First 5150 Clip

D20

Power User
Hey everyone,

This is my first clip i have posted here. Last night i record this in an hour or so using the 5150 amp with Brit 4X12/Cali 4X12. Hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think/what i can improve.

PS- I was wondering if there is anything you guys could suggest to mute the strings you aren't playing when recording? You may be able to hear what i mean in this clip....

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1046513/5150%20Test.mp3

I think I know what you are talking about. Could hear some random off notes at times. For me when recording anything is fair game. I have used foam or painters masking tape to mute strings at times when extra noise from rogue notes are troublesome or I'm having exceptionally bad technique day. Clip sounded good.

Velcro is your best friend. :)

It sounds good, but did you pan the cabs wide Left <-> Right? sounds a little bit like it has phase issues, or my ears are getting worse.

Charlie Wardick said:
I think I know what you are talking about. Could hear some random off notes at times. For me when recording anything is fair game. I have used foam or painters masking tape to mute strings at times when extra noise from rogue notes are troublesome or I'm having exceptionally bad technique day. Clip sounded good.

Cool! Thanks for listening and commenting Charlie! Technique could very well be my problem or maybe it was just because it was late last night when i recorded this and i was exhausted. BTW...You still have those 81's for grabs? I might take you up on them for my baritone.

Velcro is your best friend. :)

It sounds good, but did you pan the cabs wide Left <-> Right? sounds a little bit like it has phase issues, or my ears are getting worse.

Thanks Jocke for the comment and for listening! i will give velcro a try for sure next time. :D

For the clip i just panned the tracks L and R in cubase after i recorded the guitars. Each guitar track was recorded in stereo with the cab block in stereo with different mics on the two cabs. Is there a better way to do this with my patch that you guys can suggest?

I still have the 81/81 pair and pots, etc. PM and pay the man already! :lol:

Another thing I noticed sometimes with me and again its technique thing ... when I play my 7 string or 5 string bass, sometimes my wedding band will cause some slide guitar action on the higher strings other deadful noises.

Charlie Wardick said:
I still have the 81/81 pair and pots, etc. PM and pay the man already! :lol:

Another thing I noticed sometimes with me and again its technique thing ... when I play my 7 string or 5 string bass, sometimes my wedding band will cause some slide guitar action on the higher strings other deadful noises.

Thanks Charlie! I will PM you tomorrow about the 81/81 set.

I never even thought about that it could be my ring before. I'll have to try and see if that makes a difference as well. Thanks man!

D20 said:
For the clip i just panned the tracks L and R in cubase after i recorded the guitars. Each guitar track was recorded in stereo with the cab block in stereo with different mics on the two cabs. Is there a better way to do this with my patch that you guys can suggest?

Hm. I'd pan both cabs in mono, blending them in the AxeFX, or record pan them hard and record two mono tracks per take. Then pan the in Cubase, and make sure that the same takes are in the same place (left or right). Just for that extra beef.

Clawfinger said:
D20 said:

Hm. I'd pan both cabs in mono, blending them in the AxeFX, or record pan them hard and record two mono tracks per take. Then pan the in Cubase, and make sure that the same takes are in the same place (left or right). Just for that extra beef.

Thanks for the tip Jocke! I think i understand now. t use a VolIf i jus/Pan block at the end of my signal and Pan L -50 and Pan R -50 would this do? Under the Cab block do i need to take the Cab R and Pan R -50 as well? Thanks again for all the help and comments!

Back
Top Bottom