First Axe-Fx 2 v3.0 recording - Blackmore content

oacikgoz

Inspired
I thought it's impossible to get his tone, I got a little close. You judge. Still way to go and I'm open to suggestions.

This is Plexi Normal in "Vintage" voicing, damp maxed out, power tube hardness maxed out, master max, gain 9 o'clock. Boosted with a tape drive in front with level maxed out. I'm using Kinman Woodstock Plus single coil set. I think the bridge pickup is a little "too meaty", probably can get even closer with vintage pickups. That's a major part of his tone.

Blackmore by oacikgoz on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This one is recorded with Lace Hot Golds instead, I think this is closer.

http://soundcloud.com/oacikgoz/mistreated

Last edited:
Sounds good to me - really like the controlled whammy as well :D

How does the neck pickup sound with this patch?

The way you're using the whammy (or bending notes) in the same controlled musical way Ritchie did. 8)

Hey thanks, no whammy, just finger vibrato... Blackmore songs are finger-killer. Actually I'm getting a scalloped-neck strat, hopefully I'll suffer less with that.

Listening to it a few times, I realize I really need scooped-sounding pickups to nail it completely. Like Custom Shop 69s...

You are right about the pickups because it could use a little more clarity but it sounds good bro!! I bet you could tweak it and totally get it without a pickup change.

Post the Patch, i'd like to try my hand at it !!

I thought it's impossible to get his tone, I got a little close. You judge. Still way to go and I'm open to suggestions.

This is Plexi Normal in "Vintage" voicing, damp maxed out, power tube hardness maxed out, master max, gain 9 o'clock. Boosted with a tape drive in front with level maxed out. I'm using Kinman Woodstock Plus single coil set. I think the bridge pickup is a little "too meaty", probably can get even closer with vintage pickups. That's a major part of his tone.

Blackmore by oacikgoz on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

oacikgoz,

Well done! Excellent playing and tone! You're probably correct about if you had the vintage-voiced pickups it might have a little more of that single-coil "cut" with less lower-mids...That said, it really is excellent and close anyways...It actually reminds me a bit more of the tone Blackmore got in the "later-Rainbow-era" or during the Deep Purple - "Perfect Strangers-era." (IMO) that's when Blackmore's tone got a little "gainier" (when he wanted it to be.)

Great job all around!

Bill

Very nice job! Get some SD Quarterpounds pickups and BSM pedal and you are in Blackmore tone heaven with the AxeFX!

Very nice job! Get some SD Quarterpounds pickups and BSM pedal and you are in Blackmore tone heaven with the AxeFX!

Actually he never used SD Quarterpounds. He always favored low-output pickups. At some point he was using stacked humbuckers but he screwed them all the way down on the pickguard. Apparently he was so happy when Lace pickups were out, they are low-noise single coils.

I shouldn't need a BSM pedal, I know I can achieve the same with Axe-Fx, BUT I need to know the correct parameters.

Wow one of my favorite all time tunes and one I spent many hours learning in my formative years. Great tone, playing, and nailing the vibe of the guitar track...kudos!

Blackmore always stated he was trying to get an AC30 sound out of his Marshalls (which he didn't really like apparently, but you had to have a stack in the 70's lol), and even his Majors were modded, perhaps another preamp tube/gain stages allegedly...I've even read he used to use an AC30 for a preamp/line out, etc. into his Majors. I thought that was just too weird to be true but I've seen pics, and videos, of an AC30 behind his stacks and it's got connections, etc. so it makes you wonder ;-).

Last edited:
This is what I don't understand. There is no possible way a Marshall Major would sound like AC30. Apples and oranges. AC30 has no negative feedback, damping zero, Marshall Major has an ultralinear power stage with high damping. AC30 is loose and gritty, Marshall Major is tight and crunchy. I think he sounds very different in the first 2-3 albums vs Burn era. It's obvious his setup changed dramatically.

I also read from other sources, what you just wrote, I still don't get it.

Yes, his tone from Burn onwards to the first few Rainbow albums are my favorite Blackmore tones, and it does sound like he's using a preamp with a fuller voicing with more gain than a normal Marshall. He also hit the preamp hard with his tape recorder booster. But yea, those two amps are worlds apart, especially in the power section, but if he did put in the rumored extra preamp tube, voiced it Vox-like (or to his taste) it would be an interesting combination.

It's hard to know exactly what he had done to his Majors, but his tone seems to me like he did do mods to the preamp and drove the front end pretty hard to get a fair bit of gain/dirt before the power amp. He even used higher output pickups at that time to push it more...

I love his tone on this clip:
Deep Purple - No No No take2 HD 1971 Rehearsal Session - YouTube

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom