First Axe-Fx + Metal Foundry experiment! A new song!

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... VlVLSkE9PQ <--- EDIT: latest version

Here it is! I'm really digging this tone/song in general. ;) I'm using the CALI cab (least bass that the Axe-Fx has to offer) and I still have a huge lowcut and -6db scoop at 400hz. I guess I'll be scooping these things out in my global EQ since I can't find a IR I'm 100% pleased with. :oops: I'm surprised no one else find their AFX wayyyyyyyyy tooooooooooooo bassy! :cry:

Let me know what you thought of the song/mix/tone.

I like the song idea, good playing too. The mix for me is a little guitar heavy. The tone sounds good to me, pretty metal!

As for the bass, I agree that some of the IRs get very bassy and I generally don't use them. The EQs are there to be used, i'm sure on album sounds EQ is used massively to sculpt the sound. Have you tried the Mic sims? The SM57 for example should tighten up the bass in my experience. Don’t forget that in the ‘real world’ a cab would be mic’d up so the EQ of the mic would come into play.
Spence

Ditto to Xpenno's remarks.

What speakers are you using to mix on? Sounds alright as is, the guitars are not thin, but could still use a bit more bottom to my taste. Just a bit. The bass guitar does have a lot of space like this.
Anyway, this is a matter of taste, I guess. And shot ears.

I do like a bit stronger bass content in my tones. I think the Brit cab is quite thin... Heard some clips with the fredman IRs that sounded pretty thin to me too...
My actual fave is the German Cab because of the rounder top end, but I use the 57 sim on it and scoop a bit of 125 Hz out. It seems the B-flat (about 125Hz) on my guitars do boom quite a bit. On all of them. But they did that on my real-world Dual Recto halfstack too. So I think this is a "general" thing. Maybe it's related to the shape, they're all Strat-shaped with humbuckers.

I wasn't using the mic models at all here so maybe those would've made the guitar tone cut a bit better. Got to give those a try some day. I already have bass at 1 in the amp block but I'm still getting a lot of thump. (Depth around 2 and damp full) Then if I cut out the lows the guitar doesn't sound like a tube amp anymore. But I'm sure I'll get it right...

I just made a new mix with all the guitar EQs off (except for lowcut ofcourse) and with the guitar lower in the mix. The guitar doesn't get too bassy when it's lower in the mix like this. I haven't recorded vocals yet so I'll probably have to lower the guitar even more. I guess I'd still cut the low end of the guitar a bit since it's blocking the snare bottom at the moment. A work in progress...

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

EDIT: I've got to mention that I'm using my guitar to record bass tracks too. :) A guitar an octave lower through Ampeg simulations and using the middle pickup position on my PRS singlecoiled works amazing. Sounds pretty realistic IMO.

Sure, man! My patches are usually very simple like this one too. I don't have a MIDI interface so I'll have to write them down for you. Wow, I had depth pretty high. :) I know the treble is quite high but this is what I used with a real Mark IV when I owned one and it works here too.

AMP BLOCK: TYPE: USA LEAD 1, DRIVE: 7.01, BASS: 0.98, MID: 2.99, TREB: 7.99, PRES: 0.00, DEPTH: 5.00, DAMP: 10.00, SAG: 1.50, MSTR: 7.80, LEVEL: -8.00.

CAB BLOCK: CAB: 4x12 CALI, MIC: NONE.

That's all. I'm using a PRS Custom 24 and an early CE-24 with an alder body so that's also the reason I get so much low end. These settings don't really sound "that" good with my Music Man Petrucci guitar.

AND ONCE AGAIN I MADE A NEW MIX! Changed the drums a bit to fit the vocals yet to come. I'll remove the previous links...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... VlVLSkE9PQ

Very honest and full sound you got there. It's missing some of the high mid bite though. I'd boost around 3.5k

Loved the synthy lead theme.

Edit: Had my iTunes EQ totally screwed trying to fix a friend's guitar tone and listened to yours through it (doh!) and thought it lacked highs

I'm constantly tweaking the guitar sound and I always go back to the dry signal with just a lowcut. I can't really remember the settings in the mix above but ATM I've got a 750hz scoop of -7db... so... I've got to add that midscoop to my famous/infamous Mark IV patch. :)

Back
Top Bottom