First cab pack to buy for Hard rock, and Metal

I am looking at either the Ownhammer Heavy hitters vol 1, or ML Misha Mansoor bundle. Both are around the same price right now. I just got my AX8 a week ago, and have been playing around with the free Ownhammer cab, and it sounds really good. I have also found some good sounds in the factory cabs. I also have some Redwirez cabs from when I had an AxeFx Standard years ago.

I am playing through headphones most of the time for now, and will be getting either some monitors, or something like the headrush frfr speaker once some of my amps, and speakers sell.

I want IRs that are mostly good for hard rock, and metal, but I also want some variety, and some IRs that are pretty versatile. What are everyone's favourites?

Both me and Kevin (OwnHammer) produce some super high quality IR's so I'm sure you'll be happy with either. It all depends on what exactly you like. Favorite guitar sound? Favorite bands? There are many different types of metal and hard rock so I could be recommending you anything from Orange to Marshall to Mesa so it's a bit hit and miss. :)

Awesome, a response from the man himself. I have a bit of a range that I enjoy. Right now I am playing some old school Metallica, and the best cab I have found for that sound is one of the stock cabs I think 39, it is a 1960 with a T75 from Redwirez, it has that aggressive top end. Most of the time I go more for sounds like Trivium from the crusade. Even though I just play at home for now I like a good bit of cut, and clarity especially clarity in the low mids. That is why I had a PRS Archon before getting the AX8. Sometimes I go for fatter tones like five finger death punch.

Awesome, a response from the man himself. I have a bit of a range that I enjoy. Right now I am playing some old school Metallica, and the best cab I have found for that sound is one of the stock cabs I think 39, it is a 1960 with a T75 from Redwirez, it has that aggressive top end. Most of the time I go more for sounds like Trivium from the crusade. Even though I just play at home for now I like a good bit of cut, and clarity especially clarity in the low mids. That is why I had a PRS Archon before getting the AX8. Sometimes I go for fatter tones like five finger death punch.
Metallica + Five Finger Death Punch sounds to me like V30s in a 4x12 cab. In Metallica's case it's definitely the older 70w Mesa V30s. Then I would gladly recommend Cab Pack 13 that's a part of the Misha Mansoor pack, that's the pack that even Periphery used on their album Periphery III:

Obviously in that bundle you'll be covered for pretty much any tone possible. :)

That tone is pretty good, but a bit on the dark side, actually pretty close to some of the In Flames stuff which I like to play when I tune down. Here is what I mean by more of a crisp top end, I know that the bright 5150 helps as well.

That tone is pretty good, but a bit on the dark side, actually pretty close to some of the In Flames stuff which I like to play when I tune down. Here is what I mean by more of a crisp top end, I know that the bright 5150 helps as well.

I would say this is probably the newer V30 design that they use today. Also not a lot of bass on the amp but the high end doesn't suggest a super bright mic position. I would recommend the V30 from the Zilla pack based on that sound sample. :)

I picked up the cab pack, and the Zilla IRs are amazing!!! I like how there are some labeled as scooped, full etc. Makes it really easy to find a place to start. Some of the ENGL IRs are really good too!!! It will take me a while to finish going through them all, and I'll wait until I have something other than headphones for tuning my final sounds.

I picked up the cab pack, and the Zilla IRs are amazing!!! I like how there are some labeled as scooped, full etc. Makes it really easy to find a place to start. Some of the ENGL IRs are really good too!!! It will take me a while to finish going through them all, and I'll wait until I have something other than headphones for tuning my final sounds.
Wow I'm really happy like them. The Zilla IR's get amazing reviews and I think the reason is that there's so much variety and the naming is really good. You know what the IR's are going to do before you even hear it. :) It's a crazy selection of IR's so remember to have fun. You don't have to try all them in one day.

Back
Top Bottom