First 3 days with Axe FX 3, I thought it was the worst sound ever (b/c I didn't read the manual)

I don’t think it’s necessary to have permanent indicators. My suggestion was aimed at a (perhaps just temporarily displayed) warning at startup.

May not work for those that are color blind.

Agreed, overlooked that. Change the colors; but it's another reason for having the icon.

I don’t think it’s necessary to have permanent indicators. My suggestion was aimed at a (perhaps just temporarily displayed) warning at startup.

Maybe. That makes it something you have to catch on boot, like the infernal PC BIOS message. Longer duration of the message would help. I liked the suggestion of the icons IF there is screen real estate only because it's a reminder of the current state. But then there will be forum messages about "what's the speaker icon on my screen?!" :)

but if the honeymoon phase doesn't wear off,
If it ever does feel like the honeymoon may be winding down, close your eyes, pick an amp and have fun discovering new tones!

I will suggest one thing that was recommended in the AX8 forum that helped me a lot; take the time once a week or so to go through every parameter in a block. The idea is to find out what each parameter does and how they interact with each other. I started with the amp and cab blocks, then the effects I use most.

The default settings of the blocks and models will typically sound really good with only minor adjustments. But I discovered a handful of parameters that are 'must tweaks' for most amps and effects I've used. You'll probably only find and use a couple consistently as well but having an idea of where to look when a preset just needs that last little tweak can make all the difference between a good preset and tonal bliss.

This is hands down the great, most complicated unit you will ever own. I have since sold every piece of gear and will never look back. Saying that, you should read the entire manual front to back, then read it again! There is no substitute for knowledge when it comes to the Axe. The good news is that if you are still confused, this is the best damn forum on the face of the planet, and everyone is here to help. Enjoy!

Absolutely hands down the greatest peace of gear I own :D;)

On the AxeFx IV, there will be a finger-print scan soft button on the face-screen, instead of the rocker toggle.

If the fingerprint is new, all advanced settings are disabled, amp and cab settings are auto-enabled, and presets revert to defaults. Once you've achieved 100 power-cycles, you may advance to the next level.

On the AxeFx IV, there will be a finger-print scan soft button on the face-screen, instead of the rocker toggle.

If the fingerprint is new, all advanced settings are disabled, amp and cab settings are auto-enabled, and presets revert to defaults. Once you've achieved 100 power-cycles, you may advance to the next level.

I'm holding out for the retinal scan version. :rolleyes:

Ok, after 40 years of playing guitar and owning every amp/guitar you can think of, i can officially say i have no idea what I am doing. Just got the 3 yesterday. It sounds terrible. Just like Stasis20 said. My power amp modeling says on, cabinet modeling says active. I am clearing doing something wrong. Ill play around with the fancy stuff later. I just want to get some sound that doesnt make me think it broken. Am I doing it in the right place? Any guidance would be appreciated. I am as beginner as you can get with this stuff despite having watched 300 youtube videos. Thanks.

Ok, after 40 years of playing guitar and owning every amp/guitar you can think of, i can officially say i have no idea what I am doing. Just got the 3 yesterday. It sounds terrible. Just like Stasis20 said. My power amp modeling says on, cabinet modeling says active. I am clearing doing something wrong. Ill play around with the fancy stuff later. I just want to get some sound that doesnt make me think it broken. Am I doing it in the right place? Any guidance would be appreciated. I am as beginner as you can get with this stuff despite having watched 300 youtube videos. Thanks.

What are you listening through? How is it connected to speakers etc?
What type of instrument are you using?

Have you done a full factory reset (if you bought second hand)?

How are you listening to it? Choice of monitor/FRFR speaker can have a huge impact.

For me, input trim has been important. Particularly with Fenders and other clean amps using humbuckers I sometimes have trouble getting the clean headroom I want until I turn input trim to .5-.6.

Sigh. Buy a Ferrari, and don't know how to drive.

Not knocking (too much), but a reset clears all ills...then start from scratch.

I'm really pretty boring/traditional when it comes to guitar tone. I like a good Tweed, Blackface, and Vox. If that's all I ever had for the rest of my life, I would be ok. But every now and then I get the itch for something different, or I just want to experiment with effects, and that's what lead me here. The last time I tried any modeling gear was the Line 6 Flextone amp 15~ years ago. It's a completely different world now. The sound is so realistic now, but the touch sensitivity is really what has impressed me the most. That warmth and reaction is what was always missing with older modeling gear. It always felt like my playing (and even my guitar choice) didn't matter much before, because the processed signal always came out more or less the same. This feels so close to the real thing that it's a little alarming.

I'm going to settle in with the Axe Fx for a few months, but if the honeymoon phase doesn't wear off, I'll likely have more than a few amps going up for sale.
"Welcome my son... Welcome to the machine"

For me, input trim has been important. Particularly with Fenders and other clean amps using humbuckers I sometimes have trouble getting the clean headroom I want until I turn input trim to .5-.6.
That's why most Fenders (and many other brands) have two input jacks. The lower sensitivity jack has half the gain (Input Trim = 0.5). Traditionally you use the lower gain input for a guitar with humbuckers.

Don’t feel bad. Imagine spending 7k on a rack mount effects unit and only hearing feedback loops or nothing for a month.

That's why most Fenders (and many other brands) have two input jacks. The lower sensitivity jack has half the gain (Input Trim = 0.5). Traditionally you use the lower gain input for a guitar with humbuckers.

Remember this playing various amps with different inputs using a switcher (so I could just change guitars, and hit the switch to go from LO to HIGH or another amp.)

Those switchers were so poorly built that they always took a severe dookie on my tone every time I plugged in.

I don't miss those times.

What are you listening through? How is it connected to speakers etc?
What type of instrument are you using?
Im listening through JBL MK3 studio monitors, with a Suhr Modern. I downloaded a Mark V preset and it sounds wicked. Some of the other presets ive downloaded sound great. Most of the factory ones sound dull. Some sound ok. I have one thats edge of break up that sounds great but the E and A are flubby. Im sure its user error. I just expected it so sound better out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom