't bring it out into the open for a while. Then when you do and you get questioned about it, say exactly this..."what, that old <insert gear>? I've had that for ages!" :)

If you're on a tight budget, I would give some serious consideration to trying the CS-69's first. A used set are not that expensive and they sound great.

LOL...not in a making fun way, but in a feel your pain way! Although things have become better. The key was to let her buy as many shoes, boots, purses, clothes as she wanted. Also, quietly sneak any new gear into the house, undetected. Then, don't bring it out into the open for a while. Then when you do and you get questioned about it, say exactly this..."what, that old <insert gear>? I've had that for ages!" :)
EXACTLY my technique! I encourage her to go shopping. Never complain about her buying things.
“I’ve had that for a long time” works brilliantly. After all, in the life of an insect, a few weeks is a long time. It’s all relative!

Back
Top Bottom