First AX8 Gigs - Still Smiling

LerxstFan

Inspired
I played three times this past weekend using the AX8 for the first time.

Quick impressions - the sound is so much more detailed and amp-like than my old rig (11 Rack). I don't know how to describe it, but there's no high end frequency or digital 'swirl' to dial out right from the start. I know that the IR's help a lot, and this is the first time I have used them, so I'm sure they contribute to the improved tones I'm hearing. The AX8 just sounds good. Best gear purchase I have made.

Playing live, it was easy to adjust presets on the fly - 'Store, Enter, Enter' is my new friend! I sent a mono signal to the board, and may run stereo just to see if there's any difference, good or bad. I will dial out more of the bottom on the cabs and increase the low cut next time since there was still too much low end for some tunes - I don't want Anyway You Want It to sound like I'm playing metal. The cleans sound so good, and the lead presets I got from a few people on the forum sound awesome.

It was also nice to not have any wires around me to step over or trip on since I just plugged into a power strip at the front and hooked up my EV monitor and the AX8. One of the sound techs asked where my amp was - I said this is it. It's such a simple and clean set up - love it!

Next up is an expression pedal and learning more about the presets and getting deeper into the fine-tuning.

I know I've only had the AX8 for a few weeks and am just getting started on this adventure, but if anyone out there is unsure about using an AX8 live, it's a GREAT all-in-one option, easy to use, and sounds amazing. For the price, support, and community, it doesn't get much better.

Lol - I won't dispute that.

The 11 Rack served me well for nearly 8 years, but the AX8 can do more and just sounds better to me.

I just bought an AX8 last week. Got a heck of a deal - $700 and it is mint. I am brand new to the whole modeling scenario but was able to go home and the download the Fractal-Bot and AX8 editor and upgraded to ver.10 within the first hours of owning it. I haven't gotten to gig with it yet but love what I am hearing. I am running the XLRs to the FOH and the effects send to a Randall RT 2/50 stereo amp to a stereo cab. Still setting up my scenes but man this beautiful. I am using a DVP-3 for volume pedal and a Mission Eng. SP-1 for wah and pitch shifting... So much to learn but it is coming together quickly. I did put a Freqout at the front of my signal chain.

Where'd you find an AX8 for $700?? I went full circle, Bought an AX8, sold it, got an AXE XL+, was too much for my needs, sold it, tried the BOSS GT-1000, didn't like it, sold it, now back to AX8. Was trying to get a good deal on Reverb and eBay, but they want way too much for a used one with no warranty. Ordered a new one and now watching the tracking on UPS.

boz52 - right place at the right time on Craigslist in Dallas. Dude was legit, still had the original box. Although it was at ver. 8.xx. He was asking $900, I threw out the $700 offer thinking I'd have to go more but damn he accepted.

Ran my AX8 (Friedman 2018 model) and my Friedman Phil X with a 4x12 and well stocked board side by side at gigs. 2 different soundguys preferred the sound of the AX8.

I run my AX8 through my CLR and musicians in the crowd always ask me where my mic'd amp is because it sounds so good. There's another thread about the step up in sound with the III, but I don't find anything lacking, except maybe very slightly longer than I'd like switching time. AX8 is ideal for gigging.

I have been gigging with Ax8 for almost 2 years. IMO, this is the ultimate rig for club and small venue gigs. I play in a classic rock cover band. The Ax8 covers every tone and effect I could possibly need. Easy set up, light, multiple options for monitoring. Best of all, consistent tone. You know what it will sound like, night after night. I used to play Mesa amps. If the room is under-powered or the power is spiking up and down, tube amps can sound like crap. Ax8 always sounds great. Enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom